PDA

View Full Version : Family Suites v. 2 Rooms

KAT1811
02-01-2009, 03:21 PM
As I am in the very early stages of planning this year's trip and I was wondering about the Family Suites at the All Star Music vs. 2 separate rooms. Depending on what specials come out this year we would either go for the value resorts or the moderate resorts for the two room option. We will have four children on our next trip (12, 4, 2, & 7 months and everyone will be close to their next birthdays on our trip). What does everyone think about the two options we are considering? We are possibly using a friend's DVC points and staying at a larger resort but I am coming up with plan b just in case.

On our trip this past year we stayed at the All Star Movies, our first trip to a value in many years, and really enjoyed it. Plus you couldn't beat the price! We spend very little time in our room as most of our time is spent touring so . . . paying for ammenities we never use seems like throwing money away. The only thing we wished is that we had some extra space for our oldest and us to watch TV and read for a while after the little ones went to bed.

Thank you for any input and suggestions!

pixiesmimi
02-01-2009, 06:30 PM
I just priced the family suite vs POR and actually POR is cheaper and sleeps 5 instead of 4 like a regular room. But we have done two rooms before in ASMovies with 8 and it wasn't bad with two DGSs in our room and the two babies in DD's room. It was about $2000 for each room for a week. I can't remember if that was with a MYW package or without. When I priced the suite at ASMusic last week vs POR, it was about double the room at POR. I was wondering why there aren't family suites at ASMovies and Sports, which is where I would rather be and why would the moderate be cheaper than a value. POR is a moderate, isn't it?

dmallan
02-01-2009, 06:46 PM
why would the moderate be cheaper than a value. POR is a moderate, isn't it?

POR is cheaper because the family suite is basically two rooms.

We looked into the family suites last year but decided to get two connecting rooms instead. It worked out well for the 5 of us. We got a AAA discount on the room-only rate. It worked out to be $65.50 per night per room. At the time (don't know if it's different now) they did not discount the family suites.

jusandnew
02-01-2009, 07:08 PM
The suites has a microwave, coffee maker, and frig.
I liked the family suites because of the rooms were bigger and they have more accommadations .

KAT1811
02-01-2009, 07:09 PM
I just priced the family suite vs POR and actually POR is cheaper and sleeps 5 instead of 4 like a regular room.

There are 6 of us this year so we would need two rooms. I cannot imagine trying to stuff all of us into one room! LOL!

At the time (don't know if it's different now) they did not discount the family suites.

That is what I am afraid of. In that case we would certainly go with two rooms. That way we have plenty of normal size beds and we do not have to fold and unfold beds each night.

I hope they come out with some really great deals this fall. If they come out with something good we'll probably end up trying POR as we have never stayed there. DH is on a "try somewhere new each trip" kick! We'll see.

disneyers
02-01-2009, 07:14 PM
That's what I was going to say - there are 6 of you right? Now that we have established that POR is out of the question.....

I would say two rooms, only because (as you have stated) it would mean 4 full size beds. With 4 wiggly children - that might be a huge bonus! Either way you would have 2 bathrooms, as the suites do have 2 bathroooms.

But I have heard that the Family Suite does have three pull out beds. One full size couch and two single size chairs. Plus the king size bed in the bedroom. So that might work as well?

With 4 kids, one an infant, the mini kitchen might come in very handy.

Just my 2 cents - have fun on your trip!!!!

KAT1811
02-01-2009, 07:33 PM
That's what I was going to say - there are 6 of you right? Now that we have established that POR is out of the question.....

I would say two rooms, only because (as you have stated) it would mean 4 full size beds. With 4 wiggly children - that might be a huge bonus! Either way you would have 2 bathrooms, as the suites do have 2 bathroooms.

But I have heard that the Family Suite does have three pull out beds. One full size couch and two single size chairs. Plus the king size bed in the bedroom. So that might work as well?

Just my 2 cents - have fun on your trip!!!!

You sound like me. Now you know my dilemma!!! The only drawback I see to the suites is having to pull out the beds every night and wiggle the double stroller and other stuff around everything. I do like the idea of having the kitchenette and the king in the master. Then again the two rooms would allow us to come in one door, park the stroller there and then go in and out of the other door if we go to the food court, pool, or wherever without the stroller, no climbing around it and we would still have the two bathrooms. I am leaning more towards the two rooms if indeed they do not discount the suites. As of right now the suites cost more than one room at a moderate so I am figuring that maybe if they put out some good discounts this year that we could go with a moderate, two rooms, for about the same price or a little more. What to do, what to do!!!

nickv1025
02-01-2009, 08:20 PM
Now see, I went to Disney's site and put in 5 people. It gave me the option of ASM first, and when I read the description, it said "All suites have one queen-size bed, a living room with a double-size sleeper sofa, and two twin-size sleeper chairs..."

Another option it gave was POR. Now when I clicked on this, the description said "All rooms have two double beds..." Wouldn't this only sleep four?

Normally, the site says when your party is too large. I'm a little confused...

:blush:

KAT1811
02-01-2009, 08:34 PM
Another option it gave was POR. Now when I clicked on this, the description said "All rooms have two double beds..." Wouldn't this only sleep four?

Normally, the site says when your party is too large. I'm a little confused...

:blush:

At POR they have rooms that have a trundle bed for a fifth person. From what I have heard it is small and is good for a smaller child not an adult. For us one room won't work anywhere since there are 6 of us but for a party of 5 I have heard this works but the room inbetween the door and the trundle is very small.

nickv1025
02-01-2009, 08:39 PM
Okay I appreciate the answer!

Can someone that has stayed in the POP suite describe to me the roominess?

:mickey:

PrettyMinnie
02-01-2009, 09:23 PM

We too have a family of 6 and found the Family Suite very helpful. They are rooming and the separate rooms are convenient. And of course we make use of the kitchen, which would be especially helpful for you with a 7 month old! Good Luck!:minnie:

Aurora
02-02-2009, 12:03 AM
At POR they have rooms that have a trundle bed for a fifth person. From what I have heard it is small and is good for a smaller child not an adult. For us one room won't work anywhere since there are 6 of us but for a party of 5 I have heard this works but the room inbetween the door and the trundle is very small.

I've slept on the trundle and it wasn't bad. Granted, I'm a short adult -- 5'4'', but I wasn't uncomfortable.

There is hardly any room between the trundle and the door. You really have to roll it under the bed after awaking to avoid killing your ankles on the frame.

pixiesmimi
02-02-2009, 09:20 AM
There are 6 of us this year so we would need two rooms. I cannot imagine trying to stuff all of us into one room! LOL!

Yeah, I knew when I wrote that about the room size that you had 6 and knew it probably wouldn't fit you. We might end up with 6 or 7 and that wouldn't work with us either. Depending on what the price difference is between the suite and two rooms, I'm thinking the suites would be nice for that size family along with having the kitchenette since there will be three adults and the rest are children (teenagers and small ones). We did like having the two connecting rooms before but didn't have a lot of room to move because one room had a pack and play and no fridge or coffee maker. I love having my coffee in the morning while getting dressed without having to send someone to the food court. I think if we do this again, we will try the family suite. Although, if they don't discount the suite and more of these good discounts come up, the two rooms might win out. :D

FenwayGirl
02-02-2009, 03:33 PM
We stayed at ASMU Family suites with a party of 3 adults and 3 children. The extra room (king size bed, internet hookup and TV gave us some privacy and the kids...and their Mom got to sleep in the living room

Some one mentioned using the second door, but there is only one entrance, through the living room area. The 2 bathrooms were great for a group of our size. Also, having the kitchen area was wonderful. They keep it stocked daily with paper goods and coffee.

dmallan
02-02-2009, 04:09 PM
I think the second door was mentioned as a plus for having two connecting rooms.

Also, regarding the coffeemaker. We decided to go for the connecting rooms and just brought our own small coffee maker. I bought one before we left and kept everything packed tightly in the box the way it came. Tucked the box in between a couple beach towels and it made it from Buffalo to Orlando via SW in one piece.