PDA

View Full Version : Disney tips and ideas Please

Disneymamaof5
02-12-2009, 09:05 AM
We are taking 2 of our girls down in May for their first trip to Disney World. They are 4 and 5. And we are flying down, staying onsite at the POP Century Resort.

Ok what I am needing is:

1. Ideas for on the airplane to keep them occupied and happy (the best one I have now is coloring books and triangle crayons-so they don't roll)
2. Ideas while waiting in lines at Disney to keep them occupied (the best one so far i have is Bubbles)
3. Tips to save money at Disney (One I love right now is Glow Sticks and glow necklaces for them from the $ store instead of buying the expensive character ones for the fireworks time)
4. Tips for a better trip while at Disney
5. Anything you got to help me out

I will also take any Toddler suggestions too, because we are going back down in September and taking our two 3 year olds. (I had to split them up!!!) That also means more Disney trips for me and hubby!!

yjgirl32
02-12-2009, 11:15 AM
I played go fish with my son on our flight down- he was 3 at the time. We also took his Leapster. Took story books about Disney. This got him excited- not that he wasn't anyway- but a little more so.

To save money I made my own autograph book- I made a mickey head, crown for the princesses to sign- dogbone for Pluto- Goofy's hat- etc. Saved some money and the characters went nuts over the pages. They spent a little extra time with him. Also to save money I went to our local Disney store ( could even look online) at the shirts, stuffed animals, watches etc and bought them ahead of time and put a different toy out each night.

As for things to do in line- we didn't really wait that long in line, but we looked for hidden mickeys or played I spy.

If you would like to see our autograph book for ideas pm me. Have a great trip.

Disney Doll
02-12-2009, 01:14 PM
3 words...Portable DVD Player :thumbsup:

AmandaChan
02-12-2009, 01:19 PM
I don't have children but I've read enough Disney Vac books to know a thing or two about helpful things to do. First of all maybe you can buy a small compatible DVD player for your children to share and watch a Disney DVD together! Maybe they can watch a Disney movie or one of the vacation planning DVD's ... maybe this will hold them over for the anticipation? For waiting in lines I've seen families use this time to feed their kids snacks and drinks (unless its an attraction that won't allow food/drink in the lines) and also UTILIZE THE fastpasses -- for example, get a fastpass to Peter Pan's Flight (always has a long line) and go ride It's a Small World and Haunted Mansion in the mean time, both of which do not have TOO long of lines. After an hour or so has passed get another fastpass (it should say on the FP when you can get another one for another attraction) for another busy attraction such as Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, for ex. Maybe even get some lunch in the meantime or go to Huck Finn's island and explore while you wait!

Also one of the things that I always find that's really important is taking a break. You get to MK at say 9 in the AM, you stay until ... 2. That's 5 hours. DH and I always go back to the resort for a nap/to relax/swim, this will take the edge off and make for a more productive day and you won't become overly exhausted. Then you can refresh and go out to maybe another park for dinner or fireworks somewhere until.. 9 or 10 pm.

beksy
02-12-2009, 01:43 PM
As the official "we're paying for the trip so you get to entertain your sister in line" person for our family (funny, I had the role for all family vacations :confused: except then it was keeping her entertained in the car...I'm an expert at talking Barney!) I had some things that worked. She was entertained with things like I spy (make sure it's not on a person or something that can move away before it is spied!), guess what color boat, car, etc. will come out next, what am I describing (giving hints about something Disney)?, etc. I didn't have to carry extra things and she was kept busy.

gaffz70
02-12-2009, 08:09 PM
For the plane..DVD,coloring books(new stuff from $ store in a back pack), fruit snacks to chew for ears.
In line...our first day we let them pick out one of those stupid toys that lights up and spins around - kept them occupied in lines all week - bring extra batteries.
Buy those water bottles w/ fans at Walmart before u go, so much cheaper and another thing to keep them entertained. take 2 umbrella strollers - easy maneuver on/off bus etc., Take advantage of am EMH, take nap in afternoon and back out in eve..I had a whole list and now I'm blanking....

PhilHarHarMagic
02-12-2009, 09:53 PM
I'll reiterate - FastPass is your friend.

When my kids were little, I made sure that I was going to be the focus of their attention on the airplane. We picked out one of those "magazines" that has games in it and played those. We got magazines (National Geographic for Kids, Nickelodeon, etc). We used a video camera at the park and watched the video on the way back. When my DS was 9 and DD was 4, they actually scripted out a movie and shot it on the plane (it was pretty short). Having several things to do was the key for them.

armmh
02-12-2009, 10:09 PM
A good tip for a DVD player: take the plug in your carry on. If you get delayed at the airport or stuck in a layover, you can find a quiet corner and plug it into a wall. This is a great way to get them OFF the moving sidewalk after 50 trips!! Also take headphones, the kids will hear it better on the plane and you wont stress about the volume for the people around you.

We also took those sewing (lacing?)cards, the ones with the yarn. Things with magnets are good too. (all for the plane. We havent been to WDW yet so I cant comment on the lines...)

ILoveLegos
02-12-2009, 10:33 PM
My 4 year old niece liked playing with Colorforms the original resticable vinyl sticker (the classic thicker ones are available on retro online sites, most toy stores have modern ones themed in Sponge Bob, Dora or Diego) on the plane.

Drinking through a straw helped her clear her ears and chewing gummy bears worked too!

We did not stand in any lines that were too long, so that meant we skipped Dumbo & Peter Pan. She didn't mind - Aladin and the "elevator ride" in Tomorrowland plus the Pooh ride was fine enough for her! By the end of the trip she'd say, that line is too long, let's skip it. :blush:

Taking a break in the day was a must, she didn't nap but being in the pool was relaxing to her and she looked forward to it daily.

My best tip is to relax, be flexible and let things happen - because magic moments usually come in the most unplanned of ways.

FourMsMom
02-20-2009, 11:35 PM
Colorforms kept my 5 year old busy the entire plane ride. Snacks were a big thing too!!

PETE FROM NYC
02-21-2009, 04:08 PM
You might want to re-think the bubbles idea.Some of the folks in line may not apprciate them.

aurora, ariel, and bell
02-21-2009, 09:27 PM
We took fancy "princess" dresses from home, less expensive than BBB. Also took hair extensions and crowns with sparkles for their hair. instant princesses at half the price.

Our girls were 2,3,and 4 last September, and there was enough in the lines themselves to keep them entertained.

I made up special backpacks for the plane. Picked up dollar store items, little dolls, paper dolls, crayons etc, and each girl could carry her own small backpack.

Disnutty
02-23-2009, 08:27 AM
The best tip I received was to take your own light portable stroller to the parks. It is very tough to carry a cranky child through the park and back to the resort. If you think your children are to old for a stroller think again. When one of them hits their wall and needs a nap or is just to tired to keep their eyes open, being able to put them in a stroller for a nap or the walk back to the monorail is terrific. During the day you can keep some of the stuff you just had to buy or you had to have with you, (wipes, sun screen snacks etc) in the stroller. The stroller is also a great seat for watching and waiting for the parades. You may push the stroller around all day but when one of them crashes it is worth all of the hassle of having it with you. Swallow the pride of "they are to old for a stroller" and have a light portable stroller with you. You will be glad you did.