PDA

View Full Version : Cozumel Shopping

minniemoomoo
02-12-2009, 12:24 PM
Being not much of a water person, I'd rather spend the day shopping at Cozumel. Has anyone done just that?There is no "planned" excursion for just shopping, so how difficult is it? Is there close shopping to the docking area?Must you take a taxi? Being a first timer there, I wasn't sure.I'd appreciate all views and insights.
Thanks ahead of time. :mickey:

disneydeb
02-12-2009, 12:29 PM
We took a taxi from the dock to the submarine dock there, but I think shopping is completely within walking distance. ( if I don't have my ports confused):mickey:

RobWreck
02-14-2009, 12:04 PM
In Cozumel, when you get off the boat and walk from the dock to the street, on the other side is a rather large mall... which is where we spent our day when our excursions were cancelled for bad weather. Plenty of jewelry stores, hand-woven blankets and throws, assorted shirts, various knick-knacks, etc...
So yes, there's shopping right after you get off the boat.
Rob

(Who really wanted to go to see the acheological ruins instead of going shopping...)

DisneyFr33k
02-14-2009, 07:59 PM
We just returned today from a WONDERFUL week long cruise! We docked at the main shopping district of Cozumel - no taxi needed. I don't know if they dock at the same port each time, but it was easy shopping - just walk on and off. Hope it is the same for you!

Ed
02-15-2009, 02:45 PM
One suggestion if you must use a taxi in Cozumel ~~

Stop at Senor Frog's on the other side of the pedestrian bridge first and fortify yourself with moy margaritas... :marg: :marg: :marg: :marg:

I'm still trying to recuperate.... :sick:

minniemoomoo
02-16-2009, 12:36 PM
Thanks for all of your help. With older parents it's just hard for them to take the typical excursions on foot and the water is out also. So shopping is perfect for them and for me. I appreciate all the input. Now just bring on the fun!

RobWreck
02-16-2009, 06:31 PM
Make sure to bring your camera... when we were there, there were several 'photo ops' of people dressed in various costumes int he courtyard area of the mall. When I say costumes, I don't mean like the characters on ship, I mean someone done up to look like a bronze statute of a scuba diver or the the aztec (mayan?) drummers.
Pretty cool...
Rob

PAYROLL PRINCESS
03-07-2009, 10:25 PM
We just wandered up and down the main drag shopping. But if you are going to buy something heavy, wait until you are on your way BACK to the ship to buy it. That way you won't have to carry it as long.
And we did stop at Carlos & Charlies for a drink and one was all that was needed!

Love of Disney
03-09-2009, 01:31 PM
I've never take a cruise to Cozmel before, but I have been there many times. On cruise ship days, the locals have told us that they raise the prices by 25-50 percent. Obviously you can barter with them, but just remember that the prices have been raised! Depending on the length of time at your port, we have also rented a car (for under $50) from the main fairy dock (where a lot of the shopping is). We then drove around the island and stopped off at some beautiful places. There are also smaller huts to buy stuff.

Have fun....:cool: