PDA

View Full Version : WDW without the kids

Suz36
02-24-2009, 04:49 PM
Have you ever gone to the World without your young children, and if so, how did you deal with the guilt? I'd love for just my DH and I to go to F&W, and besides wondering if I can talk him into it, I'm concerned with how the kids, 8 and 5, will feel about M&D going to Disney without them!!

SBETigg
02-24-2009, 05:00 PM
That's a tough one. I think you deserve the adult time and it will be a lot of fun if you can manage it. If you take frequent trips with the kids, then they should be able to understand that their parents need some time alone, too.

That said, In April, we're finally taking our first trip without the kids since our honeymoon nineteen years ago. Our kids are seventeen and fifteen. They're both accepting of us going without them, but my daughter is pretty envious and wishing she could come along. I have guilt. I'm just dealing with it, and she hugs me and says she wishes I will relax and have a good time. Such a sweetheart! But yes, I understand your dilemma and it's tough for them at any age, doesn't get easier, so why not go and enjoy your trip, then bring them back soon. Best wishes!

murphy1
02-24-2009, 05:11 PM
Go!!! I just went on a quickie trip yesterday to Epcot and had dinner at V & A and it was one of my best trips (and I grew up near it). I would have had a hard time going to MK w/o the kids though, but I saw lots of just grown ups around.

sisterslovindisney
02-24-2009, 05:13 PM
My sister and I went to WDW in 2005 without any of our kids. They still don't know about it! We told them we were going to Atlanta for a sisters trip. We did actually drive through Atlanta so we didn't lie:) We decided we will tell them when the youngest turns 18 then they can't hold it against us. We had a great time and didn't feel guilty at all.

Melanie
02-24-2009, 05:40 PM
My husband and I had honeymooned at Disney, so it was only fitting we return for our 10th anniversary and we did so without our kids, who were 7 and 5 at the time. Justification was they go often, and they had a great time with their grandparents while we were gone. There was still a little guilt, but we had a grand adults-only trip. We did lots of resort exploring, played golf (well, my husband did), ate at nicer restaurants, etc. Personally I think during Food & Wine Festival would be a great time to go without kids. Plan something special for them to do as well while you are gone. :)

sassafras
02-24-2009, 05:50 PM
My hubby and I used to make it a regular habit that every year we would drop our boys at their respective colleges, and then go to DW by ourselves-kind of like that commercial that used to run. We enjoyed our trips and after a summer of being overrun with teenage boys, it was a welcome break. We always told them where we were going, and since neither of them are Disney freaks like us, they were ok with it. It also helped that we brought lots of presents back. I always worried about them and there was a little guilt, but we always had a nice relaxing time!:D

Iluvpooh
02-24-2009, 06:11 PM
My DH and I have been on 2 trips without my kids-Once when they were 1&2(We thought they were too young) and again for our 10 Year anniversary when they were 4&5. We told them where we were going and why and brought back tons of great stuff for them. They stayed with my Mom who lives out of state so they were excited about thier own "little vacation". BTW_We did go both times in October for F&W festival and it is much more fun without the kids!

Donald
02-24-2009, 06:24 PM
My kids still do not know that I went without them last November for the F & W festival. My kids never really enjoy the world showcase, and would not appreciate strolling leasurely sampling food and wine from around the world.

Sometimes you just have to do something special for you and your spouse/friend.

Go and enjoy-take a class-go to the spa-ride EE 3 times in a row!!

bshaw96
02-24-2009, 06:43 PM
We did, last February when DD was 9 and DS 6. I did not think I was gonna feel the least bit guilty, but I did when I got there. But it was still a lot of fun. It was nice to be able to have "adult time". It was very romantic and very laid back. But I'd be lying if I didn't think thruout the vacation at points "Oh, the kids would like this ride" or " DD would love these fireworks" etc. Would I do it again without the kids? Yes. We've decided to go every year, and every other year will be adults only. Oh, fyi, the kids could've cared less bc they were being spoiled at grandma's all week :thumbsup:

1EeyoreFan
02-24-2009, 06:51 PM
My DH and I spent 4 glorious days for my 40th b-day celebration without the children a couple of weeks ago. We did feel some guilt and spent a lot of time pointing out things the kids would enjoy if they were there. HOWEVER, we had a blast! We have not had as much as a dinner out together in a very long time.

We really enjoyed our couple time. We enjoyed a few adult beverages, strolled at a slow luxurious pace, and did not follow a schedule except for ADRs. We were able to celebrate my b-day at a fabulous later dinner at the California Grill which we would not have done with a 3 yr. old in tow! lol.

We did miss our children but had the reassurance that they were being spoiled rotten by grandparents! I highly recommend taking the time to reconnect as a couple. (I guess I should mention that DD was able to go in October so that helped me justify leaving her behind. DS age 15 is in high school and unable to leave school for an extended period of time.)

azcavalier
02-24-2009, 07:29 PM
Pretty much the same as everyone else. We did it last year for our 13th anniversary, and we told our kids up front what we were doing. I thought that they were gonna whine or throw a fit or something, but they were totally cool with it. And they were 11, 8, and 3. Grandma was coming to stay with them, and there were no problems.

Of course, it helped that we had already planned a family trip in September, and had just gone the prevous September. We are going to do it again, just the adults, in April 2010 for our 15th anniversary. I think we'll take one of the "Behind the Scenes" tours.

joonyer
02-25-2009, 02:49 AM
Last time I went without kids I was single and went with a group of friend that were all in our 20's. Now DW are dreaming of going without our kids, and spending some real leisurely time in the World Showcase, which is the one place in WDW our boys (now 16 & 13) have had shown much interest in spending any time at. They like to eat there is about it.
We also are looking forward to enjoying some leisure time at a deluxe resort (if we don't take the boys) it only costs a whole lot less!)

mouseketeer mom
02-25-2009, 08:28 AM
I agree you should go and enjoy yourself! On that note I should say though, I would not want to do that myself. I know I would spend the time thinking, oh, they would have loved this, or that! My husband and I have discussed this, and have both decided we will remain a unit of 5 on our trips to WDW!

gwfx1031
02-25-2009, 12:07 PM
we just returned from a couples trip w/out the kids. It was wierd that the only other people down there with us were families with younger kids and snowbirds. We had a great time and did many of things we would not do had they been with us like eat at some premier spots and do the segway tour. They will be going with us for another trip soon, so that did help ease their envy. Going without them did get us more excited or the upcoming trip with them.

BrerGnat
02-27-2009, 03:00 PM
I'm going on my THIRD trip without my kids in March! Of course, my kids haven't even gone yet. :secret: They're little, though, only 4 and 2. Plus, we live on the OTHER coast, in California. They practically live at Disneyland, though, so I don't feel guilty at all. They'll get to WDW eventually.

I'm going with my sister and best friend. We do a "girls only" trip about every 2 years, mainly for me to take a vacation from being a mommy. :thumbsup: Plus, the boys need this quality time with their dad, since he's away so often (military).

I think, this year, for the first time I will probably feel a bit guilty. They are finally getting to the age where they understand that I'm going away, and if I tell my oldest WHERE I'm going, he has seen pictures and videos, so he has an idea (that it's like a bigger Disneyland), so he sort of gets it. I think, more than anything, if I mention that "mommy's going on vacation"...my kids will just want to go with me, because I am ALWAYS with them, and leaving for a week will be hard for them to understand now. When they were younger, they were oblivious. They are more aware now, so that makes me feel a little bit guilty. A little bit. ;)

thumperbug
02-27-2009, 08:29 PM
My DH and I went without my DS when he was 18 months old. It was hard to be away from him and every kid we saw reminded us of him.

We still had a good time but it wasn't the same.

Now that my DS has been with us on 7 trips to WDW (he is turning 7 on Weds) I can't imagine not going to WDW without him wihtout guilt (until he is older). Every person is different.

Some can go and enjoy without the kids...I wish I could. Maybe if I had more then one kid it would be different. I don't know.

AndrewJackson
02-27-2009, 09:11 PM
I had a conference to attend in October of 1998. We stayed at Coronado Springs. It was about a five day trip. It was really nice to be able to enjoy the parks, and especially the dinners, without the kids. However, we found ourselves saying things like, "I bet John Paul would have liked this", or "I bet Mary Kate would have liked that". My wife felt more guilty about it than I did. By the end of the trip, we REALLY missed the kids. We decided that we would not do it again. We have taken a couple of long weekends to other places without the kids, but not WDW.

javamama
02-28-2009, 12:14 AM
I say do it, but don't think I could at this point only because they've been there twice now. And watch either House of Mouse or ClubHouse before bedtime everynight.
Don't get me wrong dh and I, do take vacations without our kids every year just not to WDW, from the time ds was 7 months we started taking them. So I'm all about mommy/daddy vacations, in fact we leave on one in two weeks:D Tunica, MS and Memphis here we come for 3 days, we've already been to Vegas this past September, and we'll go back again this September again--it's an annual trip w/10 couples. It's important to get away, and recharge for you, dh, and the kids. Have fun:mickey: