PDA

View Full Version : A couple questions for CMs

KevMcNJ
02-15-2009, 10:30 PM
We just got back from a wonderful visit to WDW. already making plans for our next trip in January 2010 (hopefully)

My first question is about guest complaints about CMs. We encountered our first grumpy CM this time. No need to mention where it occurred but lets just say they were a bit rude, made no effort to be helpful & didnt leave us felling all warm and fuzzy inside. so we did make a complaint about them with guest relations where they work.

I suppose my question is what happens when a CM gets a complaint? I suppose if you work there long enough sooner or later someone will complain about you no mater how hard you try. Is there a smaller margin of error for employees at WDW? Or does mgmt assume sooner or later you will p*** soemone off no matter how good you are simply due to the sheer volume of people y'all deal with every day?
do they figure one complaint is a bad day but 3,4 or 5 complaints is a pattern and something needs to be done?

All in all Im amazed at how professional 99.99% of the CMs are. Most act like they woke up just to be nice to me for the 20 seconds Im around them. Amazing, simply amazing.

2nd quesiton I have is, is there any sort of pecking order among the CMs regarding where you work in the differnet parks or what you do?

Say you are working at Space Mtn or Everest exedition for a time then get shifted over to some far less popular ride in some dark corner of the park. Is this a bad refelction on you or are postions filled by seniority and bidding for jobs?

what about CMs in costumes? Is someone in a Mickey costume looked at as having a more important gig than say someone in a Tweedle dum costume?.

Yes I have too much time on my hands

TheRustyScupper
02-16-2009, 11:43 AM
1) Based upon the complaint, it could be termination.
2) There is no difference in attraction assignments.
3) There is no difference in characters, unless FACE characters (no mask).

NOTE: Being Mickey or Minnie means you are a small girl or really tiny guy.

WDWdriver
02-16-2009, 01:33 PM
Complaints, whether written or verbal, are usually passed on to the CM's area manager. Depending on the circumstances, the CM could be reprimanded or fired. Complaints are often dismissed as not justified. It's amazing what some guests will complain about.

New hires are asked to specify a desired work category, i.e. Custodial, Attractions, Food service, Security, etc. They will normally be assigned a position in that work category, but will not be guaranteed to work in their desired location.

After a period of working in a position (usually six months) CM's can request a transfer to another work category or job location. They may or may not be allowed to change, based on need.

As for Characters (and without spoiling the magic here), some character work is more difficult and uncomfortable than others. But otherwise there is no particular pecking order. Face characters are paid more.

TheRustyScupper
02-16-2009, 07:15 PM
And, regardless of what you think, or see
. . . there is only one Mickey
. . . there is only one Donald
. . . there is only Pluto
. . . there are only two Chips

Cinderelley
02-17-2009, 06:10 AM
Why are face characters paid more?

irish1967
02-17-2009, 08:03 PM

I would imagine it has to do with the fact that face characters have to sell themselves with facial expressions and verbally as well.

My children would not have "bought" Cinderella if she looked like she had just swallowed fresh lemon and talked in any sort of accent.

TheRustyScupper
02-18-2009, 05:57 AM

Because it is in the union contract.

Imagineer1981
02-18-2009, 06:01 PM
Because it is in the union contract.

ha, and because they generally have to focus more on there looks. Mickey could get a little chubby in the face and still be ok. Cinderella could not. They