PDA

View Full Version : Ipod Nano or Ipod Classic?

DreaminofDisney24
02-25-2009, 01:24 PM
I'm trying to decide between the two...DH thinks that the new Nano is overpriced (the 16gb) when for a little more you can get a Classic with 120 GB...I'm still torn between the two...thoughts?

NotaGeek
02-25-2009, 01:31 PM
Splurge and get the iPod touch. It's worth the money. The Nano is nice but the screen is small and the classic is practically obsolete. The price difference between the classic and the touch is WAY worth it considering the cool features. You will never need space for 30,000 songs ... the medium sized Touch has enough room for LOTS of songs and a few movies...

DixieBelle
02-25-2009, 02:10 PM
That is exactly what I was going to say!...:thumbsup:
You can't go wrong with the Touch. We gave one to our 13 year old son and he LOVES it!!..:cloud9:
We added a wireless router to our home computer and he can surf the web on it, text his friends, and was able to chat with his mom on facebook when he went on a class trip. Anywhere that has free wi-fi he has been able to log on. He has downloaded 2 movies and lots of songs and games, and he still has a lot of memory left. I think I am going to get one too. It's that cool!...:number1:
On a side note, two of my good friends bought a classics right before christmas and they are both really sorry that they did not get the Touch. like NotaGeek posted, the classic is practically obsolete. The 16g touch is the way to go.

DreaminofDisney24
02-25-2009, 02:11 PM
The Ipod Touch really is cool...but how bout if money is an issue?

GoinGoofyPlanninThisTrip
02-25-2009, 02:49 PM
The Touch is nice, but there is a big difference between 120gb and 32gb. I just got a classic and have 25gb of music on it along with another 5gb of photos and 12 full length movies with gigs and gigs to spare. 32gb is just too small regardless how nice the device.

Forgot to mention the nearly $200 difference in price too...that's almost enough money saved to get an iphone!

kakn7294
02-25-2009, 02:53 PM
I have an iPod Nano 3rd Generation - the little square one that sells for about $150. For the most part, I love it - it's small and lightweight and easy to use. However, the iTunes program can be a real pain. I have 2 real complaints:

1 - Whatever you have in iTunes in the way of content for your iPod will also take up a large chunk of memory in your computer.

2 - It syncs with the iPod everytime you plug it into the computer and sometimes removes songs or programs that I didn't want removed so I have to go put them back in again. When I'm just charging it, I use a wall charger rather than the computer. I assume that would be the case for all iPod models.

My only other complaint is that mine is only 4 GB and it obviously severely limits what it can hold in the way of video content but with the computer memory issue, that's probably better for me anyway. Any hey, it was free...

VWL Mom
02-25-2009, 03:08 PM
We are split with Nanos and the Classic at my house. DS13 has the Classic and has quite a few songs and videos on it.

2 - It syncs with the iPod everytime you plug it into the computer and sometimes removes songs or programs that I didn't want removed so I have to go put them back in again.

You can go into ITunes and uncheck the sync feature. This way you can add and remove as you please.

DixieBelle
02-25-2009, 03:12 PM
I just got a classic and have 25gb of music on it along with another 5gb of photos and 12 full length movies with gigs and gigs to spare.

I guess if you want 12 movies on your ipod, you will need 120g.......:eek:

Marker
02-25-2009, 03:17 PM
If I may latch on to this IPod topic, could someone convince me of my need for an actually IPod over an MP3 player of another sort, and MUCH less price?

I've never been one who cared two cents for using brand names. In my perhaps uneducated view, IPods are to MP3 players what Starbucks are to Coffee.... overpriced for the sake of the brand name. To my way of thinking, I'm good with Folger's, and I'm good with less trendy brand of MP3 player.

Currently, what I use for an MP3 player is my phone. It's a Samsung Instinct, from Sprint. I have a ton of music on it, a movie, an episode of WKRP, an episode of Fraggle Rock, some Disney World videos, several videos of my grandson taken with the Instinct, several pictures. I have full internet access, access to my email and calendars (personal and work), live and on demand streaming TV, turn-by-turn GPS Navigation, games and applications..... and it's a phone too. I don't haven't yet see a need for an I-Pod to replace this.

With a multipurpose device such as this, is a device such as an IPod becoming obsolete?

I listen to it pretty much all day long. Listening to music or a podcast. I often start my day at my desk with CNN on to catch the news in the morning.

DixieBelle
02-25-2009, 03:25 PM
Marker posted: Currently, what I use for an MP3 player is my phone.

Sounds like you would not need an ipod.
What you have is covered with an iphone.
An ipod is great for someone who does not want a monthly bill or a contract. The downside is that you can only access the internet where there is free wi-fi. but once there, you can text your friends phones or surf the net. My DS has found quite a lot of places that offer the free wi-fi and it works well for him.... :)

kakn7294
02-25-2009, 03:28 PM
You can go into ITunes and uncheck the sync feature. This way you can add and remove as you please.I know but for some reason, no matter if I check that box or not, it still does it. I've even removed and reloaded the program to no avail.

GoinGoofyPlanninThisTrip
02-25-2009, 03:44 PM
I guess if you want 12 movies on your ipod, you will need 120g.......:eek:Would it be less eye-popping for you if I told you most are Disney movies for the kids to watch? :mickey:

DixieBelle
02-25-2009, 03:48 PM
Would it be less eye-popping for you if I told you most are Disney movies for the kids to watch? :mickey:

I was just thinking that If I had that much memory, I could put all of my PIXAR movies on it! LOL...:D

ibelieveindisneymagic
02-25-2009, 04:14 PM
Hi, I'm ibelieveindisneymagic's DH here,

The main question is what do want to use tht iPod for? I have the older 80gb classic and I use for music and podcasts.

My music is over 44 gb with over 9000 songs.

I LOVE having all my music with me at all times.

If you are going to put alot of stuff on it get the classic. If you want surf the web and that kind of thing go for the touch.

DreaminofDisney24
02-25-2009, 04:26 PM
Good question! I would like to put most of my music on it...which isn't really all that much-lol! I'm kinda picky about my cds-i usually listen to one over and over and over...or just make a couple playlists with fave songs. I do like Itunes (or other programs like it) because I don't have to buy a whole cd for just one song! So my ipod would hold several cds, some playlists, and maybe a movie, some audio books, or some tv shows. Once I'm done that movie or tv show though, it would go off the ipod. I have tons of space on my laptop (285 GB), and so far I have 3.67 GB worth of music,not counting some christmas albums (see! Told you I don't have much! lol).
I think the biggest hangup is the price stuff-I think the 16 GBNano would suit my needs, but for only 50 bucks more I could get 120GB...

PirateLover
02-25-2009, 05:33 PM
I store way too much on my iPod so I'd definitely opt for something bigger than the nano. As far as what you said, Marker, I kind of like having my iPod with music, podcasts, videos etc separate from my phone. I think it just comes down to personal preference.

IamBelle
02-25-2009, 06:00 PM
I think the nano is better than the classic. My mom has the classic, and, even though it holds A LOT, it is really big and bulky, hard to take with you for walks, excercise, etc, unless you buy one of those arm straps that hold it.
If you want an ipod to listen to while doing an activity, i personally think the ipod shuffles are the best, they have no screen and only hold a few hundred songs, but they clip on you so you're hands-free.
If you are just looking for an ipod, and doesn't matter if you are hands-free, the nano w/ the screen is the best choice. It is small, less bulky, and you can still watch shows on them.

JPL
02-25-2009, 07:07 PM
I have the Ipod Classic and love it. I have alot of music on it as well as some podcasts and videos. It's great for the morning commute :thumbsup:

Dznygrl79
03-04-2009, 08:53 AM
Okay so I work for Apple (at least for the next week then I start a new job yay me!) and when you go into the store they ask you a few questions..about what you will use your ipod for and how you plan on protecting it. With the amount of memory you need for movies I would jump on classic and the screen is bigger, however if you think it could be dropped by the kids I would go with a nano. I say this because nano has a solid state drive which means if it gets dropped it less likely to break. Just go with whatever you feel will work with you go to the apple store and play with them both see which feels better to you.