PDA

View Full Version : Franco Harris

Melanie
02-09-2009, 04:12 AM
Okay Steeler's fans...educate me.

I'm almost embarrassed to admit this, because I really am a huge sports fan, but I've never heard of this guy. :shrug: He's coming here to our base tomorrow, and my husband, being that he's now out of the country, instructed me to buy a football and go wait in line to have it signed.

So what do I need to know? :football:

Altair
02-09-2009, 08:35 AM
The Immaculate Reception. Do a search.:thumbsup:

kakn7294
02-09-2009, 08:51 AM
It's okay Mel, we'll chalk it up to you being too young to remember Franco Harris. He's a 58 year old Jersey-born Penn State alum running back who played for the Steelers for most of his career - 12 yrs in Pittsburgh and his final year in Seattle. He was drafted in '72 and played on all 4 '70's Steeler Superbowl teams. He was NFL Rookie of the Year in '72, was selected to 9 Pro Bowl teams, and rushed for over 1000 yds per season 8 times. He was MVP of Superbowl IX in '75. He is famous for the "Immaculate Reception" - a highly debated spectacular catch made in a '72 playoff game against the Oakland Raiders that won the game for the Steelers. He had a large fan following that dubbed themselves "Franco's Italian Army". His number 32 has never been worn by another Steeler's player although it's not been officially retired. He was selected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1990.

I_am_ts
02-09-2009, 09:45 AM
I once sat next to Franco on a flight!! :cool:

We had a nice chat. Of course, did I ask him for his autograph? NO! Didn't want to be a pest - LOL.

#1donaldfan
02-09-2009, 01:51 PM
......GET THE FOOTBALL and have it signed !!!!!

Mendelson
02-09-2009, 07:59 PM
I got to meet Franco at an event at the Smithsonian several years ago and he was such a nice guy. I had called my dad and had him on the cell phone and asked Frano if he'd talk to him. He agreed to and they talked for a couple minutes...the highlight of my dad's life!

kakn7294
02-09-2009, 11:45 PM
Well Mel, I'm anxiously waiting to hear if you went and hoping for pictures!

Melanie
02-10-2009, 12:27 AM
Thanks for all the background everyone! I knew I could get the quick lowdown from you guys. :thumbsup:

Just got back - he was very nice!!! I was happy we got there early though, because the line was huge when we left. My friend is from the Pittsburgh area, so they had a lot to talk about. She was so giddy! :D He then asked me where I was from. I told him NC and he actually started talking Panthers with me. So nice.

Terrible lighting on the pic!

kakn7294
02-10-2009, 07:22 AM
Thanks for sharing you pic! Everyone says he's such a great guy. I've never met him.