PDA

View Full Version : Superbowl Halftime Show

indytraveler
02-03-2009, 04:27 PM
I'm surprised this was a separate thread until now...

Who liked. Who hated. Other comments...

I thought Born in the U.S.A. should have been played. Otherwise a good show.

kakn7294
02-03-2009, 04:39 PM
I have never been a fan of Springsteen so I would have to say that I didn't like it. I just don't think the man has any talent. I can sing like that and I don't think I can sing worth a darn. Now Jennifer Hudson's National Anthem - that was great! She came out and sang the song without all the hoopla and jazzing up that so many try to do. It's not a song meant for all that. I can leave Faith Hill too - she did an okay job but I don't like her either.

disneymom15
02-03-2009, 04:53 PM
I don't care for him either, so I guess I'd say I didn't like it .

missymouseworld
02-03-2009, 04:59 PM
Jersey girl thought Bruce was great, better than other years half-time shows. Remember Prince, and Janet Jackson, and Aerosmith, UGH! Then again, I am also a hometown fan of Bon Jovi, must be the JERSEY thing.:number1:

NotaGeek
02-03-2009, 05:04 PM
Bruce Springsteen? Really? The performance wasn't amazing, and his voice is REALLY rough. I did like the impact with the camera man though. Hysterical.

DakotaDisney
02-03-2009, 05:45 PM
I was also surprised that he didn't sing "Born in the USA".

I am not a big Springsteen fan, but he can put on a good show. So they say, I have never been.

I prefer when they have a mix of performers, especially ones who are an unsual mix or whom haven't performed together before. Like when they had Areosmith, N'Sync, B. Spears, Mary J. Blige and a couple others. I am not big fans of anyone of them, but it was interesting to see them together and they did a good job.

The last 3-4 years has been a concert of one performer and if you are not a fan of that performer then the half-time show is not for you.

I also agree that Jennifer Hudson did a great job on the national anthem.

Chipfan
02-03-2009, 05:56 PM
Loved Springsteen thought it was an amazing performance best one in a few years actually in my opinion. Missed Jennifer Hudson's performance since I was on my way home from work but did see after the fact that she lip synched it. Yeah it might have been a great performance on her part but not right then and there.

Melanie
02-03-2009, 06:01 PM
Didn't like it, but didn't expect to. Not a fan. The pyrotechnics were the best part to me.

You know, I've found on these boards that the majority of folks who like Bruce tend to be from the Jersey area (PA, NY). Just an observation. ;)

PirateLover
02-03-2009, 06:14 PM
I have never been a fan of Springsteen so I would have to say that I didn't like it. I just don't think the man has any talent. I can sing like that and I don't think I can sing worth a darn.
Hmm...maybe you just don't "get" what people love about Bruce. Do the number of records he's sold, the number of venues he's sold out, and his ability to continue to do so across 4 decades speak for anything. No, he doesn't have the greatest vocal range, but his songwriting skill and the passion he has when he sings those songs that he wrote himself are why his fans love him. Now that style of music might not be yours or some others on this board's cup of tea, but I think it is unfair to say the man has "no talent."

I am a big Springsteen fan, and I have a brother who is a rabid fan. I think that the half time show was pretty good, but not perfect. That being said Bruce is 60!!!! Keeping that in consideration, and looking at the way he still runs around the stage, I can deal with non-record quality vocals.

I don't know this for sure but I would guess that he didn't play "Born in the U.S.A." because he isn't keen on the fact that it is often misunderstood to be a sort of "Yea, America!" anthem when it's really a song about the mistreatment of Vietnam vets.

I know he had to play a new song to promote the album, but I think he could've done "Promised Land" or "Dancing in the Dark" instead of 10th Avenue Freezeout for the wider audience.

As far as the half time shows in general, I personally thought the "variety" shows were a mess. I prefer the one performer... but maybe that's because I've been big fans of most of them (Paul McCartney, Tom Petty...not so much Prince but I think he's a cool guy).

PirateLover
02-03-2009, 06:21 PM
Someone just e-mailed this to me. Very funny.

An American icon to millions of fans around the globe, the appeal of Bruce Springsteen's music remains elusive to many non-fans. Whether you're the girlfriend trying to understand a boyfriend's infatuation with a fist-pumping, adrenaline-and-sweat-soaked rocker who was Born in the USA, or a husband who doesn't get his wife's preoccupation with a guy who was Born to Run, or maybe even a parent who can't fathom her young teen being in love with the songs of a guy who is eligible for retirement benefits, here is your nutshell guide to why Bruce Springsteen is the Boss of you.

Step 1
Become a working class hero who is struggling just above or below the poverty line, a middle-class wage-earner who feels [jilted] by the current state of the economy, or a rich dude who likes to exercise, drink green-tea and hob-nob with famous rock stars from a working-class background.

Step 2
If you appreciate the concept of the American Dream, then it is very easy to also appreciate the songs of Bruce Springsteen. He comes from a blue collar background, both parents constantly struggling to make ends meet and raise a family. Springsteen was a failure in school, so he learned how to play the cheap, Japanese-made guitar his mother bought for him one Christmas, even though the family budget couldn't afford it. Despite the initial and continual protestations of his father, Bruce Springsteen grew up to became rich and famous playing guitar and singing songs (usually about his rocky relationship with his father, who eventually said "That's the last time I tell anybody what to do").

Step 3
Understand Freudian and Jungian psychology. Okay, so folk-rock may not be your thing, but if you actually read some of Springsteen's lyrics, and if you're at all concerned about the dynamics between parent-and-child, you're in for a treat. Here you will find constant reminders that fathers hinder and mothers enable, along with all the attendant odd imagery and rhyming couplets.

Step 4
Finally, now it is time to see what all this means to you. Do you a) have a mother and a father, b) have a job and/or c) have a dream that takes you far, far away from all of the above only to bring you back to what truly matters one day? If you answered yes to all of the above, you are a Bruce Springsteen fan and you probably don't know it yet. If you answered no to any question you are a green-skinned Martian and will probably never understand the Boss.

Dopey's Girl
02-03-2009, 06:38 PM
Loved the Boss. I wish I had that kind of energy and I'm not nearly as old as he is!!!

HATED :thedolls::thedolls::thedolls: Jennifer Hudson's National Anthem. I think she is talented, but I hate when singers try to make the anthem fancy. There are plenty of other songs to do that with, I just think that the Anthem needs to be sung as written.

kakn7294
02-04-2009, 09:17 AM
Hmm...maybe you just don't "get" what people love about Bruce. Do the number of records he's sold, the number of venues he's sold out, and his ability to continue to do so across 4 decades speak for anything. No, he doesn't have the greatest vocal range, but his songwriting skill and the passion he has when he sings those songs that he wrote himself are why his fans love him. Now that style of music might not be yours or some others on this board's cup of tea, but I think it is unfair to say the man has "no talent."You have your opinion and I have mine. Obviously you like him and obviously I don't. But thanks for pointing out why I should! I'll run right out and buy all his albums now so maybe I can "get" him.

diz_girl
02-04-2009, 09:35 AM
I've heard that Bruce puts on a great show, but I've only ever seen him live when he showed up at a John Fogerty concert, as Springsteen frequently shows up at concerts in my area. A PP mentioned how his voice isn't that great, well when you hear him next to Fogerty, you become acutely aware of the inferiority of Springsteen's singing voice.

Springsteen's lyrics seem to capture working-class angst, which wins him legions of fans. I live in Springsteen Country (maybe 10-15 minutes away from him) and there are tons of rabid fans here. But there are others, like my DH (who is a big fan of the Stones, the Who, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, etc.) who could take or leave Springsteen.

alphamommy
02-04-2009, 09:47 AM
I can't claim to be a huge Springsteen fan, but I thought the show was okay. I agree with a PP who said that the crash into the camera was hilarious.

I thought he sounded very out of breath through the whole thing. I understand his age and such, but I was afraid he was going to collapse part way through.

A local DJ here had a field day with Bruce's difficulty in climbing up on the piano.

Jeff G
02-04-2009, 10:23 AM
Now Jennifer Hudson's National Anthem - that was great! She came out and sang the song without all the hoopla and jazzing up that so many try to do. It's not a song meant for all that.

I thought Jennifer Hudson did well but I was disappointed when I found out she lip synched.

As for the half time show, our group didn't care for it and lost interest. Out of the four songs played I only recognized two (as with many at our party), I would have thought they would have played his better known songs throughout. Plus it was way to cheesy, the whole ref throwing the flag was lame.

I love almost all types of music but Springsteen is one musician I can't stomach so I had very little interest heading into it.

MNNHFLTX
02-04-2009, 01:04 PM
I like Bruce Springsteen and thought he was in decent voice for the show (and yeah, he sure had a lot of energy--more than me, and I'm younger than him!) And I would certainly watch him any day over Justin Timberlake, Janet Jackson, Kid Rock, Brittany Spears, etc.

My guess as to why he didn't sing "Born in the USA" is that the theme was more political than would have been appropriate for a 12-minute halftime show at the Super Bowl.

Davyjones
02-04-2009, 02:10 PM
Didn't watch any of the Super Bowl. Spent the whole time watching Puppy Bowl 5 on Animal Planet! Now THERE'S something worth watching!!!!! Seriously, I did.

:puppy: :dog:

PirateLover
02-04-2009, 03:44 PM
You have your opinion and I have mine. Obviously you like him and obviously I don't. But thanks for pointing out why I should! I'll run right out and buy all his albums now so maybe I can "get" him.

Good for you! Glad you're on the team. But in all seriousness, my intention was not to lecture you on why you should like him. I was only pointing out that I think it was over the top to say he has no talent simply because you don't think he can sing. He is much more than a "singer."
I think Bob Dylan's voice is pretty bad, especially live, but I would never say he has "no talent" because he is a great song writer and many people love him. That's all I was getting at.

kakn7294
02-04-2009, 04:07 PM
Good for you! Glad you're on the team. But in all seriousness, my intention was not to lecture you on why you should like him. I was only pointing out that I think it was over the top to say he has no talent simply because you don't think he can sing. He is much more than a "singer."
I think Bob Dylan's voice is pretty bad, especially live, but I would never say he has "no talent" because he is a great song writer and many people love him. That's all I was getting at.Well, it's all because of you! Thanks again for pointing out the error of my ways! ;)

And just so you know, we're in agreement about Dylan - I don't like him either!

DisneyDog
02-04-2009, 04:51 PM
Not a Springsteen fan. Didn't watch the show. I did tune in to see Jennifer Hudson. Don't be disappointed that she lip-synched. Apparently, they all do it. Faith Hill did it too. They recorded the songs the day before. The Super Bowl performances have to be perfectly timed, and there is no room for messing up. They always pre-record the performances for the sake of perfection. It wasn't Jennifer's fault that she had to lip-synch. She was amazing. I was just so happy that she held it together after everything she's been through recently. Imagine if your entire family was murdered and you had to appear at the Super Bowl to sing as your first public appearance? Wouldn't you want to make sure everything went right?

Melanie
02-04-2009, 05:12 PM
Imagine if your entire family was murdered and you had to appear at the Super Bowl to sing as your first public appearance? Wouldn't you want to make sure everything went right?

Just wanted to point out that she didn't have to appear. Her choice.

And yes, I'm always disappointed to hear that something is lip-synched.

NotaGeek
02-04-2009, 05:44 PM
I don't think anyone has performed the National Anthem live at the Super Bowl for a long time and I really could care less as most are performances "recorded" live. :)

I think JHud sounded awesome and she did add some flavor to the Anthem while still being respectful to the song.

I think that most mega stars wouldn't take the chance to flub the National Anthem ... as it's historically one of the most difficult songs to perform live AND can you imagine if they did mess up? The HORROR!

DisneyDog
02-05-2009, 09:50 AM
Yeah, otherwise we end up with a bunch of Rosanne's singing the anthem. Definitely HORROR.:blush:

TinkerbellT421
02-05-2009, 09:53 AM
Yeah, otherwise we end up with a bunch of Rosanne's singing the anthem. Definitely HORROR.:blush:

Or Ozzy Osbourne version :thedolls:

indytraveler
02-06-2009, 03:07 PM
It's been several years since I heard Born in the USA so I forgot what it was about. Thanks for reminding me.
I understand why the NFL and the network covering the game have played it safe the last few years... thanks Janet and Ashlie Simpson. So we are going to get the middle aged rockers who were good 20 years ago to play it safe. It's still better than flipping the channel and watch something else.