PDA

View Full Version : new mom needs help on picking a stroller/carseat

dumbo_buddy
02-15-2009, 07:06 PM
hi! i'm 20 weeks pregnant with our first child. DH and i went to a bunch of baby stores to check out strollers and carseats. and let's just say we are overwhelmed!

i would love to hear what you parents recommend as far as getting a car seat with a stroller frame, a travel system (such as chicco cortina system), a separate car seat and stroller.

i live in a city and plan to walk with my little guy alot. so i need a good walking stroller for an infant and would love something that he can grow into.

any thoughts would be GREATLY appreciated.

oh! and we plan on taking our little guy to disney for the first time when he's 6 months and need a good stroller!

Madame Leona
02-15-2009, 07:25 PM
I have a Peg Perego Pliko P3 and a Peg Perego Light and I love them both. DS (3) is 35 lbs and 38 inches and still fits comfortably in them both. They have so far survived 2 children and 4 trips to Disney World. The infant seat is sold seprately. It's a little heavy but the babies have a lot of room in it.
Congratulations and good luck with you your new little one.

mjaclyn
02-15-2009, 08:04 PM
I also have the Peg Perego Pliko P3 and the Peg Perego Aria. I didn't like the carseat all that much for my DD when she was a newborn because the seat is heavy and very upright so her head kept falling forward. It IS great to just snap into the stroller and go though. I would definitely recommend the Aria for Disney. It's super lightweight and also works with the carseat if you choose to get it.

I'm currently pregnant with #2 and just registered for a Graco Snugride Infant seat because it has great safety ratings, excellent user reviews and is relatively inexpensive in comparison to the Peg Perego models. I also chose to go with the Joovy Caboose Ultralight stroller instead of a regular double. After having used the Aria I LOVE a lightweight stroller and I really like that it has a rear 'seat' for DD but is still lighter and more compact than alot of single strollers.

I know it's very overwhelming to look at so many different models. The best advice I can offer is to compare safety ratings and user reviews which you can find on the consumer reports website. I'm sure you'll find the perfect set for your family!

crazypoohbear
02-16-2009, 11:49 AM
I would suggest that you try folding it up and unfolding it several times before purchase. Also, pick it up and carry it around the store, cuz you are going to need to be able to lift and carry that thing for a long time.
Some strollers are just clumsy, heavy, don't stay closed etc.
I was never a big fan of the combo, My infant car seat fit into the stroller seat when the stroller was folded down. I never took the regular car seat out of the car unless it was to transfer to another car, which was not often, so I chose to get two different items instead of a combo.
Good luck with your search and congrats on baby.:cloud9:

crazypoohbear
02-16-2009, 11:51 AM
oops, I forgot to add, don't let price alone be your guide. If you buy cheap and hate it you will have to buy another one and the price will start to add up quickly. Go for comfort, reliablity, ease of operation.

Disney Doll
02-16-2009, 12:11 PM
I'm currently pregnant with #2 and just registered for a Graco Snugride Infant seat because it has great safety ratings, excellent user reviews and is relatively inexpensive in comparison to the Peg Perego models.!

I decided on the Gracco Snugride after reading about it on Consumer Reports and we loved it. It's affordable, but also high quality. I think the travel systems are a little cumbersome so we just got one of those universal frames to use with our Snugride car seat. The frame was only 50 bucks and it was very easy to travel with. Once my son was old enough for a regular stroller I got the Combi C5. I knew I wanted the portability and easy maneuvering of an umbrella and the Combi C5 is an umbrella with all the extras. I absolutely love that stroller. Good luck and congratulations!

Georgesgirl1
02-16-2009, 07:46 PM
I have a 6 week old and have the Graco Quattro Tour travel system. I really like it. The car seat is easy to get in and out of the car and you can buy extra bases if you need them. The seat easily snaps into the stroller. The stroller is great for the park and walks around the neighborhood. It has a good sized basket for carrying the diaper bag or your purse and it has a cup holder for my water bottle.
The only problem is that it takes up so much room in our trunk. We too are going to WDW when our little boy is 6 months old, but if we want to pack anything other than his stroller and packa nd play we are going to need to get a smaller stroller. One of my friends always buys a cheap stoller at Walmart before she leaves or even when she gets there and then throws it away or leaves it when she goes home. You still save money over renting a stroller from Disney, but you don't have to worry about your nice stroller getting rained on, spilled on, etc. That is what we are going to do for our trip.

ElenitaB
02-16-2009, 08:31 PM
Living in the City, you may take some other things into consideration. I ended up with more than one stroller because of just how much we walk here: I had a "travel" stroller (which we used when riding on the bus or subway because there is nothing more fun than going up and down subway stairs with a baby in a stroller) and the "going shopping locally" stroller which was our equivalent of an SUV. Make sure that your "travel" stroller can collapse with one hand while you hold the baby with the other arm. Another consideration you will have in the City is the abilty to make it through sidewalks that have not been shoveled (thus the need for the "SUV").

Do not panic! You learn a lot of tricks those first few months!

Lacy
02-16-2009, 09:28 PM
I recommend looking into the BOB Revolution. I have an 4 month old and absolutely love my Bob. I never knew one could like a stroller so much :blush:

I was told that it is as close to a all in one stroller as they come. We got the infant bar adapter and was able to use it with the Graco Sungride. I would also recommend the Snugride as it got very good safety reviews and was relatively inexpensive. The Bob is a little big for taking in the car for quick trips to places like Target or the mall so we got the Graco Snug Rider which is a very small lightweight stroller frame that the car seat snaps into. I like this because it is so small and can easily be handled with one hand. I'm not sure how it would do in the City.

Good luck! It is kind of overwhelming making all the baby product decisions. I got a lot of advice here on Intercot by asking questions and in the Moms/Moms-to-be thread!:rocks:

diz_girl
02-17-2009, 10:25 AM
We didn't use a stroller travel system. We just got the infant seat and a stroller frame. We're runners, and would have to buy a jogging stroller anyway, so we skipped the travel system and got a jogger (Baby Trend) and an umbrella stroller (Maclaren Triumph).

Since you are going to WDW when the little guy is 6 months old, think about whether or not you want to lug that heavy stroller and baby gear on and off the buses every day. We brought our umbrella stroller to WDW (we drove) and was very happy with it. The Maclaren Triumph was easy to fold and open, the handles are high enough that you don't hunch over when pushing the stroller and the back wheels are far enough forward that you're not kicking them when you walk. Plus, there is a strap to put over your shoulder to carry it, if needed, and it has a light-weight aluminum frame. One note with umbrella strollers - they are so lightweight that if you take the baby out of it and have a bag hanging on the handles, the stroller will tip over.

Our little guy grew out of his infant seat at 6 months (he was off the charts tall until he was almost one year old), so the jogger and the umbrella stroller have worked just fine for us. Of course, you don't know that before the baby is born.

Other things - Make sure the stroller and car seat can fit into your car. The staff at Babies 'r Us should help you see if you can fit them into your car. The car seat and stroller guy at our local store is great.

I have a Jetta and the jogger can't fit into my car. It's not that there isn't room in the trunk, it's that we couldn't fit it into the trunk opening without removing the big wheel in the front. So the umbrella stroller is in my car and the jogger in DH's car. Also, our convertible car seat is so big that DH can't fit into my car at all (even in the front seat - he's 6'1"), since the front seats have to be moved up to accommodate the seat when it's in the rear-facing position (which is until the baby is at least one year old.

We have an Eddie Bauer convertible car seat. My sister recommended it. I don't. The straps twist a lot and it's tought to adjust the straps because they get caught underneath the seat. I'd recommend a Britax car seat. They're more expensive than the rest, but they tend to get glowing reviews.

Try Consumer Reports for the best strollers and car seats and check the Babies r' Us Website for reviews. At the Babies 'r Us - you can see how many reviews and the average review, plus read the individual reviews, so you can get a better sense of how the product works with everyday use. They can also tell you what to avoid.

EpcotChic23
02-17-2009, 10:53 AM
Great post!! I am 19 weeks pregnant (with first child) and I went into Babies R Us a couple of weeks ago and was overwhelmed. There is so much to choose from. Good luck witht he rest of your pregnancy.

dumbo_buddy
02-17-2009, 03:41 PM
We too are going to WDW when our little boy is 6 months old, but if we want to pack anything other than his stroller and packa nd play we are going to need to get a smaller stroller.

Kristen - can a 6month old go in an umbrella stroller? are they big enough by then? THAT seems like it would be so much easier than the big stroller!

dumbo_buddy
02-17-2009, 03:45 PM
To All - thanks so much for your replies! i really appreciate it!

Ian
02-17-2009, 04:34 PM
With two kids, we've actually gone through 7 strollers trying to find ones we liked.

We finally settled on the Peg Perego Aria and we love it. It's very lightweight, easy to maneuver, and quite sturdy.

We've also found that the combination systems are rarely a good deal. You end up with not-that-great a stroller and not-that-great a carseat. We had this Eddie Bauer one that was ridiculous. The car seat weighed a TON.

diz_girl
02-17-2009, 05:09 PM
Kristen - can a 6month old go in an umbrella stroller? are they big enough by then? THAT seems like it would be so much easier than the big stroller!

Babies at that age are usually at or close to the point of sitting up on their own, so they should be big enough to fit in one. Again, I recommend a good umbrella stroller (that can recline) like a Maclaren.

Georgesgirl1
02-17-2009, 08:57 PM

As long as a baby can sit up on his/her own they are fine in an umbrella stroller (at least that is my understanding). Both DH and I were sitting unsupported at 6 months so hopefully DS will be too! I really don't want to have to take a huge stroller to WDW.

Lacy
02-17-2009, 10:48 PM
Great post!! I am 19 weeks pregnant (with first child) and I went into Babies R Us a couple of weeks ago and was overwhelmed. There is so much to choose from. Good luck witht he rest of your pregnancy.

I think I cried the first time I went to Babies R Us because I was so overwhelmed. I think some of it is a trial and error process to see what works for you and your baby.

I have found this thread helpful as well as we are now looking into getting an umbrella stroller to replace the infant car seat frame. Is it worth the money to get a Maclaren umbrella stroller that we won't use as our primary stroller or are there cheaper options that are comparable? Thanks!

beksy
02-18-2009, 09:34 AM
I don't have kids (unless you count my cat but she usually just travels in her carrier--I wouldn't recommend that method for a baby!) but wanted to say Congratulations! to all you new mothers and soon-to-be moms! I enjoy reading the threads regardless. Oh, off subject but my cousin's wife just had their third early Monday morning! It's a boy so the total is now 2 boys, 1 girl. Can't wait 'till March to see him.

dumbo_buddy
02-18-2009, 04:48 PM
we are thinking of the graco metrolite system. i've heard mixed reviews on the systems but the graco car seat is very highly rated. also, i think for around the neighborhood the bigger stroller would be nice. and the mclaren umbrella stroller would be a great travel stroller.

DH and i have big travelling plans for this baby! though he may surprise us and HATE plans, trains, and automobiles. i hope that's not the case!

BrerGnat
02-18-2009, 05:28 PM
we are thinking of the graco metrolite system. i've heard mixed reviews on the systems but the graco car seat is very highly rated. also, i think for around the neighborhood the bigger stroller would be nice. and the mclaren umbrella stroller would be a great travel stroller.

We had the Graco Metrolite Stoller. I didn't like the stroller part...

After two kids, and a TON of strollers, this is my FINAL verdict, for anyone who is about to have a baby and asks me:

1. Graco SnugRide infant Seat

2. Stroller Frame to hold infant Seat while baby is still in there. There is no point in having a full on stroller while the baby needs the support of the infant seat anyway.

3. Maclaren QUEST Stroller-Great for babies 6 months+ (it has an extendable foot rest, which the Triumph doesn't have, which is better for little babies that need to stretch out more when they are sleeping and whose legs are not quite long enough yet to dangle over the edge of the stroller). If you SKIP the "travel system", the money you save can be spent on the upgrade to the Quest from the Trimph.

We have two boys, by the way. We went through SO many strollers, I cannot even tell you. I had Chiccos, a Combi Twin (that I still have, but I hate it), a Graco Metrolite (hated it), and now we are down to a Maclaren Triumph and a Quest. THESE are the BEST!!! After a baby is 6 months old, there is NO reason to have a stroller any bigger than the Maclaren umbrellas. Especially if you will be traveling and/or in the city. Or, if you need a specialty stroller for jogging. If so, I'd look at the Dreamer Design series. We have a Ditto Lite from them and it's fabulous!

dumbo_buddy
02-19-2009, 09:05 AM
great feedback natalie, thanks!

i think you may have changed my mind. here's my last question:

the bigger strollers have those trays that you can put toys on, snacks, etc. the umbrellas obviously don't have that. is there any benefit to those front trays for baby? i've seen them with toys and stuff on there.

Ian
02-19-2009, 01:28 PM
After a baby is 6 months old, there is NO reason to have a stroller any bigger than the Maclaren umbrellas.Oh, boy! I totally disagree ...

Especially if you're going to be traveling, having the extra storage space that a larger stroller provides is invaluable.

When we go to WDW, being able to hang diaper bags, hold water bottles, store snacks, etc. is an invaluable service provided by our stroller. We've tried just an umbrella stroller before and it was nowhere near as convenient.

BrerGnat
02-20-2009, 01:45 PM
Oh, boy! I totally disagree ...

Especially if you're going to be traveling, having the extra storage space that a larger stroller provides is invaluable.

When we go to WDW, being able to hang diaper bags, hold water bottles, store snacks, etc. is an invaluable service provided by our stroller. We've tried just an umbrella stroller before and it was nowhere near as convenient.

Well, Ian, I am going to have to respectfully disagree with YOU. ;)

As you well know, I am no stranger to visiting Disneyland with my kids, and we use our Maclarens there with ease.

I have to say, I would NEVER recommend ANY other brand of umbrella stroller. But, the Maclarens are different. Why?

They have a basket underneath. In this basket, I've been able to store:
-blankets
-water bottles
-toys
-insulated lunch bags
-rain cover
-jackets
-sweatshirts

They come with an awesome rain cover included. I didn't understand the value of this rain cover until a recent rainy day at Disneyland, and man, were we glad to have them! Our kids were bone dry, while everyone around us looked on in envy. This rain cover folds flat to about the size of an 8x11 file folder when not in use. It's super handy. No other strollers come with anything like this.

You can hang bags from the handles. You can hang a backpack from the handles if you want. (who still uses a diaper bag anyway? Do you Ian? ;) )

I hang my sling bag from the Maclaren handles all the time. When I take my kid out of the stroller to park it somewhere, I take the bag off, put it on, and off we go. I don't have to worry about all the "stuff" in my stroller. I can easily just fold up my stroller, pick it up by the AWESOME carry strap and sling it over my other shoulder (it weighs only 11 lbs) and off we go.

Dumbo Buddy: By the way, I suggest skipping the traditional "diaper bags". They are a pain to carry around. Get yourself a good backpack or sling bag with lots of pockets. These not only look better and provide more support, they will last you longer, into the toddler years and beyond. I had lots of specially made "diaper bag backpacks" given to me as gifts and they all stunk. I went back to a good old trusty JanSport backpack, and am now using a great sling bag I got from Target for $15 that has all kinds of pockets, hooks, and pouches. It's great and it hangs on my stroller just fine. But, I digress.

Anyway, there is a brand of storage bags called SKIP HOP. Look up the website. They have a bag called the Saddle Bag. It can attach to the side of a Maclaren. It's super cool. You could theoretically use that in lieu of and in addition to the under seat storage.

My issue with those big strollers is that they compel people to carry too much "stuff". Especially if you are in the city, or traveling, you will want to keep it simple. That's sort of my motto. Everyone is different, though. So, you have to do what is in your nature to do. Some people are "take everything but the kitchen sink" types when they leave the house with baby. For those types, nothing short of a "cadillac stroller" will do. Me? Well, at this point, I make sure I have a pack of wipes and a couple spare pull ups plus a baggie of snacks and some water (littlest one is almost 3, though, so we're well past the baby stage). If I could fit that stuff in my purse, I would. :D When the kids were babies, though, I kept it to the bare essentials: diapers (just a couple), wipes, bottle, formula, and maybe a little toy or blanket. I hated feeling weighed down, and in general don't like clutter, so I kept things very simple when we went out.

The main reason why I did not like the big chunky strollers we had was that I was on my own a big portion of the time with my kids. I am not a big person, and it was just too much to try to deal with two kids, a bag, and a stroller that required two hands to fold up and lift anywhere. The Maclarens I have, as mentioned, are so lightweight I can lift them with one hand, carry with a shoulder strap, they roll when folded (can push with one hand), they have a one handed fold mechanism with auto lock-I could fold it down AND load it into a car or onto something like the Disneyland train while holding a baby in one arm, etc. It's just so much easier. I couldn't do all that with the bigger one. I'd need DH with me...and that was not always the case.

BrerGnat
02-20-2009, 01:54 PM
great feedback natalie, thanks!

i think you may have changed my mind. here's my last question:

the bigger strollers have those trays that you can put toys on, snacks, etc. the umbrellas obviously don't have that. is there any benefit to those front trays for baby? i've seen them with toys and stuff on there.

Well, you'll get a lot of different answers to this question. I guess it depends on the baby. For my kids, NO, there was no benefit. My kids always used these trays as a foot rest, or rather, they just put their legs OVER them. If I put food on them, it promptly got swept to the floor, and then I had to clean it up. IF I attached toys, I had to use those link rings, and the toys invariably ended up flung over the edge, dragging close to the wheels, or being kicked by their feet, etc. My boys never liked these trays, so I just removed them. My Graco Metrolite, though the tray swung out of the way, did NOT have a removable tray, and I hated that about it too...cause I wanted to remove it. I almost broke it off one day in frustration. :blush:

As your baby gets older, the tray just becomes something that gets in the way of loading/unloading from the stroller, in my opinion. Especially when they start to become independent, and they WANT to climb in and out on their own, and that stupid tray is in the way, that's when it becomes something you just want to rip off...

For snacks and stuff, look into the Snack Trap cups. Those are great. It's a good way to keep snacks contained, easy to hold, and if it gets thrown "overboard", nothing spills. :thumbsup: They sell them at Babies R Us.

dumbo_buddy
02-20-2009, 03:59 PM
Thanks!

Ian
02-21-2009, 07:44 PM
The main reason why I did not like the big chunky strollers we had was that I was on my own a big portion of the time with my kids. I am not a big person, and it was just too much to try to deal with two kids, a bag, and a stroller that required two hands to fold up and lift anywhere.Ahh, but I have to respectfully disagree with you now ... I never advocated a "big chunky stroller that required two hands to fold up" ... we have a Peg Perego Aria and it is very compact, lightweight, and easy to fold, but yet offers all the additional storage space, cup holders, etc. of a larger stroller.

So there! :cool: