PDA

View Full Version : Hollywood Studios Restaurant Suggestions

ghowlett
02-11-2009, 04:01 PM
We currently have ADRs for Sci-Fi Dine-in, but after reading mostly negative reviews, I'm beginning to regret my decision (plus I wasn't too crazy about the food after my last visit - I guess atmosphere won out over food when I was making my ADRs!). I want to change our ADR, but would like to stay in HS. So my question is, which HS restaurant would you recommend :eat:? We are a group of 6 adults, if that helps. Thanks!

MississippiDisneyFreak
02-11-2009, 04:07 PM
We've never tried 50's Primetime but have been told its pretty fun with decent food...but I'm thinking next time I may just grab CS at Starring Rolls and save my TS to use elsewhere...I also feel the same about TS in Magic Kingdom...we probably will skip TS there next time and try a signature restaurant at one of the resorts....I've heard some good things about Brown Derby too...as for Hollywood and Vine, Mama Melrose's and Sci Fi...we found the food to be a little below par

Lynn J Mc
02-11-2009, 04:29 PM
We always do Hollywood and Vine and do the Fantasmic package. H&V doesn't get the best reviews but it is always packed when we are there. They have a wide variety and great desserts.

dmallan
02-11-2009, 06:06 PM
We also like Hollywood and Vine. We tried it on a whim last time and were very pleased with the choices and the service.
We had a late ADR and the place was empty. Literally, there was no one left in the whole restaurant when we were finishing up our meal. I think everyone was on their way to Fantasmic. We'd seen it a few days earlier, so we took our time and enjoyed the meal.

crazygoalie39
02-11-2009, 06:21 PM
Mama Melrose's!!!!!! Great atmosphere, great food, great service.

RedSoxFan
02-11-2009, 06:50 PM
Mama Melrose would be my choice --- esp if you like Italian. We've eaten there twice and both times were great. I enjoyed Prime Time 50's too; but DH didn't care for the food. But it was a lot of laughs.

beksy
02-11-2009, 07:10 PM
I enjoyed 50's Prime Time as long as you don't mind playing along. The s'mores dessert was great!

AmandaChan
02-12-2009, 02:21 AM
Negative reviews don't mean a whole lot to me unless I can't find ONE GOOD THING about the restaurant. We ate at Sci-Fi a few years ago and we loved it. We went during lunch and we didn't have to wait very long for our reservations. I got a turkey sandwich which was exceptionally good for a regular old turkey sandwich -- DH had a burger, I think. He liked the food. We ate at 50's prime time and we had read a lot of bad reviews but again we liked it a lot. Most of the reviews that people provide depend on the experience/service and anyone can have a bad experience/service in ANY restaurant. We are going to try Brown Derby next trip for the first time. I just want it to be decent!

and in response to previous poster about 50's desserts -- the peanut butter and jelly shake was AMAZING. hopefully by our next trip the peanut butter recall will be over with :)

goofy78
02-12-2009, 02:31 AM
i like the sci-fi dine in, however, if you are looking for other options i would have to suggest mama melrose's and 50's prime time cafe. these are the only other TS i have experienced at mgm and they were both very tasty and had good atmosphere. i have heard good things about hollywood and vine and brown derby.

Jeniflower
02-12-2009, 07:15 AM
I agree, the evil twin and I love Mama melrose's and the 50's prime time is such a blast

VWL Mom
02-12-2009, 07:22 AM
We have tried Mama Melrose on our last 2 trips and have enjoyed it both times. The fried calamari with hot pepper appetizer is so good.

KylesMom
02-12-2009, 09:24 AM
I would have to recommend Mama Melrose. It has a great atmosphere, and their menu has some very tasty selections. It's a "must-do" each trip. Their sangria is to die for! :mickey:

jwildflower1981
02-12-2009, 10:49 AM
We love '50's Primetime. We didn't care for Hollywood & Vine to much. We will be trying Mama Melrose this November though. Happy eating!

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
02-12-2009, 11:02 AM
My husband and I just went a couple of weeks ago and ate at both the 50s Primetime and the Sci-Fi restaurants. We laughed our way through the entire 50s meal and the food was DELICIOUS. Yes, you do have to play along or you might be "called out" and embarrassed. But it is all in fun.

Our food at the Sci-Fi was pretty good too and the atmosphere was fun.

Luv Eeyore
02-12-2009, 12:32 PM
We've tried them all, and our favorite is 50's Prime Time. We've had the most fun there and it has been the most consistent in food quality and service.

goofy78
02-12-2009, 01:39 PM
We have tried Mama Melrose on our last 2 trips and have enjoyed it both times. The fried calamari with hot pepper appetizer is so good.

oh yeah, the calamari is awesome!

SBETigg
02-12-2009, 02:29 PM
With a group of adults, I think Brown Derby is the best choice for a good meal and a good time. Otherwise, I would leave the park and head for Spoodles or even better, Flying Fish.

artyboy
02-12-2009, 04:01 PM
Another nod for Brown Derby...we've never had a bad meal here. Yes, it's a bit more subdued than the other restaurants in the Studios...but it's a must-do for us, as we need a grown-up meal after a few days at the parks.

afowl1017
02-13-2009, 10:35 AM
To be honest I choose the restaurant by the menu first then by atmosphere. With three children I am all about where we can go to make the most out of the food choices. If it was just my DH and I, I would chose the Brown Derby. We have been there once before and enjoyed the entire dinner. However we are big big fans of 50's PTC. It is great to get to play along, look at all the "stuff" and say" My Aunt had that....and Oh my Grandma had that in her kitchen!" It is a blast and it doesn't hurt that the food is great too. I think my only complaint is the green beans. LOL! Be ready to eat your veggies!

PETE FROM NYC
02-13-2009, 04:55 PM
In past trips we enjoyed Prime Time and Hollywood & Vine.Decent food and I did not leave hungry.
I saw some recommendations for Mama Melrose.What they call Italian food is an insult to my Italian heritage.

jonahbear2006
02-13-2009, 05:07 PM
We also loved 50s Prime Time, however, with the amount of time we waited for our seat and the limited menu options, I can't really see a reason to go back; not when there are so many restaurants we haven't tried yet. They DO make the BEST milkshake in the WORLD!!! I havent had such a great milkshake in my lifetime! AND they let me use this as my dining plan drink.