PDA

View Full Version : Need tips for travelling with infant

angel2931
02-17-2009, 06:19 PM
HI! We will be heading to WDW for Easter and we are bringing my 8 yo DSS, 4 yo DSD and my 8month old son. We have been there with the older kiddies, but I was looking for some tips for my infant son. I know it is going to be busy, and we usually hit the parks early and late with a break in the middle. But any info anyone can give me as far as flying w/a baby or any little tidbits you came across while there would be great!! Packing baby food, formula diapers etc... :mickey:

dfamasb
02-17-2009, 07:33 PM
The baby care centers in all the parks are a wonderful place for diaper changing, feeding, just quieting down.
I used garden grocer dot com to order diapers, wipes, etc this time and had them delivered to the room as opposed to packing them. Worked wonderfully!
I would recommend taking a stroller with you for use around the resorts and from transportation to the parks. If you don't want to pack a full-size stroller you might consider a second hand umbrella stroller. Lightweight and cheap. Also, you can gate check your stroller so you can keep it with you up until you reach the plane and receive it immediately after getting off the plane. Very handy!!
I've never flown with a baby so I can't help with that.
Take it slow and easy and have fun!

Mousefan29
02-17-2009, 07:50 PM
We've traveled to WDW when both our kids were infants. I agree, the Baby Care centers are really helpful, although the one at DHS is not centrally located. Almost all of the women's restrooms have diaper changing stations. We usually pack the diapers and wipes so that we have a little extra room for souvenirs! Definitely take a stroller. It's indispensable at the airport, resort, and parks; also, I've found that my kids were more likely to sleep in their own stroller.

As for flying with an infant, bring some sort of comfort item like a blanket or stuffed animal, and make sure you have a bottle or a cup of juice available for take-off and landing, when their ears are likely to pop. I usually take an empty cup through security, then buy drinks on the other side.

Have fun!

irish1967
02-17-2009, 08:15 PM
I would suggest that you take everything you need. From food, to diapers, to wipes, to baby wash...Don't assume that you can "make do" with what the parks have to offer.

My DS, who was very laid back overall, would not eat ANYTHING except what we brought when he was an infant (I had figured that other than the formula and cereal, I could supplement and he just wouldn't do it. He wouldn't eat the fruit (he still says - at age 9 - that it tastes different in Florida - at least he likes it now - LOL!) or the crackers, or any other number of things that we offered fully expecting him to eat (he was a little older, maybe 11 months old.)

We ended up paying a lot of money for Gerber food at the resort store so that he would eat.

Take a lot of pictures. My DS has been to WDW several more times since that first trip - that first trip album is the one he pulls out and looks at often.

Have a great trip!

javamama
02-18-2009, 12:33 AM
We took dd on her first visit at 8 months it worked out very easy. We stayed in the WLV so I did have a huge fridge, and dishwasher which IMO made it helpful--washing bottles, paci's, and sippy cups. Besides all that I packed a whole carrryon bag of just her foods, and formula, plus her little snacks gerber puffs--remeber they have cherrios at all the buffet breakfasts, and in the all the resorts for breakfast in the am--so don't pack those. I brought tons of spoons for her--the take and toss kind from babies r us, so if I lost one it wasn't a big deal. I also packed my diaper bag w/2 days worth of food, bottles, tons of diapers, formula just in case the bags got lost--I didn't check my food bag that was a carryon besides the diaper bag since it was kinda fragile--my dd had a severe milk protein allergy so I couldn't just go buy her formula in a store it had to be ordered thru a pharamcy. I took our own stroller, checked at the gate which is a huge help. I bought the clips you can put on the stroller handles to hold your purse or diaper bag--at Babies r Us or Buy Buy Baby--they are awsome even to use at home when your just at a store, zoo, etc..
Pack some dish soap to clean the babies stuff in the room, that was hard to get actually in the Poly last year from Mousekeeping, I confused them I think--get the trial size one. You can take nursery water for a baby in your diaper bag thru security, just put it in an actual bottle a TSA person told me this once--I talking enough for the flights. Also the bottle bags w/the cold packs I brought a few of these, and just refroze my cold pack every night/day so the formula/or juice/water would always be cold in the parks or on the plane. Bring new toys for the plane, and come prepared w/baby tylenol, gas drops, that kinda stuff on the plane just in case you need it. My dd was teething bad so we need the tylenol on the flight home. I also used Overnight diapers on the flights--I use them normally at night but since it's about 2 hours to Orlando, I would rather be safe than sorry or go a size up in diapers so they absorb more. I really can't think of anything else. Have a great time:mickey:

emmatink
02-18-2009, 12:30 PM
I have flown a lot with my kids as infants and timing their feedings around take off and landing is the key. You are allowed to bring infant juices and formula through the security check points but you have to show them. I leave the juice in its original container and transfer it to a cup or bottle once I am through security.

The Baby Care Centers are great for changings and feedings in the parks but if you are not near one a good tip is to let dad change the baby because the men's restrooms do have changing areas and they are usually less crowded :)

We rented a house off-site when my daughter was 8 months old so that may be more of a challenge for you being in a hotel room. Best of luck and have a fun trip!

GoofyMom09
02-18-2009, 03:08 PM
You are going to have so much fun. 8 months old is a great age.

Here are some tips for flying:
--> Feed the baby a bottle during take off and landing to pop the ears.
--> Ask at the gate to be seated next to an empty seat (if there is one) and this will give you extra room which is nice.
--> Travel with enough formula for several bottles...you never know if your plane will be delayed, stuck on the ground, etc.
--> Ask other flyers for help, they are usually more helpful than the flight attendants.
-->Don't try to go through security with a baby blanket around the baby or a cloth on your shoulder.
--> Fold up the stroller when checking it at the gate, the airline people won't do it.

And be sure to pack Tylenol, Mylicon, Teething Tablets, and Motrin of course:thumbsup:

Disney Doll
02-19-2009, 12:50 PM
Almost all of the women's restrooms have diaper changing stations.

Men's too so don't be shy about getting dad involved. Sometimes I would have to wait for the changing table in the women's restroom, but DH could change in the men's with no wait ever.

The baby stations are fantastic! A good place for a bottle or to just get away from all the excitement for a few minutes.

We also used Garden Grocer and were very pleased. We had baby items delivered plus drinks and snacks for mom and dad to keep in the room.

Absolutely bring your own stroller. Your child is likely to be most comfortable in something familiar and if you are hoping the baby will nap in the stroller you'll want something that reclines (WDW strollers do not). I recommend a light weight umbrella for easy portability. We use the Chicco C5.

Be flexible. Every kid is different and some tolerate the stimulation at WDW better than others. We really had a change of pace when we traveled with our 12 month old. Besides the midday breaks to nap at the resort we called it a day by 7:00pm so we could have him in bed at his usual time.

Hope you have a great rip!

peemagg
02-19-2009, 04:05 PM
Something that I found was a piece of mind for the buses was a child hip carrier. I would use it for my niece or nephew when in long line at the parks or on the bus. It was great to know that when on the bus the child was connected to me and allowed my hands free to hold strollers or big sister. We traveled with 2 babies at age 13 months (twins) and their sister at age 2.5. The children even slept in them at times. The one we used was the Snugli hipster.

Stitchahula
02-19-2009, 07:00 PM
Bring some extra face cloths from the hotel with you. You can get them really nice and cold using water from the bathroom sinks so the baby can chew on those to help with teething if that is a issue. Remember to keep the sunscreen on the baby even in April the sun is strong and will burn. I say bring your own stroller that reclines so the baby can take a nap. A stroller fan is always a good idea at keeping the baby cool. I've got a few from Wal-mart on line the clip right onto the stroller. They are battery operated and the blades are foam so they won't hurt the baby even if the stick their fingers into them. have fun