PDA

View Full Version : We chose the "Birthday Fun Card"

magicofdisney
02-06-2009, 02:00 PM
My oldest son's birthday was yesterday so we drove down for a couple of days to partake in the current Disney Celebration. He chose the Birthday Fun Card because we have season passes.

We had to show a certified copy of his birth certificate along with the online registration. I also had to let them scan his season pass, to confirm he already has a ticket.

You get the card at the Will Call window. It was my understanding we should have gone to Guest Services (from what I read online) but they directed us to the Will Call windows.

I was surprised at the number of people participating in this promotion. They had 3 Will Call booths (6 windows) set up for just this promotion. Each booth was 4-5 families deep. If you are not taking part in this promotion they direct you to ticket windows elsewhere. For example, a family behind me was picking up military tickets with directions to Will Call and they sent him to another window.

My son turned 11 so he received the equivalent of an adult ticket ($75) that can be used at various locations through Disney. We had gone to Epcot because he wanted to purchase some toys from Japan's gift shop, but that store is excluded. There are quite a few exclusions, but basically, if it's a Disney store selling Disney merchandise, you can most likely use the card.

The card did not have to be used only on the day of the birthday. He still has a $57 balance and he'll probably use that over the next year.

You cannot use the card for food or beverage purchases.

If you have any questions, let me know. :mickey:

mouseketeer mom
02-06-2009, 02:41 PM
Thanks! My daughter is turning 13 on March eighth, and she will choose the fun card too. I already registered online, but I hate travelling with her birth certificate, but I guess we have to. If you get the fun card at MK, can you use it in the other parks too that day?

TinkerbellT421
02-06-2009, 02:41 PM
The card did not have to be used only on the day of the birthday. He still has a $57 balance and he'll probably use that over the next year.

Really? I thought they specifically stated when it came out that all of those perks could only be used that day of your birthday? After that I thought everything expired? hmm

If thats true that cool. :thumbsup:

LorrieP
02-06-2009, 04:07 PM
Thanks for the info. We are going in June for my birthday :party: and I plan on getting the Birthday Fun Card since we have tickets included in our package.

danicafan
02-06-2009, 04:58 PM
I too chose the Birthday Fun Card and used my $75 to buy a watch at Uptown Jewelers at The Magic Kingdom. The watch was $75 so I only had to pay the tax which was $4.88
I was suprised at how many people were celebrating their birthday the same day as me January 22. However, I do believe I was the only 40 year old!! Most of them were children!

Imagineer1981
02-06-2009, 05:25 PM
I totally would take the gift card, we easily spend over 75 on gifts for others alone. The fast pass would be nice, but I can work that system just fine

Hayden's Dad
02-06-2009, 05:48 PM
Can the card be used at DTD too? My wife loves World of Disney and Once Upon a Toy. :mickey:

magicofdisney
02-06-2009, 06:11 PM
If you get the fun card at MK, can you use it in the other parks too that day?
The card can be used at multiple stores on multiple days. They actually give you a flyer with suggested locations to spend the money. They are,
The Emporium-MK
Mouse Gear-Epcot
Mickey's of Hollywood-DHS
Island Mercantile-AK

Really? I thought they specifically stated when it came out that all of those perks could only be used that day of your birthday? After that I thought everything expired? hmm If thats true that cool. :thumbsup:
Besides a ticket for the day of your birthday, you can get a ticket to be used within one year of your birthday. Perhaps this is why the Fun Card can be used on several days.

Can the card be used at DTD too? My wife loves World of Disney and Once Upon a Toy. :mickey:
This is a quote from the flyer. "You may use the Birthday Fun Card only towards the purchase of merchandise items at participating merchandise locations owned and operated by the owners of the Walt Disney World Resort."

merlinmagic4
02-06-2009, 08:00 PM
My daughter is going to get the card on her birthday in April. Are many of the shops in Epcot excluded? We had planned Epcot for the day because she wanted to shop there (I also thought you had to spend it in one park/one day).

Thanks! This is good information!

LauraleeH
02-06-2009, 09:02 PM
Darn, I'm not interested in merchandise, I was hoping to buy my parents/brother lunch at Whispering Canyon. Oh well...
Does this mean I can't use it at the gift shop at the Wilderness Lodge then? Darn, again! :blush:

magicofdisney
02-06-2009, 11:43 PM
My daughter is going to get the card on her birthday in April. Are many of the shops in Epcot excluded? We had planned Epcot for the day because she wanted to shop there (I also thought you had to spend it in one park/one day).

Thanks! This is good information!
Part of the exclusion includes, but is not limited to, China, Japan, and Morocco pavilions at World Showcase in Epcot.

Darn, I'm not interested in merchandise, I was hoping to buy my parents/brother lunch at Whispering Canyon. Oh well...
Does this mean I can't use it at the gift shop at the Wilderness Lodge then? Darn, again! :blush:
I'm pretty sure gift shops at the resorts are owned and operated by the owners of the Walt Disney World Resort, so they should be included.

1EeyoreFan
02-07-2009, 10:18 AM
I will be there next week for my b-day! I called to add a day on to our trip and asked how the certificate worked while I had someone on the phone. I was told that you needed to go to the will-call, show proper identification (with a DOB), and the card had to be used in full the same day.

I will ask again when we redeem the voucher if you can carry a balance over. Not that I should have a problem finding something to buy. :party:

TinkerbellT421
02-07-2009, 12:48 PM
Terms and Conditions per Disney site, this list includes all stores not covered. And says nothing about it having to be used that day which means that yes you can carry a balance.

Use of Birthday Fun Card is acceptance of its terms and conditions.

1. You may use the Birthday Fun Card towards the purchase of select merchandise items at participating merchandise locations owned and operated by the owners of the Walt Disney World® and Disneyland® Resorts. The Birthday Fun Card may also be used for other select purchases including Disney's PhotoPass® on–site services and tour experiences. The Birthday Fun Card may not be used towards the payment of Walt Disney World® or Disneyland® Resort Hotel room night folio charges, or a Disney Cruise Line® reservation aboard Disney Cruise Line®, or towards the purchase of any food and beverage items, alcohol, cigarettes, spa services and products, or personal services such as face painting, caricature drawings, hair braiding, and hair wrapping.

2. The Birthday Fun Card is also not accepted at Walt Disney World® Resort Operating Participant locations, including but not limited to, China, Japan, and Morocco pavilions at World Showcase in Epcot®, Arribas Brothers, Basin, Basin White, Cirque du Soleil, Curl by Sammy Duval, Ghiradelli, House of Blues, Hoypoloi, LEGO Imagination Center, Magic Masters, Magnetron, Niki Bryan Spas, Orlando Harley Davidson Store, Planet Hollywood, Rainforest Cafe, Richard Petty Driving Experience, Rubio Balloon Arts, SD Watersports, Sosa Cigar, Starabillias, Sunglass Icon, Surrey Bike Rental, Virgin Megastore, Wyland Galleries and any other locations or kiosks that are not owned and operated by the owners of the Walt Disney World® Resort.

3. The Birthday Fun Card is also not accepted at Disneyland® Resort Operating Participant locations or any other locations or kiosks that are not owned and operated by the owners of the Disneyland® Resort, including but not limited to, Midway Games, Names Unraveled, Jewel of Orleans, Silhouette Studio, Portrait Artists, Parasol Cart, Heraldry Shop, Crystal Shops (Crystal Arts & Crystal d'Orleans), Paradise Pier Face Painting, Airbrush Tattoos, Rubio Portrait Artist or at Downtown Disney® District locations except World of Disney®Store, Marceline's Confectionery, Disney Vault 28 and Disney's Pin Traders. The Birthday Fun Card is also not accepted at Disneyland®Resort outdoor vending carts.

4. No portion of the Birthday Fun Card balances will be redeemed for cash.

5. The terms of acceptance of the Birthday Fun Card by participating Walt Disney World® or Disneyland® Resort locations and the valid purchases that may be made by the Birthday Fun Card may vary, check with individual locations for Birthday Fun Card program participation details.

6. The Birthday Fun Card will not be replaced if lost, stolen or damaged, except as may be required by law.

7. The Birthday Fun Card may not be resold in any manner whatsoever.

8. The Birthday Fun Card may not be used towards the purchase of any Disney Dollars or gift certificates/cards.

9. The Birthday Fun Card is issued by and represents an obligation of Disney Gift Card Services, Inc.

10. The Birthday Fun Card is not a credit or debit card and carries no warranties, express or implied.

11. Disney Gift Card Services, Inc. is not responsible for any unauthorized use of your Birthday Fun Card.

12. Notwithstanding anything to the contrary in the applicable merchandise return policies, if merchandise purchased with a Birthday Fun Card is returned with an original receipt, an exchange for an item(s) of equal value will be made or a Walt Disney World® Resort/Disneyland® Resort Merchandise Credit will be provided. All other terms and conditions of the merchandise return policy will apply.

Disney Gift Card Services, Inc. reserves the right to modify, alter, amend or change the terms and conditions of the program without advance notice.

magicofdisney
02-07-2009, 02:06 PM
I will be there next week for my b-day! I called to add a day on to our trip and asked how the certificate worked while I had someone on the phone. I was told that you needed to go to the will-call, show proper identification (with a DOB), and the card had to be used in full the same day.

I will ask again when we redeem the voucher if you can carry a balance over. Not that I should have a problem finding something to buy. :party:
I can only tell you what they told me as they were handing the card to my son. I will be extremely ticked off if he has lost the balance because someone didn't have the correct information at the time. Unfortunately, that's not all too uncommon at Disney.

joelkfla
02-08-2009, 10:17 AM
Really? I thought they specifically stated when it came out that all of those perks could only be used that day of your birthday? After that I thought everything expired?
The initial announcement did say the Birthday Fun Card would be valid only on the birthday, but that rule was dumped before the year started. It still will be issued only on the birthday.