PDA

View Full Version : How bad is it in June?

masondoggy
02-10-2009, 02:58 PM
Our trip was scheduled THIS WEEK, but we had to cancel due to my son missing too much school this past month from illness. :cry:

Sooooo, now we're trying to figure out when to reschedule our trip. The rest of the school year is out because ds can't miss anymore school. We thought about waiting until Fall, but man, we don't want to wait that long!

So, what about June? Are the heat and crowds really unbearable? We're looking at maybe the second week and we can still take advantage of the great package deals offered right now. But we're really afraid of the heat and crowds.

bshaw96
02-10-2009, 03:38 PM
We've done June twice. I can't say noticed a crowd difference from when we went in February and September. Some rides had 30-45 minute waits without FP but I've never been when they didn't.

The heat was to us, miserable. The humidity worse. Daily afternoon thunderstorms. I really will never go in the summer again, though our May trip is probably pushing it.

Now that said I'm not trying to disuade u from going if that's the only time u have. If that was our ONLY option, we'd definitely do it. Just be prepared, the usual. Plenty of water, misting fans, pool breaks, back to the room in the hottest parts of the afternoon, sunscreen, etc. etc. You will be fine. Just be prepared for hot.

masondoggy
02-10-2009, 03:45 PM
We've done June twice. I can't say noticed a crowd difference from when we went in February and September. Some rides had 30-45 minute waits without FP but I've never been when they didn't.

The heat was to us, miserable. The humidity worse. Daily afternoon thunderstorms. I really will never go in the summer again, though our May trip is probably pushing it.

Now that said I'm not trying to disuade u from going if that's the only time u have. If that was our ONLY option, we'd definitely do it. Just be prepared, the usual. Plenty of water, misting fans, pool breaks, back to the room in the hottest parts of the afternoon, sunscreen, etc. etc. You will be fine. Just be prepared for hot.

How much affect does the afternoon thunderstorms have on the heat? What time of the day do they usually hit?

Scott C
02-10-2009, 03:52 PM
about 4 or so -- I find that after the storm the temps are much more tolerable. The storms don't last long -- I never found them to be much of an issue

Thanks
Scott C

oliver&bianca
02-10-2009, 04:00 PM
We went for 11 days this past June (8th-18th), and yes it was hot. But most of the queue areas are inside in the air conditioning or under cover from the sun. I can't really say that the heat bothered us TOO much. But again, it was hot.

The crowds weren't too bad at the beginning of our stay. By the end of the trip, we noticed the crowds getting heavier.

I would go again at that time, or in August like we have done in the past. Obviously it is also hot then, but crowds didn't seem to be as bad.

KylesMom
02-10-2009, 04:10 PM
As you can see, we frequently go in June or July (we alternate dates due to being passholders). Taking DS out of school for two weeks isn't an option for us due to our school district policies.

Quite frankly, we have not noticed a marked difference in temperatures or humidity between mid-May and the beginning of August.

Yes, it is hot. Crowds? Well, it seems that there aren't a whole lot of times where Disney isn't crowded these days. We keep hydrated, we utilize FastPass to its fullest, and we take breaks most every day, then return to the parks in the evening.

Unless you're going later in fall, you may hit upon the same type of temperatures that you'll encounter in June.

I should mention that this past July, we encountered extended periods of rain each day - much more than we've ever experienced in June. It usually falls for a short amount of time most every afternoon - our experience has been between 4 and 6 pm. Then it's back to fun as usual! :mickey:

pink
02-10-2009, 05:56 PM
We went in June of 07 and I was ok but my younger sibling and the rest of my family couldn't handle the heat. We walked from Sci-Fi to the Backlot Tour and they were exhausted, just to give you an idea. We also had many suvere thunderstorms occur when we were there.

Bring your rain ponchos and wear light clothing, you might also want to invest in one of those water fans. Stay positive and you will still have fun. :mickey:

wdwfansince75
02-10-2009, 06:22 PM
Most of our trips have been in June or early July...Yes, it is hot and humid....but....More daylight hours, frequent afternoon showers to chase part of the crowd...and lots of cool places to visit...Our crowd has ranged in age from infants through older adults...celebrated my 67th at WDW last June....The heat has never cost us a day at the parks...perhaps an afternoon or so now and again, but never more than a few hours.

Although we live in SC now, I was born in NYC (Queens...Richmond Hill, actually), and was raised in NE PA....Most of our earlier trips were from MD or PA ....Never "got used to" the heat and humidity, but it has never been a problem for us.

As for the crowds...that's why they invented Fast Passes and Park Hoppers....There's always someplace less crowded...and I can find it!

bshaw96
02-10-2009, 08:20 PM
How much affect does the afternoon thunderstorms have on the heat? What time of the day do they usually hit?

None that I ever noticed. Usually late afternoon the 2 times we've been. I've got pics of us standing in the rain, and it felt good coming down after raining all day, but the showers don't last long and don't do much to knock down the heat IMO.

I also should say that I wasn't this against summer until our February trip. I assumed a WDW trip could not be had without sweltering heat and lots of sweating. It was worth it to me to be at WDW. But after going in Feb last year, and seeing the remarkable difference, I can't do it again. The lines weren't any shorter, but they seemed it bc we weren't all miserably hot with grumpy kids =)

We'll be there the first few days of May this year, hopefully it won't be too bad. Whenever u go, no doubt you'll have a ball!

junedis
02-10-2009, 08:41 PM
Ditto all the helpful hints posted. Also, bring an insulated cooler backpack for water. It was the best purchase I made for our June trip last year. We are going again this year in June. We made the most of evening hours as it was cooler. Good Luck!:mickey:

MicMouse
02-11-2009, 10:02 AM
It will be hot and humid, and yes you will probably have to deal with thunderstorms daily. We were there last June and it stormed every day around 3 pm. One storm was severe, and the lightning strikes were very, very close. The monorail was temporarily shut down during this storm, but ran as soon as the worst of the storm was over.

Anyway, just make sure you stay hydrated, and if you can, try to visit the parks early in the morning. Also don't forget to use sunscreen!

The crowds didn't seem to be an issue at all, and we didn't wait more than 20 minutes for anything. We only used fastpass a few times.

Enjoy your trip!!

Mackflava99
02-11-2009, 10:42 AM
We have gone the last 2 years in June-
it hasnt been awful but it is hot and fairly crowded.
if you plan you r day well, then its ok.

Normally we used to go in november, and that was so much better.

pandkx3
02-11-2009, 10:47 AM
We usually go in June. The heat isn't a big issue for us because we're from south Mississippi. Just make sure that you drink alot of H2O, take your time and you'll be fine. The storms are usually very short and often a welcome relief from the heat!:mickey:

goofy78
02-11-2009, 11:35 AM
june is not a bad time to go. definitely consider the heat a factor though. as suggested in earlier posts, take a break during the hottest part of the day and cool off back at the room. :mickey:

masondoggy
02-11-2009, 11:47 AM
Thanks for all the replies. :)

We're seriously considering going for it. Heck, we just might not tell the kids and surprise them when it's time to leave....that'll make up for the let-down they felt when we had to cancel this weeks trip. That's really why we don't want to wait until fall, the kids have been so excited and waiting for a year for this week to come and they're really bummed. And I just KNOW, with our luck, something will come up between now and November and mess that trip up too. :mad:

goofy78
02-11-2009, 11:55 AM
well, hopefully everything goes well for y'all in the planning. as for the surprise treatment, that would be awesome! i could only imagine being told "get in the car we are going to WDW today!". :mickey:

masondoggy
02-11-2009, 12:51 PM
well, hopefully everything goes well for y'all in the planning. as for the surprise treatment, that would be awesome! i could only imagine being told "get in the car we are going to WDW today!". :mickey:

That's what the original plan was when we decided to do this trip. We were going to keep the whole thing secret until it was time to tell the kids to get in the car (I don't know how we would've pulled it off, but it sure would've been fun!). But I couldn't keep my darn mouth shut and I begged, begged DH to let me spill the beans. :D Then I regretted it after I told them, lol....

masondoggy
02-11-2009, 01:12 PM
Ok, here's an odd question....I'm just trying to get an idea of how bad the Florida heat is in June.....

I've been to Birmingham in August and it was hot, but bearable. Is there much difference between summer heat in Birmingham and Orlando?

dnickels
02-11-2009, 02:49 PM
Ok, here's an odd question....I'm just trying to get an idea of how bad the Florida heat is in June.....

I've been to Birmingham in August and it was hot, but bearable. Is there much difference between summer heat in Birmingham and Orlando?

I can only give my impression, but in the summers I've been in Orlando and made trips up to Atlanta I've felt a noticeable difference. It actually felt like a 'dry heat' in Atlanta as compared with central Florida. Granted, that's based on limited instances and I didn't pay special attention to the weather but it's my two cents.

Also, FWIW, I notice a world of difference between the humidity level of a South Florida (Miami and Ft. Lauderdale) summer day as compared with a Central Florida summer day.

bshaw96
02-11-2009, 03:26 PM
Thanks for all the replies. :)

We're seriously considering going for it. Heck, we just might not tell the kids and surprise them when it's time to leave....that'll make up for the let-down they felt when we had to cancel this weeks trip. That's really why we don't want to wait until fall, the kids have been so excited and waiting for a year for this week to come and they're really bummed. And I just KNOW, with our luck, something will come up between now and November and mess that trip up too. :mad:

We did the surprise thing last family trip. It was awesome. We left the day they got outta school. We had been telling them we were going to the beach for the weekend to explain the packing. We drove to the airport and pretended to have taken a wrong turn. We managed to pull it off until we actually had to check our luggage at which point we told them we were going to WDW for 2 week. The expressions on their face was priceless!!!!!!!

hubbyofadisneyholic
02-11-2009, 08:41 PM
We go in June almost every year. Yes it is hot and humid. IIRC temps and humidity in the 90s are pretty much the norm.
And while the short afternoon showers are common, we have also seen all day rains. One trip about 7 yrs ago we had all day rains almost everyone of the 8 days we were there.

We carry plenty of partially frozen bottles of water, head back to the resort at the hottest part of the day and know when to say when.

Just keep reminding yourself that a hot sweaty day @ WDW is still a whole lot better than even a good day at work...:mickey:

masondoggy
02-13-2009, 01:29 PM
Well, we just booked a package at the Contemporary for July 18-25. Holy smokes, we're gonna roast!!

Anybody wanna take bets on whether we can keep our traps shut and surprise the kids at the last minute? :D

Now I'm off to sort our our dining reservations....

thepoats
02-13-2009, 08:35 PM
How bad are the crowds the first weekend of June? I understand this is Gay Days weekend and was wondering if it was more or less crowded that weekend.

Thanks in advance.

DryCreek
02-13-2009, 09:32 PM
How bad are the crowds the first weekend of June? I understand this is Gay Days weekend and was wondering if it was more or less crowded that weekend.
Thanks in advance.

on which parks you go to. If you have children with you or are generally not interested in witnessing some of the more overt displays of affection, you can check out

[link removed per terms of service]

I believe that they all pick certain parks on certain days. Knowing this may help you avoid the more "liberal" crowds.

Now, your lodging may not be so easy to work around. Just be aware that there may be some things going on in the pools and other common areas where you have to explain things to your kids.

thepoats
02-14-2009, 08:57 AM
We don't have any problems with the alternate lifestyle, but we have a DD11 and a DD8 and would rather not have to explain "the more overt displays of affection". Have many of you been to the World during this time and how bad is the "liberal" behavior? Our hope was (I know this sounds bad, but it happens) that enough people were turned off by this behavior that it would be less crowded at this time.

Daisy'sMom
02-14-2009, 05:43 PM
OK, it is not unlikely for the heat index to be 113 and higher in the summer months. That's why it is a good idea to head back to the hotel in the afternoon for a rest and swim. That is if the storms are not rolling in. Usually that is June is our rainy season. Lots of fast moving storms that make the humidity seem unbearable. But remember, you will be at Disney and that is "the best time of your life". Just have fun.
Regarding Gay Days, we have been there during this time and have to say we never had a problem with seeing any affectionate displays in front of our children. It is not that noticeable.

thrillme
02-15-2009, 05:49 PM
I haven't really been in "June" but I've been in July.

It IS hot :thedolls: But I'm from Texas and I find it to be really HOT here too. I kinda feel that Florida is a little cooler but it's got a lot more humidity. My answer for it all is SIMPLE...carry with you a little thingy of baby powder of baby cornstarch and you'll be fine.

We went this past October and while cooler I kinda preferred summer. October was crowded over Columbus day but...in the summer the parks stay open later...including Animal Kingdom. In the summer we're able to stay "longer" because we don't feel the "guilty" pressure of keeping my DS out of school too long (I know a lot of people do it but he's not in elementary anymore and it makes "me" a bit unfomortable).

We got to the park EARLY in the morning and got fast passes for everything we could within reasonable walking distance. Jumped on rides when the line was low...used Single Rider where we could (it's really not that big of a deal...we each had a different experience to share when we met up). At Magic Kingdom (this park was open the latest)...we made sure to go back and swim or get some rest so we could stay out till 2 am. The night air was ALWAYS perfect.

Because we have the freedom of having "extra" days we take a few down days and water park time. Just their normal operating hours alone is later so a lot of tired people leave late in the day and at noon. It's crowded but not bad.

As far as the "overt" affection thingy...I really haven't seen much of anything but I'm usually fairly non-observant to a lot of things. I'm too busy looking for "characters" or short lines.

1stitch
02-15-2009, 06:51 PM
If you are not accustomed to the south, and by that I mean heat and humidity you could be miserable, get out early and stay by the pool till the sun starts going down. Make the best of it, and pray for rain because that will really cool it down some.

goofy78
02-15-2009, 07:40 PM
We don't have any problems with the alternate lifestyle, but we have a DD11 and a DD8 and would rather not have to explain "the more overt displays of affection". Have many of you been to the World during this time and how bad is the "liberal" behavior? Our hope was (I know this sounds bad, but it happens) that enough people were turned off by this behavior that it would be less crowded at this time.

a few years ago i ended up being there during this time frame. what i saw was very blatant and direct expressions and displays of affection. if you go during this time, prepare yourself for having to explain to your children what is going on.

princessjojo
02-16-2009, 10:49 AM
We usually prefer June to the rest of the year only because of the boys school schedule. They older now and it isn't as easy to pull them out of school for a week or more.

That said, we know ahead of time that it's going to be really really warm and it's more than likely going to rain many afternoons. So we aren't surprised and prepare accordingly. We actually really like this time of year because the park hours are longer. We sleep in later, spend time by the pool during the day and play in the parks in the evening. Sure we may not get too many fast passes, but during late EMH the parks aren't as crowded anyways.

It's a give-and-take.