PDA

View Full Version : Questions of extra $$

ToDisney
02-23-2009, 07:25 PM
First let me say I have never been on a cruise at all. And would probably not go on one if it wasn't for my MIL wanting to take the family. Hopefully Disney will get the final vote.
On to the question...
Is there any extra costs onboard the ship or is everything included in the ticket price?
I understand that land excursions are extra.
But what about meals on Castaway Cay?
Is there anything other than the normal souvenirs that I need to plan for?
No hidden cost that will come up after the decision has been made?
I'm just trying to cover all the bases.
Thanks for your help.

hlkeck
02-23-2009, 08:18 PM
We go on our first DCL cruise in Oct and per my research:

Castaway Cay meals are included
You pay for alcoholic beverages, specialty coffee drinks; if you are in the bar area, you pay for sodas (otherwise there is a full soda station that is included on Deck 9 I think)
You pay extra for photos at Shutters
You give tips (suggested, for us, for a family of 4 came to over $250 I believe - maybe more)

If I've missed anything, I'm sure ElenitaB will come along with an answer! :)

Ed
02-23-2009, 09:59 PM
A few "extra cost" items that come to mind:

Alcoholic beverages obtained at a bar or ordered with your meals, and an automatic gratuity is built in. Same for sodas obtained at a bar (thus the value of the self-serve soda station on the 9th deck).

Specialty coffees.

Snacks for the live shows or movies.

Palo (the adults-only 'swanky' restaurant) is $15 per person, and well worth every single penny. :thumbsup:

There are also some onboard activities, such as bingo (pretty decent prizes $$), wine tasting parties and such for which there is a charge.

Spa treatments.

I'm sure there are a few more...

ElenitaB
02-23-2009, 10:46 PM
In addition to what others have said above:

If you use DCL transportation to and from the port, you might want to budget in some $$ for tips.

My DS is a smoothie-lover so I indulge him at dinner. There is an extra charge for them.

You might consider budgeting some $$ for spa time (nothing like a nice massage).

TammiMcMan
02-23-2009, 10:55 PM
It's not a hidden cost, but the one additional fee that you need to budget for is tips. The DCL site has an equation for figuring out the suggested tip amount ahead of time, so the total to set aside will not be a surprise. Beyond that, you don't have to spend a dime extra if you don't want to. The examples in the above posts are extra's, but only if you want them.

DisneyFr33k
02-24-2009, 11:44 AM
We just got back from a 7 day wonderful cruise :cloud9:. Our tips for our family of 4 were $320. We just went by what they suggested on the cards. You can give more or less.

Have Fun!!

scootch713
02-24-2009, 06:34 PM
Tips for room service(just a buck or two) and note pop and drinks on room service are not included... but it is clearly marked on the menu.

Mulan
02-28-2009, 11:19 AM
If you drive, don't forget that there is a cost for parking. For a 7 night cruise it is $105.00.

ToDisney
03-02-2009, 04:03 PM
Thank you all for your information.
I was surprised about the soda's, the rest I pretty much expected, even if I might not have thought of everything yet.
Like the parking while we are away on our cruise. I haven't even thought of that, although my DH did mention that he would rather us all be able to ride together, (there would be 8 in all) but we don't have a vehicle large enough.
So, do you leave you car at the port? Is it secure?
If you stay in a hotel can you leave you car there?
Has anyone had any poblems when they got back to their car?
Thanks again!

TammiMcMan
03-02-2009, 04:21 PM
So, do you leave you car at the port? Is it secure?We've only parked at the port once and we had no problems. If I remember correctly, you pay when you pull in, so it must have been a secure lot.

If you stay in a hotel can you leave you car there?It depends on the hotel. Some of them do offer complimentary parking while you are on the cruise.

Has anyone had any poblems when they got back to their car?Our only problem was forgetting where we parked the car.

ToDisney
03-04-2009, 12:31 PM
Our only problem was forgetting where we parked the car.

Gee, I've done that after being in Walmart for 2 hours,:secret: I can't imagine a 5-7 day cruise:laughing:

Thanks for the info!:mickey:

JMTStone
03-04-2009, 07:04 PM
I travel quite a lot and end up parking at the airport. I lost my car several times.

I got a tip I use now. Take a picture of the area with the floor number and section with your cell phone. Its really easy!