PDA

View Full Version : How do you clean off the love bugs?

PETE FROM NYC
02-22-2009, 05:22 PM
We usually go down in March so the love bugs are not a problem.But, once we went in October and it was very hard to clean the windshield.The wipers just smeared them all over.That was a rental so I wasn't worried.This September I am driving my car there and need some tips as to how to keep my windshield clean.

jane52
02-22-2009, 05:56 PM
When we drove down last September we put WD-40 all over the front of the car including the mirrors and such. We had no trouble getting the bugs off. Actually they just wiped off. Everytime we stopped once in Florida we sprayed the front of the car. We didn't spray the windshield though, for obvious reasons!

WDWFanatic
02-22-2009, 06:12 PM
Thank goodness you're talking about your car:D! I was worried that those lovely love bugs couldn't be cleaned off people.

I wonder if rainX or something like that would help. I'm sure some locals will come along with great ideas.

CAS
02-22-2009, 07:37 PM
That I would not do. WD40 is 50% mineral spirits (ie paint thinner). It should not be applied to the painted surface of your car.

the other micki
02-22-2009, 09:40 PM
You can smear vaseline along your front bumper and that will help with wiping them off later. As far as the windshield, I'm not sure there's anything you can really do. But they do come off eventually with a few good washings.

ILoveLegos
02-23-2009, 12:08 AM
I wash or at least hose off and squeegee the front of my car daily during the heaviest part of their appearance. The grill can get pretty gunky- fast! A few extra squeegee swipes at gasoline fill up stops routinely helps on longer road trips, to avoid those really nasty smears and paint ruining "acid".

Gotta try the WD-40 tip, that stuff is great for everything! :number1:

DizneyRox
02-23-2009, 09:26 AM
I too rent a car when necessary. No worries from me!

thrillme
02-23-2009, 01:03 PM
I heard baby oil works pretty good too.

If it's your car you might consider a good wax job.

gwfx1031
02-23-2009, 02:23 PM
Bring some dryers sheets with you. Take a single sheet and get it wet and use it to clean away the bugs. This works anywhere on the car. It needs a good rinsing since it leave soap behind, but it works like a charm, does no damage to the car, and smells good too. Please, no static cling jokes.