PDA

View Full Version : Islands of Adventure?

Dakota Rose
02-10-2009, 08:21 PM
I'm helping some friends plan their trip to WDW in October. The mom & dad have both been there before (9 years ago) but their 2 kids have never been to WDW. The kids are 4 and 6.

They asked me if I thought Islands of Adventure was worth visiting while they're there. I don't know. I've never been. Mom and kids are not crazy about roller coasters or thrill rides.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Briansmom
02-10-2009, 09:20 PM
We went to Islands of Adventure on my daughters senior band trip to Disney in 2005. (It was included in the package..that is the only reason I went!) While it was fun, it is not Disney. There are alot of roller coaster type rides but there are others as well. I guess I am just a die hard Disney fan.....it was nice to experience it, but I bet you won't ever see in my signature that I'm planning a trip back there! :mickey:
And I bet the mom and dad will be surprised at all the new things they will see at Disney since their last trip nine years ago!

joonyer
02-11-2009, 12:28 AM
Although IOA has Suess Landing for the little kids that is about all for the little ones. Most of it is geared towards teens and older kids. 4 & 6 is a little young to be able to really enjoy most IOA attratctions, especially if the parents aren't into thrill rides either.

kakn7294
02-11-2009, 08:36 AM
We went to IOA in 2005 when DD was 5. She's on the smaller size for her age and there wasn't a lot she could (or would) do once we were out of the Dr. Seuss section. We went in September and at least 3 attractions and their "signature" restaurant were all closed, as were several smaller shops and snack locations. Maybe we just visited on a bad day but I wasn't impressed. The only reason we'd go back is for the Marvel Comics stuff since we're fans.

murphy1
02-11-2009, 09:30 AM
If I were them, I would get the day pass to both Universal and IoA (they could also get the express front of line pass, we really don't mind paying extra $$ to avoid lines, but it may not be busy when they go). They could go to Seuss area, which they will love maybe walk the circle and see what else they like, then go over to Universal for ET and maybe a couple of the rides there. Some kids are scared of the Shrek and Jimmy Neutron ride simulator things, so am not sure if they'd enjoy that or not.

JRocker
02-12-2009, 03:30 PM
I would say that if the parents aren't too thrilled about roller coasters, they should pass on Islands.
The little ones are too short to take advantage of the majority of the park. So, basically it would just be a window shopping tour.

I do like the suggestion of getting a pass for both Universal parks. The Studios side would be better suited for this family (for all that I know about them...), and the dual pass would give the kiddies a chance to check out Suess Landing in the thrill park.

But then again, if they just skipped US altogether, they would save some coin and have more time for the World.

thrillme
02-12-2009, 05:12 PM
My DS and I are Roller Coaster NUTZ. We LOVE them. I really like IOA but...it is more "thrill ride" orientated.

Being 4 and 6 unless they are tall they may not make all the rides. And the fact that they are not really thrill ride orientated...they may not be intrigued in going on them at all.

At their "ages" I'd stick with Disney. If you have a "down day" and are really looking for something outside of Disney you might consider "Sea World", Medieval Times or Golfing

ThanxForNoticin
02-12-2009, 06:56 PM
I would say that if the parents aren't too thrilled about roller coasters, they should pass on Islands.
The little ones are too short to take advantage of the majority of the park. So, basically it would just be a window shopping tour.

I agree 100%. We do Disney a lot, but we also really do like the change and rides at IOA on some trips. We enjoy IOA a lot. But for the situation you are describing, it does not sound like a good fit - save the money and spend more time at Disney, at least until the kids are much older.

murphy1
02-16-2009, 09:06 AM
They should also check out Sea World, the kids would love it I'm sure. However, if the kids have never even been to WDW, I think they might just want to stay there the whole time, especially since they will probably like some down time at the pool.