PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger, Holmes going to Disney World

Melanie
02-02-2009, 02:41 AM
From ESPN.com

Roethlisberger, Holmes going to Disney World

TAMPA, Fla. -- Santonio Holmes got the automatic invitation and Ben Roethlisberger got an at-large bid.

The Pittsburgh wide receiver and quarterback will be part of a parade at Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom late Monday morning, a Disney spokesperson said.

Holmes will continue the tradition of Super Bowl Most Valuable Players going to Disney World or Disneyland right after the game. But he'll have company. The Disney spokesman said an invitation also was extended to Roethlisberger and the quarterback accepted.

The exact time of the parade is subject to when Roethlisberger and Holmes arrive after the 90-minute drive from Tampa to the Orlando area. But the spokesman said the parade will start sometime around 11 a.m.

Melanie
02-02-2009, 03:07 AM
Disney Press Release:

How Are Santonio Holmes and Ben Roethlisberger Celebrating Their Super Bowl Heroics? They're Going to Disney World Monday (Feb. 2) for Victory Parade

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. – So how are Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Santonio Holmes and quarterback Ben Roethlisberger celebrating their heroic play in Super Bowl XLIII? In the frenzied moments just after their team claimed the National Football League championship Sunday night in Tampa in dramatic fashion, they stood in front of a TV camera and shouted five words that have become an almost iconic reaction to milestone achievements: “I’m going to Disney World!”

Their pronouncement, part of the production for one of TV’s most enduring and celebrated commercials, was captured after the Steelers’ 27-23 victory over the Arizona Cardinals – a game during which Holmes earned the MVP honor, catching nine Roethlisberger passes for 131 yards, including a game-winning 6-yard TD reception with 35 seconds left. Roethlisberger finished with 21 completions in 30 attempts for 256 yards. During Pittsburgh’s decisive 78-yard drive in the final 2:37, the pair connected four times for 73 yards as the Steelers earned an unprecedented sixth Super Bowl victory.

On Monday (Feb. 2), Holmes and Roethlisberger will go to the place where millions of vacationers celebrate their personal milestone moments. They will be joined in the Magic Kingdom by NFL Youth Football players from Jacksonville, Fla., who will participate with the Steeler stars in a Super Bowl celebration parade down Main Street, U.S.A.

This latest commercial is the milestone 40th of a series that began in 1987 following Super Bowl XXI. The first “ I'm going to Disney World” commercial, featuring New York Giants quarterback Phil Simms, was regarded as a groundbreaking concept – a produced national commercial involving a current event, airing on major networks within hours of its conclusion. Holmes and Roethlisberger join a lineup of people from sports and beyond who have celebrated milestone accomplishments in “I’m going to Disney World” commercials.

And this latest installment, airing just hours after the conclusion of the game, followed a similar script just ahead of Holmes’ and Roethlisberger’s visit.

yjgirl32
02-02-2009, 08:17 AM
Oh bummer I didn't hear him say that. That's pretty cool that they still do that. I wish I was there.

BMan62
02-02-2009, 08:34 AM
On a side note: Did you all hear Springsteen at the end of his halftime show: "I'm going to DisneyLAND"

DixieBelle
02-02-2009, 08:51 AM
On a side note: Did you all hear Springsteen at the end of his halftime show: "I'm going to DisneyLAND"

Loved It!! :thumbsup:

kakn7294
02-02-2009, 09:03 AM
I really wanted to be at WDW today to see them. I'm hoping the city celebration in Pittsburgh will be on Saturday so we can go.

mudpuppysmom
02-02-2009, 09:04 AM
When I heard Springsteen say he was going to DisneyLand I thought that was going to be it for the WDW thing this year.......and I didn't hear Santonio or Ben say they were going -- bummer we're not there to see them waving their way down Main St.!!!

Crow
02-02-2009, 03:13 PM
SIX burgh Steelers:number1:
I watched my boys win it last night & have to say it was a good game, even though I was nervous at the end.
BRuuuuuce put on a good show too

kakn7294
02-02-2009, 04:15 PM
Well, what a bum deal! Not only do I not get to see the boys in WDW, the victory celebration in Pgh is tomorrow - I'll be sleeping, DH will be at work, and DDs will be at school. :( I did get to see the "I'm Going To Disney World" commercial though - I LOVE those black 'n gold balloons!

dolphinmickey9170
02-02-2009, 04:44 PM
Well, what a bum deal! Not only do I not get to see the boys in WDW, the victory celebration in Pgh is tomorrow - I'll be sleeping, DH will be at work, and DDs will be at school. :( I did get to see the "I'm Going To Disney World" commercial though - I LOVE those black 'n gold balloons!

Awwww man, I missed the commercial.:( Kathy, leave Phil at work, the girls at school and go. Who needs sleep anyway?

Melanie
02-02-2009, 06:11 PM
Here are a few images from the parade this morning. There are no pictures of Ben on the Disney media site. Did he end up not attending???

JPL
02-02-2009, 07:12 PM
Did they bring the officials for their hard work?

princessgirls
02-02-2009, 08:06 PM
AWESOME!!!

Julie:mickey:

Ed
02-02-2009, 09:01 PM
Big Ben wimped out. He was a no-show at WDW today. :shrug:

There's a good reason why you didn't see Ben or Santonio uttering the famous phrase if you were still watching the channel the game was on; the game and post-game stuff was carried by NBC. With Disney owning ABC (and NBC owning rival Universal), the bit was only shown on ABC stations. Also explains the big Universal promo pieces during the game.

mudpuppysmom
02-02-2009, 09:48 PM
Here locally it was pretty widely advertised that Santonio went, but Ben did not.....he had to go to NYC to be on Letterman tonight, so that is where Ben is/will be.

I would have loved to have been at the parade today as a Steeler fan!!!

chrisb26
02-02-2009, 11:30 PM
I saw the parade today it was pretty neat but as was mentioned it was only the MVP Holmes that was in the parade.

kakn7294
02-03-2009, 08:34 AM
Awwww man, I missed the commercial.:( Kathy, leave Phil at work, the girls at school and go. Who needs sleep anyway?Not me! I'm going to get up and watch it on tv. If I didn't have to drive for an hour each way, I would get up and go.

kaylamag
02-03-2009, 12:44 PM
I caught the commercial last night on CBS during the Big Bang Theory!

Crow
02-03-2009, 02:05 PM
saw the pic today of Mickey imitating Holmes game winning TD catch....good stuff
The Terrible Towels come thru again!
Ill be wearing a Steelers shirt when Im at WDW in APril and Im sure as always Ill get good comments

Stich8818
02-03-2009, 03:59 PM
Did they bring the officials for their hard work?

I was thinking the same thing..

kakn7294
02-03-2009, 04:30 PM
Big Ben wimped out. He was a no-show at WDW today. :shrug:He wasn't exactly a no-show. He was on Letterman last night and according to the local news, WDW knew he wasn't going to be there when they made the commercial so he has a rain-check with WDW to do a parade there at a later date. I'm hoping for March 11 - 14 when I'll be there. Santanio also has an invite to come back and spend a full day at the parks since he only had a few hours there.

Melanie
02-03-2009, 05:09 PM
saw the pic today of Mickey imitating Holmes game winning TD catch....good stuff

For whatever reason, I couldn't get that one to download yesterday. Here it is!

PirateLover
02-03-2009, 06:35 PM
Is it me or do Mickey's football pants look a little high waisted? I mean, I know it's an old-timey uniform but he's looking Steve Urkell-ish in some of those shots ;)

q105birdman
02-04-2009, 12:22 AM
O.K....I'll try this again; after Santonio Holmes' Super Bowl Parade on a rainy February 2nd, it was announced that Ben Roethlisberger, who was also invited, would schedule his visit at a later date. Would anyone happen to know what that date might be? I found out about the Santonio parade that morning at City Hall about 9:30 am. Someone told me that it was announced in the local area right after the Super Bowl. So, if anyone has any information about Big Ben's parade, please let us know. Thanks!!!!