PDA

View Full Version : Keys to Kingdom Tour

Disneyfan28
02-15-2009, 09:15 PM
My DH and i go to WDW every year...we did the Keys to the Kingdom Tour 5 years ago & were thinking of doing it again this year but wondered if anyone knows if this tour changes & if it would be worth doing it again?:mickey:

tigger24601
02-16-2009, 12:24 PM
dh and i did that tour last year and while it was our first time i would do it again in a heart beat because i know that i did not absorb all the info that was given the first time through.

Beast_fanatic
02-16-2009, 06:38 PM
From others descriptions, I don't think this tour changes significantly although I'm sure you'd get at least a little different information from different guides.

Personally, I would probably look into a tour of one of the other parks.

Yungbuck73
02-18-2009, 03:55 PM
The Wife and I did this tour in Nov 08 and it was the best. we did learn alot even tho we are veterans of WDW.

spoiledraf
02-18-2009, 10:19 PM
My wife went a second time (I went fishin) and said though the tour doesnt really change, each guide sees and points out diffferent things. We sat with our guide at the lunch break and he told us they are given enough info to use, to tell it all would take three times longer than the tour last. So give it another shot and feel free to ask anything that comes to mind.

Greenlawler
02-19-2009, 12:24 AM
My DW gave me a key representing that she was booking me for the tour on our next trip. :mickey: My question is...Is it worth it? I haveheardconflicting reports. Some think it spoils some of the magic. What is you honest evaluation? Is there any fun stuff about the characters?

spoiledraf
02-19-2009, 08:18 AM
Don't recall anything about the Characters. More about Walt and how things originated, who names are on 2nd floor windows and why, and a bit about the imagineering put into some of the attractions. As for spoiling the magic, it doesn't show you anything that you didn't already know or at least assume. Some of the behind the scenes stuff is just where they store the parade floats and oddly enough, the disposal system for trash. And of course the underground access tunnels which is about the only thing that does affect the magic. It kind of shows Disney is really just a corporate business just like every other company.

Is it worth it? Well the tour is definately worth it. The question, the time it takes, about 5 hours, is it going to eat to much of your stay. It starts pretty early so you are done around 1 pm, if you go on the earliest tour. We enjoyed it.

justpooh
02-19-2009, 11:48 AM
We also took this tour around 5 years ago and again this year. In general I think the tour was worth taking the first time (for those of you that have never been on it).

I didn't think it was worth taking the second time. The tour guides did have their own spin. The first one was better (in my opinion) than the second. He did talk about the characters and the people who play them, which the second one did not.

The tour is five hours long and I believe they start first thing in the morning. So you miss a day to be there at opening (which we always are) plus five hours of park time.

I also took the segway around the world tour at EPCOT and enjoyed that very much. Not as much as the Backstage, but I would do that instead of doing the backstage a second time.

dream6
02-19-2009, 09:25 PM
This is something I'm on the fence about as well - although I've never been on it. My concern is about missing valuable park time, but (like everyone else here) I'm a big Disney fan and I think I should try something new within the parks. But it's hard to get out of my "rush, rush, rush" mindset.

Disneyfan28
02-20-2009, 09:04 PM
Personally i think the tour is definately worth it. You learn alot of interesting facts. You get to jump to the front of the line on a few rides and our guide pointed out before each ride where to look for hidden mickeys, he also had a lot of interesting stories of things he experienced as a disney employee. It goes by fast but like others said it starts early and you are done by 1. I wouldnt say it ruins the magic at all. we have also done the segway tour twice at epcot and are thinking of doing the new one in Fort Wilderness this year...anyone done that one??

irish1967
02-20-2009, 09:23 PM
The Keys to the Kingdom Tour is absolutely worth it.

Last summer, I took my brother and Dad on the tour as a birthday present. Afterwards, we were describing the experience with my other brother and when he mentioned that when his kids were older (he didn't want to leave his wife to deal with to young children and a baby for five hours) that he would like to do the tour - and all three of us said "we would love to do it again."

Even if it was the same tour guide with the exact same spiel, it would be worth it (in my opinion)

Of course, for me, it enhanced the magic. For some, seeing the nuts and bolts of the operation might diminish the magic.

I guess you need to decide which category you would fit in!

pinktweety
02-22-2009, 02:44 PM
My DH and I are contemplating taking this tour but we aren't sure if the length will take away from our precious time at the park. It seems like an awesome tour though. Our other choice is Backstage Safari at AK.

epceddie
02-24-2009, 04:55 PM
How long does the tour last? Are you on your feet most of the time? Just wondering, because my wife and I have cut back on the time we spend in the parks because of sore hips and knees from all the walking.

Beast_fanatic
02-24-2009, 08:09 PM
How long does the tour last? Are you on your feet most of the time? Just wondering, because my wife and I have cut back on the time we spend in the parks because of sore hips and knees from all the walking.

The tour lasts around 5 hours, and you are on your feet a big part of the time with the exception of a lunch break and riding a couple of rides. We also got one restroom break, but I don't recall any other sitting. Others may have had different experiences based on their tour guide though.

Disneyfan28
02-24-2009, 08:33 PM
Our experience was the same mostly all walking with the exception of the few rides & lunch.

Im wondering that since the Hall of Presidents is currently being refurbed and that is a stop on the tour if they replaced that with another attraction???

Beast_fanatic
02-24-2009, 09:40 PM
Our experience was the same mostly all walking with the exception of the few rides & lunch.

Im wondering that since the Hall of Presidents is currently being refurbed and that is a stop on the tour if they replaced that with another attraction???

We didn't do the Hall of Presidents - we did Tomorrowland Transit Authority, Pirates, and the Haunted Mansion.

Bethanymouse
02-25-2009, 11:15 PM
I am taking my dad on this tour this summer as a thank you for our WDW wedding. A father daughter day out. I am super excited, especially now that I hear all of this great stuff!

dream6
02-28-2009, 12:31 AM
This may be steering away from the original topic a bit, but how far in advance do you need to book this tour? Especially if you are going during a pretty quiet time.. Is this something you could decide to do while on your vacation? Or is this something that you definitely need to have planned out when you made your reservations?

Disneyfan28
03-01-2009, 05:15 PM
I would book it before you go. Although I have never had a problem booking a tour i wanted (like you do with the dining reservations) but i would still book before you go just to make sure you get the day you want. I believe alot of the tours are limited to a certain number of people and they dont run all day, most are early morning.:mickey:

dream6
03-01-2009, 07:28 PM
Thanks for the help! :) I think this may be something we want to try this time around!

Bethis26fan
03-15-2009, 05:38 PM
You only got one bathroom break in 5 hours?

Beast_fanatic
03-15-2009, 08:12 PM
I only remember 1 bathroom break on our tour, but I suspect we also went at lunch time. I know that when we took the first break that I was really glad.

Bethis26fan
03-15-2009, 09:39 PM
Wow that would be harsh.

Joannelet
11-05-2009, 08:31 AM
My DW gave me a key representing that she was booking me for the tour on our next trip. :mickey: My question is...Is it worth it? I haveheardconflicting reports. Some think it spoils some of the magic. What is you honest evaluation? Is there any fun stuff about the characters?

I just found this post and I wanted to comment. I took this tour a couple of years ago (without of course saying that i was a previous cast member) This tour in no way takes out the magic only because there are things they cannot give away and when they brought us into the utilidor I thought it was pretty funny because they don't show you anything. :) Lots of stuff down there but they do not in any way show you as to not take anything away from your overall Disney experience. There are cool things to see down there but I understand why they don't show it and they shouldn't. :)
This tour is great and it gave my hubby and sister a feel like they got to go a little bit inside the magic :)