PDA

View Full Version : Getting to MK; staying offsite

dreamscometrue
02-22-2009, 12:55 PM
Hi everyone,
It's been a while since I last posted and good to be back.
Extended family is going in April and we are staying offsite this time, using time share, staying at the Sheraton Vistana. Last few times, we've stayed on site, so being at MK at opening was not an issue.
I seem to remember that if you are not on site, you are held back at the TTC until the MK opens, which means you still need to get on the monorail/ferry to get to the MK gates. Obviously this can take a good amount of time and a good amount of people way ahead of you.
Is this still the case? If so, we were thinking of taking a taxi to the Poly or Contemporary and either getting on the monorail or walking (in the case of the Contemporary). This is my niece's first trip and I really want to get her to the MK early!
Another question about taxi's: do they drop you off at the TTC? or at the MK entrance?
Thanks!

Mousefan29
02-22-2009, 01:20 PM
We were there in Dec and stayed offsite for most of the trip. The only days we were held back at TTC were the days they had EMH at MK. Otherwise, they let you take the monorail or ferry over as early as 1/2 hour before the park opened, and held you just past the turnstiles until opening.

bob6572
02-22-2009, 08:23 PM
You can get in early in case you have breakfast reservations.

joelkfla
02-23-2009, 10:36 AM
Taxis are not permitted to drop off at the MK entrance.

The official taxi stand is beyond the parking lot tram unloading area at the TTC.

Imagineer1981
02-23-2009, 03:31 PM
Taxis are not permitted to drop off at the MK entrance.

The official taxi stand is beyond the parking lot tram unloading area at the TTC.

Exactly, Taxi's drop off at TTC, so you'd still have to do the Monorail. From my understanding, Taxi's do not drop at resorts unless you are staying there, the guard will turn the taxi away if you do not have a room or a reservation for a meal

mom2mickeyfan
02-23-2009, 11:45 PM
We were there in Dec and stayed offsite for most of the trip. The only days we were held back at TTC were the days they had EMH at MK. Otherwise, they let you take the monorail or ferry over as early as 1/2 hour before the park opened, and held you just past the turnstiles until opening.

We always stay offsite and this is what we have found to be true also. Even stayed at the Sheraton Vistana 2 years ago and it was super easy and quick to be on Disney property from there.

Meteora
02-24-2009, 11:35 AM
As others have said, just avoid EMH days. Have your taxi drop you off at the TTC, then head over and wait for the rope drop with everyone else.

Vistana does have a shuttle, incidentally, though it's obviously less convenient than a cab. You might want to ask for a schedule when you check in. We have a time share there and love it. Feel free to PM me with any questions!

dreamscometrue
02-24-2009, 12:35 PM
thanks everyone for the advice! We'll plan on just parking at the TTC on a non EMH day..