PDA

View Full Version : AAA- is it worth it?

jwildflower1981
02-04-2009, 10:25 PM
I am currently planing out Nov/Dec trip (:mickey: YEPPIE :mickey:)I keep hearing that AAA gets you so many discounts and has so many perks. My question is is it worth buying AAA membership for just my Disney vacations? What kind of perks and discounts do you get? I looked on their website but didn't see to mych info on this.

Thanks!!!!

Madame Leona
02-04-2009, 10:42 PM
I don't think it's worth it. I have booked 3 trips using Magical Journeys and each time I've had AAA price a trip for me and they have always been at least a couple hundred dollars more than MJ.

JPL
02-04-2009, 10:46 PM
I think the best thing to do is price it out before you actually purchase the membership. Depending of different offers the basic membership with AAA might save you more than the cost of the membership. I belive in the old saying "do the math" before making a decision or spending money.

joonyer
02-05-2009, 12:29 PM
The discount on one stay at Disney using a AAA membership will more than pay for the annual membership fee for AAA. In that sense of course it's worth it, especially when you consider that you can also use the AAA discount at hundreds of other hotels, restaurants and other places.

You may be able to get a bigger discount using some other program, but you will always be able to recoup the cost of your AAA membership if you use it a couple of times a year. And sometimes, there is no other discount available. We used ours at FW last year, and although we only save a few dollars per night, it was enough to offset the annual membership fee.

AAA membership is a pretty good deal, and that doesn't even take into account that the towing or emergency services they provide. That's peace of mind for me when my wife is driving somewhere alone or with the kids.

#1donaldfan
02-05-2009, 12:45 PM
...we use AAA and they discount room only, not tickets.....but it does save us some....you also get 10% off shopping at the world of Disney store at DtD, and percentages off at select eateries at Disney, as well as en route to FL.....I'm sure there are more "perks" to utilize in the real world, however like you, we tend to only use AAA when travelling to the "world"...

as for using MJ, they are wonderful too, but our AAA agent is very knowledgeable with anything Disney, plus what made us "switch" was AAA gave us a better rate one time...:mickey:

momofdisneyprincess
02-05-2009, 03:57 PM
I love AAA as well as MJ. I did find MJ had better prices for vacations. However, AAA has so many other discounts other than Disney. If you go to the membership benefits section it should list them out. For example, on a few local restaurants we get kids meals free. 10% discounts on other local restaurants and some stores too. Not to mention discounts to Sea World, Universal, Busch Gardens, movie tickets etc. They also have the AAA Diamond parking (no charge) which you use at Disney and have parking near the handicapped section in the parks. That was awesome. I actually have the AAA Plus membership and it more than pays for itself throughout the year but I utilize it to it's fullest. Hope this helps.

Altair
02-05-2009, 04:24 PM
...we use AAA and they discount room only, not tickets.....

AAA does, indeed, discount tickets, but MJ will not come out and change a tire or jump start your car.;)

wwebber
02-05-2009, 06:11 PM
AAA is a Preferred Partner with Disney. You can get AAA rates for the room and in addition to the savings, you do get things like the preferred parking vouchers, and something called a Diamond Card which gives discounts at different retailers and places all over Disney property for merchandise and things.

If you don't want or need a package, you can get discounts on the tickets alone. Also Universal, Busch Gardens and Sea World tickets are all discounted with AAA.

In addition to the Disney perks, you also get a year of AAA membership which comes with loads of retailer discounts, as well as emergency road service, etc. A membership costs anywhere from $45-$60 for the year for a basic membership (costs differ depending where you live) so I tend to think it's worth it. Only you need to buy it... not everyone in your party.

jwildflower1981
02-05-2009, 10:02 PM
Thank y'all so much for all the responses. I am going Friday to get my AAA! :number1:

Disney Doll
02-06-2009, 07:29 AM
We looked into AAA for our trip last year. We booked through MJ and booked the AAA rate even though we were not yet members. It was about a $150.00 savings on the room and I was going to buy the AAA membershio for $50.00 if nothing better came along. Of course a better package deal was released and so we booked that instead. I think the AAA savings is usually greater than the cost of membership so it can be worth it, but often better deals come along so you might wait and only buy the membership at the last minute.

CanadianWDWFan
02-06-2009, 08:26 AM
Another added bonus for us are the maps and triptiks. If you are planning a driving trip, AAA will map out for you the best route and supply the maps with highlighted routes drawn in on them. Also if you need a map for any reason you can pop into your AAA store and pick it up, no charge! Got to LOVE free maps!

#1donaldfan
02-06-2009, 01:50 PM
AAA does, indeed, discount tickets, but MJ will not come out and change a tire or jump start your car.;)

you are so right, I never knew that, as we always do the package deals and the disount is much bigger for room vs the tickets....I did call our agent and was told tickets indeed are discounted....who knew...I truly didn't know..I just always took their quote and wrote 'em a check......now I can stop misleading people...thanks....:thumbsup:

PETE FROM NYC
02-06-2009, 02:22 PM
I have been driving for almost 40 years.Been with AAA almost the whole time.I use the clubs for maps,tour info,trip tickets,travelers checks,and of course,for emergency service.Use that just once and it makes the yearly dues worth it.I've never booked any vacation with the club,so I can't say if its cheaper.But,I feel that anyone who owns a car should be a member.
For my future trip next September,we will be driving to WDW,so I will be checking out prices with AAA.Magical Journeys,and other places and will make up my mind who to do business with.

Tink1
02-06-2009, 05:09 PM
.... but MJ will not come out and change a tire or jump start your car.;)

Heck, that was why I had sons! That is their job. LOL

Just remember, the rate you start your vacation planning is just that- a start. T

he rate that matters is the one on final payment due date.

Make sure you get all future discounts applied to reservations, some agencies do not do this automatically as it cuts into their bottom line.

Nanc