PDA

View Full Version : Swan/Dolphin

ginny57
02-03-2009, 07:55 PM
I am trying to decide where I want to stay on my Oct '09 trip. I really want to be close to EPCOT. I know Boardwalk, BC & YC are close but I am also looking at Swan/Dolphin.

I would LOVE some feedback. What are the up/down sides to Swan/Dolphin? If you've stayed there,would you recommend it?

Help me decide!!

Mousemates
02-03-2009, 08:43 PM
We really liked the swan...great prices (in comparison to the surrounding WDW owned deluxe resorts) great location(esepcially nice to walk over to the boardwalk), great transportation (to both DS and Epcot), tremendous beds, and very nice rooms...the only drawback to the swan from our perspective is the lack of disney based theming in the rooms and the absence of some of disney perks (charging park expenditures to your room key and the inability to have park merchandise sent directly to your resort.)

We prefer the swan to the dolphin because of the queen beds. We def would go back and would highly recommend it, especially if you are getting a good rate.

Pop Centurion
02-03-2009, 09:06 PM
My very first trip to WDW we stayed at the Dolphin and loved it. The only reason we stay in Values now is because we don't spend enough time at the room to justify the price.

If you can get and afford a balcony view of Epcot, do it. On those lazy nights when you go to the room early there's nothing like kicking back, enjoying a drink and watching Illuminations from the balcony. Also I enjoyed waking up early and watching the sun rise over Epcot (depending on the time of year)
You can't beat the convenience of being a short walk from two parks and the Boardwalk. Plus you have a fair amount of dining choices right in the resort as well as a lounge for drinking. I remember when we went the bartender was experimenting with new drinks and since it was pretty empty, we became the guinea pigs. :D
It's a real beautiful resort. The architecture and fountains are amazing.
If money's not an issue I say definitely go. You'll enjoy it.

jcvalenti
02-03-2009, 09:19 PM
I stayed at the Dolphin over Food & Wine last October. It was fine. We got a much better rate than we would have at Beach Club or Boardwalk, and since we spend very little time in our rooms, that was fine. Contrary to the post above, we did have several packages delivered to our resort from the parks - I'm not sure what they are talking about.

As for charging to the room, I never really understood that - is it really so hard to just use a credit card ? Wasn't a problem for us.

My only complaint was that they had just steam cleaned our carpet and the floor stayed damp for 5 days ... I should have asked for another room ... but it wasn't that bad. The room was clean and nicely appointed, and the hotel was a quick walk to Boardwalk, Epcot or Hollywood Studios. I would stay there again without hesitation.

Oh - one thing, though. I believe overnight parking at Disney resorts is free for guests. Not so at Swan / Dolphin. It is an extra fee - something like $11 per day. I wasn't aware of this and considered the add-on a little cheap on their part.

DizneyRox
02-04-2009, 05:02 AM
I was going to mention the resort fee. Many people don't like it.

Also, NO Magical Express for guests of the Swan/Dolphin, so you need to arrange for other transportation to/from the resort if you're flying in.

hardingella
02-04-2009, 06:30 AM
Am i right in thinking you cant use DDP if staying at Swan or Dolphin?, as we too are split between here and B&YC. Does Swan Dolphin have busses that go to all the parks?.

DizneyRox
02-04-2009, 09:33 AM
As far as I understand, no on the DDP... But it's not really a good value for many anyway.

anneb
02-05-2009, 12:58 PM
The Swan or Dolphin would be a great choice - I've been staying there (mostly at the Dolphin, but occassionally at the Swan) for many, many years, and this is by far my favorite place to stay at Disney. The grounds are beautiful, and the pools are the best at Disney (at least for adults). The pool and beach area is lovely, with great views across the lake and palm trees to Epcot. The main pool is so huge that it's rarely crowded, and there's plenty of room for adults to actually swim - unlike at most Disney-run resorts, where the pools are packed with kids. Many of the rooms have fabulous views - Epcot view rooms are superb, especially for watching the Illuminations fireworks. The ability to walk to Epcot and enter/exit Epcot through the World Showcase entrance is a huge plus, especially in October, during the F&W Festival. Food choices at the hotel are good, too.
It's true that you can't get the Dining Plan, can't charge to your room, and can't use Magical Express, but you are on Disney's bus/boat system, can have packages delivered to your room from the parks, and the Dolphin has a Disney Guest Services Desk for buying tickets, getting park maps, etc. All at a lot less than the Y&B Club or Boardwalk.
Definitely go for it!

anneb
02-05-2009, 01:35 PM
I meant to say you can't charge things in the parks or other resorts to your room on your room key. However, if you are staying at the Swan, you can charge anything you purchase (meals, etc.) at the Dolphin to your room (and vice versa).

Mousemates
02-05-2009, 02:05 PM
Contrary to the post above, we did have several packages delivered to our resort from the parks - I'm not sure what they are talking about.

wow, I guess we were operating on bad information when we were there...sure wish i had known better because carrying around that Winnie the Pooh coffee mug all day was a real hassle. thanks for the correction.

big blue and hairy
02-05-2009, 03:01 PM
wow, I guess we were operating on bad information when we were there...sure wish i had known better because carrying around that Winnie the Pooh coffee mug all day was a real hassle. thanks for the correction.
Yes, if you look at the green forms to have things sent to your resort, Swan & Dolphin are both on there.

The only things you can't get are the dining plan and Magical Express. With all the discounts available at the Swalphin, it's really hard for DW and I to convince ourselves to stay at Y&B or BC. It's the same area, a very nice resort, and so much less expensive...

:sulley:

pamickeys
02-05-2009, 04:56 PM
we've stayed at YC and Dolphin, Dolphin during F&W fest and the hotel wasn't that full so we got a room in the middle of the hotel with a park view. it was fantastic, Dolphin is on our list to repeat. not one bad thing to say about it, we did have to pay for a Mears transfer, but the rate was worth it

ginny57
02-05-2009, 06:51 PM
WOW...thank you all SO much. I will have a car so Magical Express is not an issue and I never use my room key to charge anyway. As for DDP, I have done that in the past but wasn't planning for this trip....usually eat at F&W anyway.

Only thing I have found that disappoints me is that I can't book thru Magical Journeys. :(

Now I just need to get a final commitment from the family/friends who 'might' join me and I think I'm good to go!!:mickey:

Jeff
02-05-2009, 07:11 PM
WOW

Only thing I have found that disappoints me is that I can't book thru Magical Journeys. :(

:

This must be a change because MJ booked us at the Swan a couple years back.

By the way, next to the Poly the Swan is our favorite resort. We have stayed there many times.

ginny57
02-05-2009, 08:36 PM
It does seem to be recent....just got an email this week that MJ is no longer booking Swan/Dolphin

"DoYouHaveYourParkPass?"
02-05-2009, 11:34 PM
:mickey: Our family has stayed at the Swan many times and we do like the resort. Nice to walk to Epcot and DHS's. Nice pools and good restaurants right at the hotel. I know that some people really miss the little "Disney" extras - soap etc., but if that does not bother you then this is a good choice.
My one disappointment with both the Swan and Dolphin is the laundry area. One small laundry room serves both resorts and is located in the Dolphin. I have seen more nasty arguments over washers and dryers in the Dolphin laundry room then I care to remember.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
02-06-2009, 09:10 PM
I'm a big fan of these resorts and would recommend them any time. The beds are the most comfortable I've ever slept in.
You can use the facilities in both resorts and charge back & forth between the two of them also. They have their own refillable mugs too. You can use the Disney transportation to get around.