PDA

View Full Version : April's Quick Winter Getaway: February 2-6, 2009

aprilisis
02-12-2009, 05:59 PM
Pre-Trip Report (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=149444)
Cast:
April, 33 (me)
John, 31
Photos on Snapfish (http://www2.snapfish.com/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=276388424/a=95225196_95225196/otsc=SHR/otsi=SALBlink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfish)
Day 1- February 2
We had to wake up at 3am because the airport van was picking us up at 3:30. I was surprised that we both got right up & were ready to go. I remember getting into the van, then sitting down…then waking up as we were getting to the airport. LOL I guess I wasn’t 100% awake to begin with. We had no problems at the airport & had a nice, smooth flight. We picked up our rental car and headed to pick up some snacks for the room. After that quick stop, we picked up our APs at Guest Services in Downtown Disney & went to check in to POR. There was a bit of a line at check-in, but it moved quickly. It is always such a nice surprise when the room is ready! We were in Parterre Place, room 9743.
After getting settled, we were off to EPCOT. We pretty much took out time wandering World Showcase, eating & shopping our way around until we ended up at Le Cellier. They seated us almost immediately! John had the prime rib & they made me mashed potatoes and a nice tomato/mozzarella salad with balsamic vinaigrette. It was fantastic! We were so tired by 8pm that we decided to call it a night.
Day 2- February 3
We had a 9:50 at Boma for breakfast, but woke up a little early. We were both STARVING, but I wanted to show John around the resort because we will be staying there in September/October. Breakfast was very, very good at this buffet. The jungle juice is the best juice I’ve ever had. I stuffed myself so full I could barely walk!
We actually decided to go to Sea World today (John loves marine life). We fed stingrays, then fed dolphins, saw the manatees, saw the gators & saw the dolphin show. :dolphin: I was guilty of suggesting we go on Journey into Atlantis (a water ride). We went down the one very large drop and barely got wet at all. It was the tiny hill after that sent a huge wave of water over the front of the boat & right into our laps. We had a good laugh about it, then took a ride on Kraken (which is their huge coaster). We walked through the penguin exhibit, which is always pretty stinky. :penguin: I try to get in & out of that as quickly as possible. We walked through the shark exhibit :shark: , then went over to see the Clydesdales and have some lunch. After lunch, we saw the Sea Lion & Otter show and the Shamu show. We were pretty tired at this point, so we decided to go to Planet Hollywood for some dinner & call it a night.
Day 3- February 4
We slept in today and had a bite to eat from the food court. We were still at Magic Kingdom before noon. We headed right to Tomorrowland and went to the Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor. The crowd was really fun this time around. Next we got right on Buzz (John’s score was WAY better than mine!) and Space Mountain. We took a lunch break at Cosmic Ray’s. I got the veggie burger & John got the bacon double cheeseburger. The funny thing was that the person next to us in line ordered a veggie burger plain with a gluten free bun. I think I got that by mistake! I like all of the toppings & cheese, too, so I didn’t enjoy it as much as I normally do. After lunch, we strolled through Fantasyland over to Haunted Mansion. :hmghost: This is always one of my favorite rides. The line was pretty long, but moved quickly. We then went on to Big Thunder Mountain, Splash Mountain, and Pirates. :pirate: After splitting a dole whip, we went back to the room to relax before dinner.
After watching some tv & talking, we got ready and headed to dinner at California Grill. We saw the fireworks while waiting for our table and were seated soon after that. We had a great server who was very attentive. John got the Filet Mignon & I got a combination of different vegetarian dishes. I have to say that I LOVE the mashed potatoes! We decided against dessert, so we went back to POR.
Day 4- February 5
We got up and had another light breakfast, then went over to Animal Kingdom. It was pretty crowded, so we tried to go in the opposite direction of the crowd. We went into ITTBAB & Dinosaur with no wait at all, then waited a bit for Primeval Whirl. We ran into Goofy & Pluto & got our photo with them. :goofy2: :pluto: Next up was EE. We got fastpasses & got into the single rider line & rode with no wait. We walked through MJT while waiting to use our fastpasses. The timing was perfect. I love EE & would ride it 100 times in a row if I could! On the way from Asia to Africa I got a vegetarian egg roll that was just fantastic! We had a very short wait for KS & saw a lot of animals we don’t usually see. The hippos were out of the water! After the safari, we walked through Pangani & did Rafiki’s Planet Watch. They were operating on one of the sea turtles. Does anyone know how I find out if she is ok?
We headed back to the room for a short time before EMH at DHS. As soon as we got to DHS, we went straight to Tower of Terror. John loves it as much as I do! Thank goodness because that would have been a deal breaker. ;-) We went on Rock n Rollercoaster after that & then GMR. We had dinner at 50’s Prime Time & had a great waitress- Janice. She was perfect. I had the vegetarian stuffed pepper, which was very good & John had the pot roast which he also said was very good. We sort of wandered around after that because we were SO full. I was also starting to feel like I was catching a cold. We did get to Muppets 3-D & Tower of Terror one more time, then went back to the room to pack. 
Day 5- February 6th
We woke up to nice, warm weather. After packing everything into the car, we decided to go over to EPCOT. Our flight didn’t leave until 7pm, so we still had the day. We got a fastpass for Soarin’ & then got a snack. We went to MS, then to Mousegear, & then it was time for our FP at Soarin’. This is another one of my favorites. We went to Mexico & decided on lunch at San Angel Inn. They made me a cheese enchilada that was AMAZING. I ate my weight in the chips & salsa, too. After our late lunch, it was time to go.
We got to the airport & to the gate in no time. After we got on the plane, there was an announcement for us to de-plane because the plane had a flat tire & they had to either fly in a tire or take one off another plane. We were back on our way by 9:15. I was at home by 1:30am & Isis was VERY happy to see me! :puppy:
Final Thoughts:
John & I traveled very well together. The whole vacation was effortless. It was great! The food everywhere was VERY good except for the mix-up at Cosmic Ray’s. California Grill is still my favorite, but that enchilada at San Angel was just fantastic! We didn’t wait too much for anything, but the parks were more crowded than I expected. Our mousekeeper, Maricela, left us nice surprises every day & POR was so quiet. That was one of the best things about the trip. I wasn’t too happy with the airline on the way home, but I’ll just fly a different airline next time. I’m ready to go back!

Altair
02-12-2009, 06:05 PM
I can't seem to get your Snapfish album to open.:(

DizNee143
02-13-2009, 08:48 AM
sounds like you guys had a great time on your vacation..thank you for sharing it with us! :mickey:

yjgirl32
02-13-2009, 08:58 AM
Great trip report! Thanks for sharing.

yourmagicalguide
02-13-2009, 12:10 PM
Thanks for sharing :mickey: Sounded like a great trip!

DryCreek
02-13-2009, 09:41 PM
Our mousekeeper, Maricela, left us nice surprises every day & POR was so quiet.

We stayed in building 27 in Alligator Bayou section, and for the most part very quiet.

Our mousekeeper didn't leave us any surprises, unfortunately (even on DW's birthday).

Glad you had a great time. As I recall, it rained on the 2nd, and then the temps really dropped after that!

dtootsie42
02-13-2009, 10:30 PM
Thanks for sharing!!!

goofy78
02-14-2009, 03:49 AM
another thanks for sharing your trip report. i get so anxious to go every time i read one but i am so glad to hear when others have such an awesome trip. :mickey:

vizsla
02-14-2009, 06:40 AM
Thanks for the report.

aprilisis
02-14-2009, 11:38 AM
Thanks, everyone!
It did rain on the 2nd & was cool the rest of the week, but we're New Englanders & it didn't phase us one bit! We brought an umbrella for the 2nd & fleece jackets for the cool weather. :-)

sleepingbooty
02-14-2009, 04:24 PM
Sounds like you had a great trip - thanks for sharing!

pdrlkr
02-16-2009, 07:54 AM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey:

faline
02-22-2009, 06:29 PM
Gosh! I hope they didn't mix up the gluten-free buns - that could be a real problem for someone on a gluten free diet!

Sounds like it was a wonderful trip!