PDA

View Full Version : Room Requests

4ubie1
02-20-2009, 11:57 AM
I know there are several threads on this topic but I have a specific question to ask:

Does the time you check in affect how likely you are to get the room you requested?

For example, if you check in early, do you get first choice?? if you check in late, is most of the rooms spoken for and you are stuck w/ what you get? Is it predetermined before you arrive so it doesn't matter when you check in?

Just trying to decide if it is worth getting up early to get an early flight to Orlando to check in early or if it is ok to wait for a later flight.

Thanks!:D

Seasonscraps
02-20-2009, 12:13 PM
I imagine they try to accomodate requests that are made on the reservation and that's probably the best way to get your preference. After that, I think checking in earlier can increase your room options but nothing guaranteed.

MNNHFLTX
02-20-2009, 12:20 PM
As Christine said in her post, the best way to get a request met for a room is to have it noted with your reservation, either when you book it or you can call later to add it on. But (in my experience) yes, it does pay to check in earlier in the day rather than later. If you do find that the room assigned to you is not acceptable, you can ask what other rooms might be available that and then switch. If you wait until late in the day, you may find that the pool of available rooms is very limited.

TammiMcMan
02-20-2009, 12:46 PM
On the occasions that we've checked in late, we usually ended up with a room that didn't match any of our requests. Luckily, we were usually able to switch to another room the next day.

While an initial assignment might be made based on requests, the room isn't held or blocked (unless it's a medical request). If someone checks in earlier and asks to change rooms, then that room could be re-assigned.

CleveRocks
02-20-2009, 04:23 PM
It makes sense that checking-in earlier would mean you have a better shot at getting your requests met. But it's far from a guarantee.

Here was my experience on Sat. 2/7/09:

Our flight landed late, but Disney's Magical Express got us to Polynesian quickly and comfortably. We checked-in at 9:45 a.m. We reserved and paid for a theme park view room. I'd requested a 3rd floor room in the Tahiti longhouse (I requested Tahiti because all of the 2nd and 3rd floor MK-view rooms have balconies, the rooms there have 2 bathroom sinks, the rooms there are about 30 or 40 sq. ft. bigger than the MK-view rooms in the other 2 buildings, and it is the closest MK-view room longhouse to the TTC). By far the biggest priority in this request was that we have a balcony.

So anyway, I checked-in at 9:45 a.m. Our assigned room was ready for us. I nicely asked if any of my requests were met, and I learned that none were met ... we were assigned a 2nd floor room in the Aotearoa longhouse. Because I'd done my homework, I knew that: the 2nd floor rooms in that longhouse do not have balconies; the building is fairly far set back from the lagoon, and because of other buildings in your field of vision you have almost a "tunnel" view of Cinderella Castle rather than an unobstructed panoramic view of MK as well as of the other resorts on the monorail; the MK-view rooms in that building are right on the main path that people walk to get to and from the Luau (in other words, noisy!); and it is the furthest building from the TTC.

I very nicely asked the CM if it was possible for us to be assigned a room in Tahiti on the 3rd floor. She immediately got on the phone and I imagine it was the Housekeeping department that she was calling. She told me we could get our request but that it wouldn't be ready until the afternoon, and I happily took the offer. Remember, this was not an upgrade in any way, just a building preference. As it turned out, our room wasn't ready until 5:15 p.m. Special request or not, I found that unacceptable, but it hardly put a damper on our trip.

So long story short, an early check-in doesn't have to mean that you get your requests.

Seasonscraps
02-20-2009, 04:52 PM
So long story short, an early check-in doesn't have to mean that you get your requests.

Checking in early doesn't necessarily mean you will get your requests but if you arrived at the hotel at 3pm the CM might not have the room type you prefered available at all. That's where I think arriving early is beneficial.

lockedoutlogic
02-20-2009, 04:59 PM
Disney really has no official policy involving room requests....

generally speaking...they try to meet as many as possible....

but in practical reality...it's a complicated matrix of variables.....from the location and how it's run in particular...who's doing the rooms....who's manning the fax machine....what day it is....what time it is....who's checking you in....what's the volume at that location at that time and day....blah...blah...blah....

TammiMcMan
02-20-2009, 05:28 PM
Right, there's a difference between the requests and how some resorts fill first from available inventory. Basically at that point, you can get into a room super early, but not have any of your requests met, or put a hold on a room that won't be available until later in the day. By getting there early though, you have that choice. Someone arriving after 4pm might not have that option at all and could be stuck with that 2nd floor room, with no balcony and a less than stellar view.

Mousefever
02-20-2009, 07:44 PM
Do any of you knowledgeable folks know if the new early computer check-in will make a difference in requests being fulfilled?

Amy

TheRustyScupper
02-20-2009, 11:09 PM
Do any of you knowledgeable folks know if the new early computer check-in will make a difference in requests being fulfilled? Amy

1) No, it will not.
2) You are not getting a room assignment.
3) You simply get your paperwork completed.
4) If you want to change rooms, you still go to the regular check-in location.

NOTE: Unfortunately, the later you check-in the less the chances you will get your preferences. Even if you were assigned room of your dreams, someone else might claim it before you get there.

#1donaldfan
02-21-2009, 10:04 AM
...guessing only here, but our experience is we get our room requests everytime, and we check in very, very early......but, a request is just that, so if a time comes and we don't get our request honored, I don't think I'll sweat it too much, but we are becoming spoiled.....:blush: