PDA

View Full Version : Freebies?

disneycutie165
02-03-2009, 07:37 PM
When we went to WDW last August, i collected sooo much random stuff at WL. I know you are allowed to take the shampoos and conditioners and soaps, but what about the little washclothes folded into different figures? I had always heard you could, my mom and DBF said I could but can you really. Because, um, hehe, I actually took a little one that was folded into a bunny. Please don't arrest me if you can't, but can you actually do that? I had always heard it was OK!:secret:

Veezy
02-03-2009, 07:58 PM
I have been told by several different "mousekeepers" that you can take them........we do have a snowman we put out every Christmas from our Christmas WL stay.

But then there are some people who will say you should never take any of it.........I think you'll have to follow your own thoughts on that one, for me, since I was told to take it, I took it.

BTW, there is an organization that takes those little soaps and shampoos and sends them to kids checking in at hospitals.......info below:
Mickey SOS (Soap or Shampoo) for Children Project, spearheaded by Dotti Saroufim.

Now they take the bags to many of Children's Hospital floors, and also to the Dana Farber Cancer Institute's Jimmy Fund where the children go for their outpatient chemotherapy treatments. The doctors keep the bags in their desks and use them as distractions during treatment.

"If you can donate even one bar of soap or one bottle of shampoo, it would be appreciated! If 50 people donated only one bar of soap each", Dotti says she could put together 25 additional gift bags for the children. Since she tries to make the bags as equal as possible in content, she can use all of the Mickey toiletries (soap, shampoo, body lotion, shower caps, etc.), but has also made up "teenage girl bags" with the beautiful green and pink toiletries from the Grand Floridian Resort.

Dotti will also accept more than just Walt Disney World items. If you just had a birthday party for a child and have leftover goodies, they'd be happy to take those off your hands! They can use small notebooks and colorful pens or pencils, festive plastic cups (especially with covers and straws), blow up plastic balls, or anything else that would help a child pass the many long days in the hospital room. They have also found that the children really like things that can be hung, like ornaments, key chains, or small beanbag toys. They hang them from the IV poles as decoration. Small containers of Play-Doh are always a hit (and great for squeezing when the children are having blood drawn!), as are bottles of bubbles. Disney items keep the bags looking more "themed" but anything would be appreciated. Mickey stickers, Disney markers, crayons and pencils, small size Disney books, character pins and buttons....any and all of these can be added to the bags and make a wonderful treat for the kids!

Unfortunately the project can't accept candy or other food items, due to the children's dietary restrictions. Also, balloons are a choking hazard and won't be accepted either, nor will any type of used toys because of the lowered immune system of most of these children and the chance of infection.

Is there anything else you can do to support these efforts? Want to do more than just contribute soap?

Dotti doesn't actively solicit monetary contributions, but says she does occasionally receive checks. "For the past few years, through the generous checks of one donor, we've been able to buy plush Disney Christmas stockings, fill them with toiletries and goodies, and the nurses have hung them on the children's doors on Christmas Eve," Dotti says.

"I can't thank everyone enough for helping with this project," Dotti says. "I only wish that they could see the expressions on the children's faces when they see these beautiful bags. I truly believe that, along with every bar of soap and bottle of shampoo, comes a thought or a prayer for those children and that those thoughts and prayers are working some kind of magic, a special kind of Disney magic. Thank you all so very much!"

Dotti accepts contributions to the Mickey SOS for Children Project through a post office box also used by the soccer league her husband heads up. Send your soaps/donations:

c/o Dotti Saroufim
PO Box 230017
W. Roxbury, MA 02132-0001

brian2000boston
02-03-2009, 09:15 PM
Thats a really nice program, next time we go we will snag ours and even ask the housekeeper for some extras.

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
02-04-2009, 08:09 AM
Our local women's shelters take the hotel sized soaps and shampoos. They can't take the full sized products because the women aren't their long and each woman needs her own products.
Its another way to help out a local organization.

crltkcagle
02-04-2009, 09:25 AM
What a teriffic program thank for sharing that info!