PDA

View Full Version : Ohanas or Boma worth $30.99?

Crow
02-22-2009, 02:35 PM
will be there Easter wk with the $4 surcharge.
im thinking thats a lot to pay for these buffets.
never been to Ohanas, been to Boma before.
Ill be there with nephews 13 & 15 who havent been to WDW.

Hull-onian
02-22-2009, 02:42 PM
I find the food at Ohana's to be more traditional. I took the kids to Boma and they just sort of picked at it. At Ohana's they ate everything. I myself thought Ohana's was very tasty for what you got. Boma's not so much. I know it is a tough call.

DawsonAR
02-22-2009, 02:49 PM
We love Ohanas. It is a must do for every trip and very worth it.

SOTB
02-22-2009, 03:16 PM
I was not impressed with Ohana's, although perhaps we just had a bad night.

I did think that Bomas was interesting, and would eat there again. I am not so likely to eat at Ohana's again.

As to the price -- it's DW -- everything is pricey -- no biggee....

SBETigg
02-22-2009, 03:19 PM
I would pay that for either one. I think they're both fantastic and worth it.

Faver
02-22-2009, 03:51 PM
O'Hana is absolutely worth it!! Boma not so much! You will really enjoy O'Hana:mickey:

hlkeck
02-22-2009, 03:58 PM
It's so funny how people's opinions are so different. We had TERRIBLE service at O'Hana and I would say 'not worth it' but LOVED Boma. Even my kids - 4 and 6 - loved Boma. They liked O'Hana and had fun with the games and such, but picked at their food.

Interesting how we are all so different!

CAS
02-22-2009, 04:42 PM
Both are fun restaurants. Ohana's was nice but the food was ho hum; very plain. Boma was more interesting. Our 3 year old did well in both restaurants but liked the entertainment at Ohana's better.

Yummy to both.

disneydeb
02-22-2009, 07:48 PM
Both are worth it!

Wish I had some O'Hana bread puddimg now!

Natazu
02-23-2009, 12:24 AM
I'd pay it for 'Ohana. They have some of my favorite WDW foods. 'Ohana's Pot Stickers, Turkey, Honey Coriander Wings, Bread Pudding, and that fabulous salad dressing seal it up for me as one of the best values at Disney, even at $31.

RAIDER
02-23-2009, 08:27 AM
Ive been to both and would go back to Ohana's over Boma . I found the food much nicer and i preferred the atmosphere by miles
If you do go get a window seat for the MK fireworks :thumbsup:

jusandnew
02-23-2009, 08:28 AM
We took our son to O' hana for breakfast a year ago to the STITCh. The food was ok . The juice was great.
I was not impressed with the breakfast thing. The kids went around the room in a circle a couple of times.
It took the waitress 20 minutes to refill our glasses and get more food. To meet the characters it took amost a hour for 5 minutes.
Nobody sang happy birthday to him. The waitress told STITCH and he took a picture with him.

It was not worth the money.

KylesMom
02-23-2009, 09:23 AM
:mickey: While I can't comment on Boma, I think that the Ohana dinner is definitely worth it, provided you and the boys bring your appetites with you!

Even with the surcharge, we plan on eating at Ohana once again in June.

Ian
02-23-2009, 09:44 AM
You know, I am just totally shocked at the love for Ohana. We ate there in December and, quite honestly, it was one of the worst meals I've ever had in Disney World.

No one in our group of 5 liked a single thing we were served. The chicken wings were the worst. They had no flavor, the chicken was greasy, stringy, and very chewy, and overall they were quite possibly the most disgusting wings I've ever had in my life.

And the rest of the meal really wasn't much better. I certainly wouldn't advocate paying $30 for it!

Kenny1113
02-23-2009, 12:20 PM
I cannot comment on O'hana's. but Boma was really good! We had it on our last trip and really enjoyed it! Kids were able to find some stuff and loved the dessert table.
As someone else said, your at WDW dinner is going to be expensive.

ElenitaB
02-23-2009, 12:58 PM
After being disenchanted with 'Ohana's dinner many moons ago, we went with friends in December and really enjoyed it.

The closest experience I can have up here in my area (without the great view of the castle, mind you) would be at Churrascaria Plataforma in NYC, and they charge $35.95 per person at lunch. Go there for dinner and the cost goes up to $55.95.

Even Texas de Brasil (a chain churrascaria restaurant) which has a location on International Drive, charges $44.99 for dinner, and their Sunday brunch will run you $34.99 per person.

So putting 'Ohana's pricing into context, I think that $30.99 is pretty reasonable.

SBETigg
02-23-2009, 01:16 PM
You know, I am just totally shocked at the love for Ohana. We ate there in December and, quite honestly, it was one of the worst meals I've ever had in Disney World.

No one in our group of 5 liked a single thing we were served. The chicken wings were the worst. They had no flavor, the chicken was greasy, stringy, and very chewy, and overall they were quite possibly the most disgusting wings I've ever had in my life.

And the rest of the meal really wasn't much better. I certainly wouldn't advocate paying $30 for it!

It sounds as if you had the same kind of experience at 'Ohana that I had at Kona Cafe. Everyone raves, and I don't understand the praise. Our Kona meal was bland, flavorless, with bad service, just awful to the point that I don't want to go back. I wonder if they just have some really, really off days in food service at the Polynesian. Our 'Ohana experience was far different and we really enjoyed it. I would say to go back and try again, but there's no convincing me to try Kona again in the next five years at least so maybe not.

Natazu
02-23-2009, 01:50 PM

I'm glad to know I can still shock you. ;)

Ian
02-23-2009, 02:25 PM
I'm glad to know I can still shock you. ;)Yeah, well you especially shocked me because you're a foodie. You should know better!

jszczur5
02-23-2009, 02:46 PM
O'Hana is absolutely worth it!! Boma not so much! You will really enjoy O'Hana:mickey:

Ditto here - with exclamation marks!

Rogerwdwfan
02-23-2009, 06:32 PM
We ate at O'Hana 2 years ago an loved It and we are going back in April.:cool:

tpalmer1031
02-23-2009, 06:37 PM
Ohanas was wonderful-June 2007--We were there with our large family (17 people) and EVERYONE LOVED IT!!!!!!!!!! Hard to please that many people with one meal--it is on my ADR list for Feb 2010.

Pete Olsen
02-23-2009, 06:51 PM
We eat at Ohanas every trip and at Bomas every so often. Love them both. Our only regret is getting full. Can't wait to get back!

Maleficent's Dad
02-23-2009, 07:13 PM
'Ohana is definitely not my favorite... In fact, it's up there in the top three worst dining experiences I've ever had (included on that list is Mickey's Backyard BBQ). Boma is definitely the way to go!

I'd pay it for 'Ohana. They have some of my favorite WDW foods. 'Ohana's Pot Stickers, Turkey, Honey Coriander Wings, Bread Pudding, and that fabulous salad dressing seal it up for me as one of the best values at Disney, even at $31.
Oh Jym, I just can't get it... what is with the love for this place??? :scratch:

Yeah, well you especially shocked me because you're a foodie. You should know better!
:ditto:

Natazu
02-24-2009, 07:24 AM
I can't help it. I like the stuff. I can say I've never got the greasy, scrawny, wings that Ian got. We've been pretty lucky there. The food's always been fine. Can't say much for the service but I love the junk food.

JPL
02-24-2009, 10:28 AM
After being disenchanted with 'Ohana's dinner many moons ago, we went with friends in December and really enjoyed it.

Well most of us enjoyed it :sick: Considering my recent experience with Ohana must have eaten off a bad skew :ack: and since I am a huge fan of Boma I chose it over Ohana.

bouncyprouncy
02-24-2009, 10:57 AM
We go to Boma, often each trip and love it. We used to always hit ohanas as well, but the menu changes dropped it down a notch for us, and we only do once in a while now.

Ian
02-24-2009, 12:10 PM
I can't help it. I like the stuff. I can say I've never got the greasy, scrawny, wings that Ian got. We've been pretty lucky there. The food's always been fine. Can't say much for the service but I love the junk food.I'm telling you ... I know wings. I eat good wings like 2 or 3 times a week, probably.

These wings tasted exactly like they had been microwaved. They were flat-out nasty. :ack:

Crow
02-24-2009, 05:38 PM
:confused::huh:
now I dont know what to think....
Jym is the reason I went to FF and hes usually revered as the food guru.
Where do you get wings Ian?
maybe I should just spend the $30.99 somewhere else....

Maleficent's Dad
02-24-2009, 06:39 PM
I can say I've never got the greasy, scrawny, wings that Ian got. We've been pretty lucky there.
You have gotta make a trip to Buffalo, NY and hit the Anchor Bar. It is there that you'll find "good wings." ;)

:confused::huh:
now I dont know what to think....
Jym is the reason I went to FF and hes usually revered as the food guru.
Where do you get wings Ian?
maybe I should just spend the $30.99 somewhere else....
:ditto: EXACTLY the point!!!
Crow this is what confuses Ian (and myself!). I won't knock O'hana for what it is - but gourmet it is not. And that's not a bad thing, necessarily.

I just never got why so very many people are so obsessed with the place... My experiences (again, one in a million visitors) have been less than stellar. :unsure:

Ian
02-24-2009, 07:01 PM
Where do you get wings Ian?We have lots and lots of good wing places near us, especially if you go downtown.

Some of best I've had, though, are from PJ Whelihans. They're the ones who supply the wings for Wing Bowl and they are very, very tasty.

I can't, in good conscience, recommend you eat at Ohana. And it wasn't just me ... as I said originally, I was in a party of 5 and none of us liked it much at all. I mean outside of the wings, none of the food was terrible or anything. But I would most definitely not ever pay $30.99 to eat there ... there are so many good places to eat in WDW that I am well and truly mystified at the love for Ohana. Honestly, I've tried it two or three times and have never found it to be anything above mediocre.

I mean really ... it's a WDW all-you-can-eat place. That should tell you all you need to know right there.

Crow
02-24-2009, 10:40 PM
Just wondered Ian, as we are in the same area
(Im in Warminster/Warrington area)
I probaby will hit Trails End and skip the others....I have a lot of places on my list anyway that arent buffet/all u can eats.

disneynarula
02-25-2009, 02:49 PM
I liked O'Hana but I did not think it was anything special. Once I went and it was delish. Once I went and all the meat was dry. If you like more interesting food pick Boma. No one in our family is a real meat lover so Boma is a better choice.

The entertainment is more lively at O'Hana.

mom2morgan
02-25-2009, 04:41 PM
Based on my VAST Disney experience (I've been to exactly 11 restaurants, once each) O'Hana's and Boma's are my two favourites!! The ones I went to that I'd say aren't "worth the money" were CRT and California Grill. Both were fine - Cali Grill was VERY good, but in my humble lower-middle-class opinion NO meal is "worth" that kind of cash. My husband and I can have a decent meal out here at home for what the tip at Cali Grill was. The other thing which makes them both clearly "worth it" to me is that they are buffets. That means my husband can eat his fill (he's a big eater, especially when on vacation ;-) and even more importantly - my kids can try something, but still fill up if they don't like it. My 16 year old chose something at CG that SOUNDED good to her, but she didn't care for it, so she left hungry. At least at any good buffet I know we'll all leave satisfied!

tjstrike
02-26-2009, 04:30 AM
We thought everything about Ohana's was great, the food was awesome (especially the shrimp and beef skewers), awesome view of wishes, service was great, our best disney meal so far. (except for the hoop-de-doo maybe)

cgriff
02-26-2009, 08:43 AM
Just combine these two restaurants already and call it Obamas.

Mousemates
02-26-2009, 08:55 AM
Boma's is worth it to us...ohana's is not.

Just combine these two restaurants already and call it Obamas.

:mickey: would gladly eat there with TARP money.

crltkcagle
02-26-2009, 12:41 PM
couldn't agree more!! LOVE OHANA'S

:mickey: While I can't comment on Boma, I think that the Ohana dinner is definitely worth it, provided you and the boys bring your appetites with you!

Even with the surcharge, we plan on eating at Ohana once again in June.

Hull-onian
02-26-2009, 03:09 PM

:ditto: