PDA

View Full Version : Lunch NYC sunday

tinksmom02
02-06-2009, 12:03 PM
Short notice, I know, but can anyone recommend a place to eat in/near Times Square? We're going to see Mary Poppins at 1pm. Would like to grab a bite beforehand somewhere in the vicinity. The New Amsterdam theater is pretty close to Times Sqaure, am I correct?

Will be me, DD6, and my folks. Dad has diverticulitis (sp?), so we'll probably avoid anything Italian (too tempting for him).

TIA!

cubbie
02-06-2009, 01:16 PM
I would guess locals and others might have better suggestions, but here are some fun restaurants around Time Square that we went to:

- Ellen's Stardust Diner (51st and Broadway)- A cramped diner, where the wait staff will climb on tables and ledges while singing various songs. Typical diner food, but definitely a fun experience. The wait staff all had amazing voices.

Mars 2112 (51st and Broadway)- Kind of a Rain Forest Cafe-type restaurant, only instead of a rain forest, it's set on Mars.

There's also your typical Hard Rock, Planet Hollywood, and ESPN Zone. My favorite was Bubba Gump's Shrimp Co., which is smack dab in the middle of Times Square. Hope some of this helps.

ChipDale2708
02-06-2009, 01:18 PM
If you like BBQ, try Virgils on either 44th or 45th. We have never had a bad meal there. There is also Cafe Une, Deux, Trois right in the same vicinity. If you want the ultimate Broadway experience, try Sardi's. Pricey yes, but a classic. Have a great time!

JPL
02-06-2009, 01:21 PM
Virgils is awesome use to do lunch there alot when I worked in the city:thumbsup:

ElenitaB
02-06-2009, 02:40 PM
Hey, Christ! I used to work in an office right next to the New Amsterdam theatre (214 W 42nd). Not exactly sure what you're looking for but here are some suggestions:

Virgil's (152 W. 44th) / as good as everyone says it is. Reservations might be a good idea. They have their menu online so you can see if there's anything your Dad can eat
Bubba Gump Shrimp Co (1501 Broadway - across from ABC's Times Sq Studios and cattycorner to Toys R' Us) / Yes, it's a chain restaurant but we really enjoy the music and the food. My DS loves it there and your DD might really like it too. They have great selections on the kid's menu, and the adult's menu is pretty good too.
Ollie's Noodle Shop (200B W 44th St) / Chinese food, and for some reason I think it is also owned by the same group that owns Carmine's and Virgil's Good eats and on the reasonable side
Osteria al Doge (142 W 44th) / very nice Italian trattoria. Might be less crowded on a weekend than some of the other restaurants in the area. They have lots of food on the "lighter side" that isn't loaded down with sauce, etc.
Haru Sushi (205 W 43rd) / another one of our favorite lunch haunts
Heartland Brewery (127 W 43rd) / an American bistro-type place. Decent place and decent food. I think you've been with us to the 51st location. The Times Sq location is much bigger.

There are bunches of other restaurants in the immediate area such as Red Lobster, Ruby Tuesday's, Applebee's, Chevy's, ESPN Zone.

tinksmom02
02-06-2009, 10:21 PM
Thanks for the great suggestions, everyone! I was happy to recognize some of the places you've mentioned--that means I'm looking in the right area LOL

We've done Planet Hollywood, Hard Rock, etc. Don't really want anything too fancy. I was thinking about Mars 2112...but I dunno. Bubba Gump had caught my eye, too, and I know Dad would love it, but not sure about DD or mom.

And Ellen I was actually thinking about the Heartland Brewery! I know the one we went to, and I was previously at the one in South Street Seaport, as well. That might be right up our alley.

Anyway, thanks so much, everyone! I appreciate the quick suggestions. Will probably just leave it to chance and see what we feel like on Sunday, but I'm glad to at least have a few ideas to go on!

Thanks again!

kakn7294
02-07-2009, 12:26 AM
DH and I ate at the ESPN Zone back in July and actually really enjoyed it. Food was good and we didn't have any wait at all.