PDA

View Full Version : Epcot's DiveQuest trip report

NicksNitro
02-18-2009, 11:35 AM
Hi all! DW and I did the DiveQuest at Epcot Feb 8 and what a GREAT time! We were scheduled for 5:30 p.m. and had to show up at the Epcot guest relations area 15 min prior. We were met at 5:30 by the DiveQuest team and our leader was Jeff. After giving him our dive certification cards he collected basic info on t-shirt sizes, shoe sizes(for booties) and we were off behind the scenes to The Living Seas. The only equipment you are allowed to bring is a mask, but they do provide them if you don't bring yours.
Jeff lead us through the employee entrance next to Guest Relatiions and showed us the back of the pavilion and gave us a brief overview of the size (6 million gallons), the filtration system, and additional holding tanks.
He then led us into the back of the pavilion and upstairs to the nutrition area. They have a dry erase board with the diets on it and it was pretty impressive. It is also very clean and they have strict measures in place to ensure that it stays that way. We then went down the hall and saw the manatee back tank, a place where the manatees can swim to from the display tank to eat or just get away. We also saw the dolphin back tank. We were not going to swim with the dolphins because they are four younger males who were noticably vying for the " alpha " title. It was neat to see them roughhousing though. We then went to the briefing room where we saw a brief conservation film, signed the waivers and got briefed on what to expect. Jeff explained that we were not to touch any of the animals although they might bump us. They have a few protected (federally ) species that if you touch, you are breaking a federal law and will be removed and arrested!!
We then went to the locker rooms. Each locker had a name and inside was a shortie wetsuit, booties and some towels. After changing we walked out of a door right into Sea Base Alpha. Yep....right past the guests, up the stairs to the observation deck, into the center doorway, and up more stairs until we came out at the top of the Seas!!!! Holy cow what a site!!! We met the videographer (DVD's at the end!!), the divemaster and the saftey divers. Everyone was sooooooo nice and friendly. The Divemaster gave us a briefing and told us to have fun, to enjoy the marine life, and to goof off with the guests in the windows and at the Coral Reef. We got our gear on, swam out to a buoy (77 degree water my foot!! CHILLY!), submerged and took off. Words cannot describe this experience but I will try. There were only five divers in our group, normally 8-12, so the divemaster led us to the diving bell where we were able to take off our masks and regulators and wave to the camera. DW and I shared a kiss at the bottom of the Living Seas and I've got it on a DVD:cloud9:. After that we were given about 35 min of free time to do whatever. While seeing all the marine life was incredible, I also had a great time interacting with the visitors in the obs windows. I gave knuckles and high fives to alot of kids and even posed for two pics with kids...that was sooooo coool!
As for marine life, there were 2-3 sharks in the tank and a the bigger one swam right by me numerous times....so close that if I had stuck my hand out I could have touched it. Truly there was no fear due to the fact that all the animals are VERY acclimated to humans in the water and they are fed 3 times a day. There were two spotted eagle rays, the female weighed 140 lbs and does approach you due to the way she gets fed. A large Green turtle hung out as well as some large grouper, snapper and ...well a ton of fish!!! The coral in the tanks is created by Imagineers but the fish treat it like home, laying eggs and defending it.
The videographer follows everyone around and the DVD has alot of personal footage in it as well as the animals. Safety wise, it was top notch. One of our fellow divers, Bob, was the assistant chief of operations at the Disney Fire Dept. At the Guest relations window prior to meeting our guide, Bob let us know that this was his third night in a row diving and that he was conducting surprise emergency drills and please don't tell the staff. Thank goodness he let us know because with about three minutes left in our dive, a safety diver ushered us to a corner of the tank and out of the water. When i came out, Bob was attached to a backboard and was being tended to by staff. All but three staff members knew of the drill, it was to test response to an emergency. Apparently Bob went motionless at the bottom of the tank and the safety team wasted no time pulling him out. Our guide Jeff had no clue prior, but the entire team performed flawlessly!! A manager apologized for the inconvienence and asked if we had known. We said yes and that Bob did not want us to be scared. All in all GREAT job TEAM DIVEQUEST!!!!:number1:.
After the dive we went back to the locker rooms and showered, then went back to the briefing room where we were shown the DVD we could buy (we did, $35), given an exclusive DiveQuest T shirt and offered drinks. We also had all the info for our dive logs, a Divequest stamp for the books, and a conservation pin.
The whole experience was more than incredible. Ideal dive conditions (27 ft), more sealife than you will ever see on one dive, the staff were the nicest I have ever met....EVER!!
It was $175 per person, but I can honestly say that I will never go to DIsney World again and NOT do that each time. Sorry the post is so long but I had to let you guys know about this dive. If you have any questions, please let me know, but if you are a certified diver,DO THIS DIVE!!!:thumbsup:

CanadianWDWFan
02-18-2009, 12:17 PM
Thanks for the report!:thumbsup:

It had been quite a few years since I have done it. I think that I might just have to do it again.

scooterca42
02-18-2009, 12:20 PM
I know - DH and I will never go down again without booking this. It's nice when the group is smaller. We dove two separate days, one was outside videoing while the other bopped around, but next time we're diving together. Much easier buddying with someone you're familiar with!

Excellent description, thanks for posting!

princessgirls
02-19-2009, 02:33 PM
Thanks for reporting!

Sounds like money well spent!!!

Awesome experience!

Julie:mickey:

yjgirl32
02-19-2009, 04:18 PM
Great report- You have me convinced to try this. Thanks for all the info and for sharing your wonderful experience.

sisterdisco
02-20-2009, 08:45 PM
HOLY COW----an emergency drill!!!!!
DH has done Dive Quest the last 2 years, and as a non-diver, I love to watch them diving, but it makes me a bit nervous. Hopefully no guests could see his "emergency". I would have freaked out.

DS is 10 and completing his Dive Certification now. It is a fantastic excuse for another trip to WDW---"has to dive in the safe climate controlled environment w/ Dad, where Mom can watch behind the glass".

Glad you had an awesome dive.

sisterdisco
02-20-2009, 09:00 PM
I (DS 10yo) am getting my certifecation and,im up in CNY so its winter and to get certified as soon as its done, in a DRY SUIT:(

And my trips coming PERFECT timing :diver:

I can wait and practice until summer and get a couple of open water dives in and do it in august:mickey:

vizsla
02-21-2009, 07:21 AM
Thanks for the report.

pdrlkr
02-23-2009, 05:26 PM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey:

pilk
02-24-2009, 08:10 AM
Glad to hear it was a good time!

My DW surprised me with it on our last trip. I was in a full group of divers. One diver was staying to do the dive twice (our dive then the one in the group after us), another had done it 13 times within a couple years.

It is a great experience:number1:

faline
02-27-2009, 06:37 PM
As someone who can get in a pool and splash around but is essentially a non-swimmer, I know the closest I will ever get to a dive is vicariously through other's reports! Thanks for taking me along!

CanadianWDWFan
03-01-2009, 06:11 PM
Just had to let you all know that this post made me call to book this dive for our next trip. Unfortunately I was told that I can only book this dive three months out.:( Oh well, I have the date marked on my calender when I can call.:D

NicksNitro
03-02-2009, 08:38 PM
Glad to hear it Brian. We are returning in Sep/Oct and plan on doing it again!!!!

CanadianWDWFan
03-03-2009, 07:45 AM
Glad to hear it Brian. We are returning in Sep/Oct and plan on doing it again!!!!
I checked my log book and it was June '96 when I did it. So I really need to do it again!

RedSoxFan
03-03-2009, 12:20 PM
Sounds like you had fun. DH & DS17 (16 at the time) did the Aqua Seas Tour and had a wonderful time. DS wants to be able to get his dive certification in the summer with another friend. He is obsessed with fish and wants to be a marine biologist and work at Epcot!!

Yvette
03-08-2009, 01:39 PM
Awesome experience! Too bad we're not certified, it sounds like a lot of fun.