PDA

View Full Version : Campground Safety

Dznygrl79
02-05-2009, 07:15 AM
I am going camping by myself at the Fort in October. I am going to be tent camping and not have a car. How safe is it to leave things in my tent during the day. I mean obviously not cash but just my camping stuff. Has anyone had any trouble? Is there security? Any info would be appreciated.

vicster
02-05-2009, 08:58 AM
We've camped many times at Ft. Wilderness in a camper and have never had a problem. We do leave things outside (Weber grill, bikes, chairs) and everything's just fine. I find campers are an honorable group and don't bother anyone else's things. There are many tent campers there and I've never heard of anyone having a problem so I think you're quite safe.

medic9016
02-05-2009, 09:38 AM
We have not had any problems either. It' not unheard of though. If you have something you fell need to be secured, there are small safes up front at the check-in building. I have read on other sites of bicycles and those mickey lamp people make being taken.

ibrowse17
02-05-2009, 11:20 AM
Agreed. We have tent camped there several times, and have not had any problems. Security is pretty good, and as noted, they do have lockers should you feel the need for one. Have a great trip:thumbsup:

CU Tiger
02-06-2009, 12:24 PM
We have never had a problem and have never had any reports of anyone having problems. We leave all our stuff out and usually our camper is unlocked. With the guard gate, it is hard for someone to just come through FW without having a reason. No matter if it is FW or other campgrounds, campers seem to always be a good group of people.:thumbsup: Have fun and no worries!:mickey:

medic9016
02-06-2009, 06:38 PM
With the guard gate, it is hard for someone to just come through FW without having a reason.

WOW. You can park in the overflow parking lot and hop on a bus into FW or to a park. People do it all the time. On another Disney forum, there are people that live in the area that park in the overflow lot and ride their bike into FW to see the construction updates.

joonyer
02-07-2009, 01:10 AM
I don't know the statistics for FW compared to other campgrounds when it comes to thefts, etc. but I would guess that it is very low to non-existent. I have been camping for nearly 50 years, both tent camping and in a pop-up (which is just as easy to unzip as a tent) in nearly every imaginable type of campground, State Park, National Forest, privately owned and of course FW, and have never had anything stolen from our campsite, either inside the tent or out, even though we take many day trips and leave the campsite unattended for hours on end.
Well, I take that back, I have had raccoons and bears steal food on several occasions. Still I don't leave money or valuables (jewelry etc.) in camp. And I always lock our bicycles with a cable lock.

I would be very surprised if you were to have any gear taken. Most every camper I have ever met respects the privacy of other camper's sites. I sure there are exceptions, but they would be few and far between.