PDA

View Full Version : considering desserts

beksy
02-24-2009, 09:38 PM
I'm down to 73 days and running out of things to plan! I was looking at some menus and noticed that at Coral Reef (I think that's the only restaurant I saw with this) a dessert says that is contains alcohol. I know when you cook something it takes the effects of the alcohol out; is that the case with the desserts or are they still alcoholic? The chocolate wave sounds great but I'm on some medicines that won't let me have alcohol so I was curious if this dessert (or any other that I overlooked) should be avoided? Thanks!

laprana
02-25-2009, 09:30 AM
We ate at the Coral Reef during out last trip and everyone in our group had the Chocolate Wave. It's sooooo good! :tasty: I'm not sure if the actual dessert (the chocolate cake part) has alcohol in it, but it does come with some kind of brandied or cooked cherries that have a really strong alcohol taste. I don't think it was cooked out, or at least not cooked out completely! You might be able to get it without the cherries, though, and be OK. I would just ask your server which part of the dessert has the alcohol, just to be safe! Have a great trip!! :mickey:

SBETigg
02-25-2009, 09:55 AM
The amount of alcohol that remains after cooking is usually minimal enough that it won't interfere with meds or cause problems, but if you're really concerned, I would just ask if you can get an alcohol-free version. They're pretty good about special requests when they can accommodate.

TheDuckRocks
02-25-2009, 10:48 AM
The alcohol in the Wave dessert are brandied cherries and the alcohol has NOT been cooked out, they are marinated in the brandy and are pretty juicy. One member of our party is a recovering alcoholic and ordered the Wave without noticing the alcohol notation and just from the smell he knew he would have a problem with it and traded desserts with someone else at the table.

Belle_0717
02-25-2009, 02:34 PM
Be careful at Boma in AKL. They have at least 3 desserts that contain alcohol.

beksy
02-25-2009, 07:10 PM
Thanks for the tips (and the heads-up at Boma...I hadn't seen or heard anything about any of the restaurants but Coral Reef!). I'll have to check on getting the wave without the cherries!