PDA

View Full Version : air matress options

readytogo2
02-02-2009, 10:07 AM
DD15, DW, and i have trip planned mar 8-16, staying at POP. we are planning on using an air matress for one of us. what would be the best and cheapest way to get it there? send itone way send both ways or packit? were flying airtran so we are paying for baggage(silliest tjing ive heard of)

crazypoohbear
02-02-2009, 11:10 AM
we always packed it in luggage but that was before the charges took effect.
Call UPS, FEDEX etc and ask what the price would be and compare it with what the airline would charge.

watch4pixiedust
02-02-2009, 11:12 AM
Could you weigh the air mattress and check the shipping cost for that weight with UPS on-line? (or whichever carrier you prefer) Then "weigh" that cost vs the extra bag charge with AirTran? If the mattress' weight per size would allow, maybe you could pack it in a separate bag (with some extra space) going, then pack your souveniers with it for your return. shop: ;) If it wouldn't put you over on the weight allowance and cost you even more!

Coccinelle
02-02-2009, 11:58 AM
Depends on the size and weight of your matress...and where you live! We are in Quebec city and we will be flying to Orlando with the camping equipment...and it is less expensive to have it on the plane that it is to sent it by mail or fed ex. The tent will be in a bag, then we have 2 luggage for the rest of the equipment : 5 sleeping bags, 5 matress and all the rest of it, plus one for food.. and memorabilia when we fly back home! Our cloths will be in our carry-on luggage. Our mattress are very compact, the type that inflate all by it self when you open it, about 4-5 pound each. Maybe an other option is to buy a very cheap one in Orlando?

Pirate Granny
02-02-2009, 12:07 PM
Curious why you would need an air mattress when there are only three of you going...but...that's not my business...have you considered getting a cot for DD...they are free and all you need is to make a request to mousekeeping...
:pirate:

readytogo2
02-02-2009, 01:59 PM
free cots ? tell me more

DizNee143
02-02-2009, 02:56 PM
you just request a cot...
or better yet..just ask for a room with two beds... ::poof:: problem solved!! :mickey:

readytogo2
02-02-2009, 03:11 PM
you just request a cot...
or better yet..just ask for a room with two beds... ::poof:: problem solved!! :mickey:

our room does have two beds... :poof problem not solved: we are just looking for more sleeping room at pop. by the way, a moderate or deluxe resort not an option

DizNee143
02-02-2009, 03:17 PM
our room does have two beds... :poof problem not solved: we are just looking for more sleeping room at pop. by the way, a moderate or deluxe resort not an option

WOW..ok then...jeez!

then just ask/request a cot..

or just tough it out for the few days your on vacation and snuggle a bit more with the wifey..:mickey:

Goofy4TheWorld
02-02-2009, 03:48 PM
I thought I read on Intercot that cots were not available at the Values, but I hope I am wrong. If they are available, that is a great option. I am sure someone here will confirm their availability.

I fully understand why you would be looking for a third bed for 3 people. My wife and I just couldn't go back to both of us sleeping on a full size bed again. We did it for 2 weeks when we first got married, and it was awful.

blondeinbrandon
02-03-2009, 09:16 AM
Have you stayed at POP? Where in the world would you put a cot/matress? I would think you could barely fit a crib for a baby. There is no floor space at POP at all.
Good Luck!

chick20679
02-11-2009, 01:41 PM
Have you stayed at POP? Where in the world would you put a cot/matress? I would think you could barely fit a crib for a baby. There is no floor space at POP at all.
Good Luck!

I agree!
I can't imagine where one would put a mattress.

I wouldn't sacrifice the floor space to easily (that's a term used lightly) manuver around the room by putting a mattress in there.
But that's just my opinion.

Checking a second bag on AirTran will cost you less than if your bag is overweight, so keep that in mind.

Good luck with whatever you decide. :thumbsup:

readytogo2
02-11-2009, 02:41 PM
we were just trying to be as comfortable as possiblewe have king bed at home and that is to small at times. we are not big people just like our space and thought this might be an option

Daisy712
02-11-2009, 09:28 PM
We have taken an air mattress every time we have stayed at Pop. We have a twin air mattress that fits on the floor by the door area. That is where my son sleeps. When we are gone during the day, we don't deflate it but simply stand it on its side by the bed nearest the bathroom and the wall. Disney has given us extra sheets and blankets to use with it when we arrive. We just call housekeeping. I am not sure how I can help you with getting it down to Disney. We have always flown Southwest and just put it in an extra suitcase. They don't charge for extra luggage. Good luck.

crazypoohbear
02-12-2009, 07:49 AM
I think you can request a cot but if they are available they are not free, $15.00 per night.
We have used air mattresses at every hotel, they fit, no worries.
at pop we had one by the front door, you might have to move the table over a few inches but it fits fine, we also put one at the foot of the bed near the bathrooms (2 teen boys)
We have one by aerobed that comes in a back pack, could you child use that as a carry on and you could put all their "stuff" in your carry on?
We also leave it inflated, and stand it up against the wall.
Also, I bring my own twin size fitted sheet for the bed, makes it more homey. Then we just request extra pillows and blankets.

readytogo2
02-12-2009, 07:42 PM
we thought there might be room for a twin size. thanks.:mickey:

thrillme
02-13-2009, 10:01 AM
I've ALWAYS stayed in the Values except for this last time. I think there's plenty of room for an air mattress. Alas...I really don't need a lot of space.

I can see putting a twin sized air mattress in between the two beds. It'll be wedged kinda tight but I really think it will work (put it there deflated and blow it up there...it should inflate well enough for a person). They also have a table and chair set. You should be able to arrange this to move around closer to the wall or window to fit things in (you might even request that mousekeeping remove it all together).

There's room by the door too (there should be no reason to be going in and out of the room at night...yes yes..perhaps an issue if there's a fire but generally you'd be waking that person to get up and out of the way ANYWAY). You can even put it by the foot of one of the beds.

I REALLY think there's enough room for a twin sized air mattress without too much issue...just a matter of perhaps at the worse...scooching things around. During the day...you can stand the mattress up on it's end or deflate it totally so it's out of the way. I think a lot of people are looking at the air mattress of put it someplace and leave it there. I lean toward putting it someplace for the night and put it "up" during the day.

Personally I think DOUBLE beds are stupid anywhere. There's really plenty of room for two bigger beds at the Values AND an air mattress...I really don't understand how much room a person needs in a HOTEL room. It's just a place to shower and sleep.

If you take the airbed out of the box you should be able to fit it between clothing in your suitcase the air pump too. Ask housekeeping for extra blankets, sheets and a pillow. They should give that to you free. If you decide to carry the full thing then might be cheaper to pay to fly with the air mattress than to rent a cot. If you're getting a car then you could also consider going to walmart on the way to the hotel. Mailing it to the hotel and back costs money too.

Not at Disney...but in the past I've gone down to the coast with a group of friends. We fit 9-10 people in a SMALL "Days Inn" room. The two married couples got the beds and the rest of us took to sleeping bags. It was only for a night and we were ALL adults 30+...we had a BLAST...I could DEFINATELY manipulate a single air mattress in a Value room. Even two if need be.

I WAAAYYYYY totally understand where you're coming from. It will be a "challenge" for my DH and I to sleep on a double bed when we're used to a king (there just ain't enough covers to steal). My DS is too old to be sleeping with one of us so getting him a blowup would be the thing. I REALLY think there's plenty of room for a blowup you'll just probably need to move it during the day.

Disneymom4ever
02-13-2009, 10:29 AM
Just wanted to add we've stayed at the All Stars (both Movies and Sports), which I'm sure the rooms are similar in size to Pop. I have 2 teenage boys, and we fit 2 Queen size air mattresses in the room! One by the table (just moved it over a little), and one by the bathroom (was a little squished, but it worked fine). So yes, you'd be fine! :thumbsup:

Tink#64
02-15-2009, 11:41 PM
Can't help with the cost of getting it there, but others have had the same idea as me of taking it to your local shipping store & find out for sure so you can compare. I've read a lot of posts on here about people taking air mattresses and having no problems. We've stayed at Pop for our last 4 visits and I think you have a couple of options where you could put it in the room & then just prop it up in the morning to get it out of your way, like along the wall between the beds and the closet area! I have 11 & 13 yr old DS's and I'm sure this is what we're going to be doing in a few years, when they no longer want to share a bed! Gosh, when DH is snoring like crazy, I can't sleep with him at all, I might start packing one for me!

You should be fine! :thumbsup: As far as cots? I've never heard of one in the values, a crib yes, but not a cot, but I could for sure be wrong. Call and find out just so you know if this is an option. It never hurts to ask!

readytogo2
03-23-2009, 01:15 PM
just got back from POP and air mattress worked out great. we moved table over a little and put mattress by tv- dresser. mousekeeping brought up extra sheets and pillows, the every morning we picked everything up and put mattress between second bed and wall