PDA

View Full Version : Port Orleans Riverside

dizzy123
02-10-2009, 12:44 PM
Beautiful grounds, but hotel rooms are average at best. We all got sick after staying in the rooms. Mousekeeping didn't do anything special either with the kids stuffed animals. I would upgrade next visit. Castmembers at front desk were average as well, definatley not extra friendly. Bar tender added 18% gratiuity onto our drinks which were already super expensive. The main resort pool was closed for refurbisement and the hotel was dead.

Septbride2002
02-10-2009, 12:52 PM
Thanks for the review.

mom2morgan
02-10-2009, 01:09 PM
Beautiful grounds, but hotel rooms are average at best. We all got sick after staying in the rooms. Mousekeeping didn't do anything special either with the kids stuffed animals. I would upgrade next visit. Castmembers at front desk were average as well, definatley not extra friendly. Bar tender added 18% gratiuity onto our drinks which were already super expensive. The main resort pool was closed for refurbisement and the hotel was dead.

Sorry to hear you were disappointed. I really like POR - especially since I can't even afford to stay in a Deluxe. What do you mean about getting "sick" though? What do you think was wrong with the rooms that would actually cause illness? We certainly didn't have that problem in December! I just can't imagine how that could be the hotel's fault.

beksy
02-10-2009, 01:58 PM
Now I'm worried. That's where we're staying in May for the first time. Anybody had a good experience recently?

dizzy123
02-10-2009, 02:03 PM
The room wasn't very clean and had that dampness to it. We all woke up stuffy / head colds. Don't know if it was the hotel, but we had 3 rooms, and people from all of the rooms got sick.
I don't want to give anyone the impression that this is a bad hotel. I've stayed there twice. My first expierence was better. It's not horrible, it's just hard to justify the price for such an average "less than comfort suites quality" room.

afowl1017
02-10-2009, 02:19 PM
My family and I stayed at Riverside almost a year ago and loved the whole resort. Very beautiful! It is actually my youngest son's favorite place to stay. But I must admit that we had issues with the state of our room. We didn't get sick but it was dusty and had hair and old soap wrappers in the bathroom. The cleaning job just looked rushed. I was shocked. We did let the front desk know.

elmjimmlm
02-10-2009, 02:30 PM
Now I'm worried. That's where we're staying in May for the first time. Anybody had a good experience recently?

Don't worry...POR is great!!! We have stayed there for the past 3 years and plan on staying again soon...The rooms are great and we have never had a problem with them...
Mousekeeping does a great job and left us some pretty great stuff in our room in Dec.
We love the food court and Boatwrights too...If you check around a little on here you will find out how many like the food court and everything else POR has to offer...
For the price it is the best resort for the money IMO...:mickey:

katzctkpt
02-10-2009, 03:41 PM
Sorry to hear you were disappointed. I really like POR - especially since I can't even afford to stay in a Deluxe. What do you mean about getting "sick" though? What do you think was wrong with the rooms that would actually cause illness? We certainly didn't have that problem in December! I just can't imagine how that could be the hotel's fault.

As you can see by my signature POR is the resort of our choice. We was just there this past Dec/Jan and had no problems with any illness. (You do know that this time of the year the cold/flu :ill: is going around? Maybe you were exposed to it from your state and just so happened that with the climate change etc it kicked in.) We have had mousekeepers that were awesome and went out of their way and others that was just so, so. The food court and restaurant has no complaints from me imo the food is much better here than at some of the counter service places in the parks.
Just a little suggestion for those going soon take a can of lysol and spray everything, knowing that this time of year is cold/flu season any preventive measures is wise. :D

#1donaldfan
02-10-2009, 04:03 PM
Don't worry...POR is great!!! We have stayed there for the past 3 years and plan on staying again soon...The rooms are great and we have never had a problem with them...
Mousekeeping does a great job and left us some pretty great stuff in our room in Dec.
We love the food court and Boatwrights too...If you check around a little on here you will find out how many like the food court and everything else POR has to offer...
For the price it is the best resort for the money IMO...:mickey:

...this sums it up almost perfectly.....mousekeeping for us year after year goes WAY out of their way for us....we get a vast array of towel animals, the rooms are always very tidy and clean....the food court is great, Boatwrights breakfast is the best of any Disney eatery....I could go on and on, however to sum it up in one word they are GREAT !!!

DixieBelle
02-10-2009, 06:48 PM
We love POR and have never had a bad experience there.
However, I noticed that you did not have a good experience at the bar and the pool was closed. I think that a few bad experiences can throw a dark cloud over your entire stay.
I hope that your next trip works out better for you......
:mickey:

jonahbear2006
02-10-2009, 07:10 PM
We just booked our trip for our 10 yr anniversary here at Riverside...about 10 min ago. 9 nights with 10 day tickets the works. We shall see how it goes and let you know. I expect good things though. I have heard a lot of people happy about their stay there.

dan24
02-11-2009, 09:44 AM
after staying at the value resorts we decided to upgrade to moderate..we wondered if they would not have that disney feel that the value resorts do, but we were suprised to find that it was better. The atmosphere at POR is like no other.. I do have to say mousekeeping wasnt the best.. we left tips and still didnt get any towel animals which i love.. anyway we love POR the food court is wonderful.. we will be going in less than 60 days. :mickey:

Gooftroop5
02-12-2009, 02:31 PM
after staying at the value resorts we decided to upgrade to moderate..we wondered if they would not have that disney feel that the value resorts do, but we were suprised to find that it was better. The atmosphere at POR is like no other.. I do have to say mousekeeping wasnt the best.. we left tips and still didnt get any towel animals which i love.. anyway we love POR the food court is wonderful.. we will be going in less than 60 days. :mickey:

This year is our first time at POR. Last year was our first year at a Moderate (CBR) before was either campground, twice at the value and way back in the 70's we stayed off site. We found it depended on who was doing mousekeeping last year. Some days we'd come back & kids animals would be arranged cute for them one day they were watching out the window waiting for us. (my nieces were too)Then other days it seemed like they did what they had to do nothing extra just bare minimum. My youngest ds got sick on his bed spread one night so the next day we didn't have one when we got back to the room. Then the following day it was sitting folded on the bed. The first day we were there was the only day we had a towel animal.

I should mention ds got sick cause of an allergy he has to blue dye. Our own fault. The one time we weren't diligent.

hubbyofadisneyholic
02-12-2009, 08:17 PM
We have stayed at POR several times, as recently as last October. It is our favorite Moderate resort.
We have never experienced the issues the OP had to deal with.

Although, I am still waiting for our server to bring us our change for the round of drinks we had. Funny thing is, we probalby would have left it as a tip, but it would have been nice to be able to make the decision ourselves...

Maybe he will bring it to us when we are there in June. :D

DryCreek
02-12-2009, 08:45 PM
Here is our trip report

Trip Report (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=149847)

Overall, the room was OK, although a bit smallish for four adults. We didn't spend a whole lot of time there, and there were no foul odors or other problems.

DW was a bit disappointed that no Disney Towel Animals made an appearance (even on her Birthday!).

jonahbear2006
02-13-2009, 02:05 AM
we were upset about the no towel animal thing too but we stayed at the beach club and still didnt get any. so, there is no guarantee anywhere.

Disney Doll
02-13-2009, 01:49 PM
We had a good experience at POR last October. It was a beautiful resort. Our room was clean and we had a great mousekeeper who left a few towel animals and always arranged our son's toys. Towel animals are a nice little surprise, but it shouldn't be expected. I wasn't that into the rustic theme, but that's just a matter of personal taste.

DryCreek
02-13-2009, 03:22 PM
Don't get me wrong - the rooms were clean and not offensive in any way. We all agreed the southern charm theming was perfect. The old Dixie Landing resort has held up pretty well. I just think the rooms could be bigger.

elmjimmlm
02-13-2009, 03:55 PM
Here are a few towel animals that were left for us in Dec.

penguin (http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll94/elmjimmlm/DisneyWorld2008108.jpg)

gator eating a bird (http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll94/elmjimmlm/DisneyWorld2008109.jpg)

There were others that we had and didnt take a picture of but they really went all out on our last trip...