PDA

View Full Version : Value vs. moderate? What are your favorite things about the moderates?

AmandaChan
02-01-2009, 10:40 AM
Are the moderate resorts really worth the extra $ over a value? We like Pop Century a lot but we want to try something new. We heard that the Port Orleans resort have horrible bus service and Coronado Springs just doesn't have the Disney spirit. I've also read that people like Port Orleans more than Caribbean Beach.. we just can't decide!

Deluxes are somewhat out of the question. We might stay at one for a couple nights just to see what it's like. I WISH we could stay at Polynesian but it's just too expensive.

Any thoughts on why you like the moderates more than the values? I've read at times that there isn't THAT much of a difference. Also which would you prefer ... Riverside or French Quarter?

Thank you!

:beaker:

nickv1025
02-01-2009, 11:18 AM
I've stayed at both Pop and Coronado.

If I had my choice, I would pay the extra money for the Springs.

Pop is kinda cheesy (it's a good cheesy) whereas Coronado is...well, different.

It is more relaxing for the eye and the mind. There are nice fountains and pools. The theme is more relaxed. And the buildings have more character.

The value resorts are colorful and decorative and all, but how much character do those box buildings really have?

Luv Eeyore
02-01-2009, 11:54 AM
We've stayed at both Riverside and French Quarter and liked Riverside better. For me, it was mostly the atmosphere, the kids liked the theme pool better, and DH liked it better becasue the mattress at the room we had in the FQ sagged horribly making sleep almost impossible.

All that notwithstanding, if you choose either one of these resorts, I think you'd be happy, and no matter which side you choose, head over to the food court at FQ and get some bengets. Best treat ever.

Briansmom
02-01-2009, 12:09 PM
We really enjoyed our stay at POFQ....it is small enough that walking anywhere within it is not bad at all. And the good thing about the bus service there is that there is only one bus stop (which isn't an issue because of the smallness of the place)....the bus route is 'shared' with Riverside HOWEVER, POFQ is the first stop so if they fill up, then they go onto the parks; and you are also the first stop when you come 'home' in the evenings, which is great after a tiring day! It is very relaxing there and we had a wonderful experience.

We did do some exploring at Riverside while we there (rented a surrey) and ate at Boatwrights (which was pretty good). It was a beautiful setting but it is rather large. I don't know anything about the bus service, just that there are multiple stops. The pool and playground area is larger than FQ so that is something to consider for yourselves as well.

The things I know that work better for us as far as value vs mods is the larger rooms, fridge included in the room instead of paying extra for it and the relaxed atmosphere instead of large, in your face theming.

Good luck with your decision!:mickey:

DisneyGlutton
02-01-2009, 12:15 PM
I haven't stayed at either CSR or POR, though I have stayed at POFQ. I agree that the bus system there is terrible (its shared with POR), which is one reason I'm thinking of downgrading to POP on my next trip. I've actually been torn between a value and moderate myself. I will say that its hard to go back to the value after doing the moderate.

I have a question though...what do you mean you've heard that CSR doesn't have the Disney spirit? In what respect? This is the place I'm thinking of trying actually, lol

Wishmaker
02-01-2009, 12:16 PM
I love the moderates for the Ambiance. It is definately like you are in another world. However, they are so spread out it can be a headache sometimes.

kakn7294
02-01-2009, 01:14 PM
We prefer the mods to the values although I'll definately stay in a value if necessary. We like the theming better in a mod and with 2 DDs, the extra room is nice because they manage to spread out and take over the room. I also like the privacy curtain at the bathroom, the fridge, and the coffeemaker. POFQ is my favorite! I didn't think the buses were bad - we've never had a significant issue.

KatMark
02-01-2009, 07:16 PM
We won't stay at anything but a moderate (CSR is our home away from home). We stayed at All-Star Sports once and did not care for it--neither did the kids. We just found it too crowded and too noisy. After a long day at the parks, we like to come back to a little more peaceful surrounding. Even during afternoon breaks, we find the moderate more "peaceful" and the pools not so crowded, etc.

AmandaChan
02-01-2009, 09:43 PM
I have a question though...what do you mean you've heard that CSR doesn't have the Disney spirit? In what respect? This is the place I'm thinking of trying actually, lol

DH and I have read some reviews on another site about CSR -- most of which had conveyed the resort to be the holding of a lot of conventions, and that a lot of people are businesslike (dressed in business apparel)and it doesn't have that Disney feel/spirit. Plus the southwestern vibe/feel doesn't really appeal to us. It does look nice though..

AmandaChan
02-01-2009, 09:44 PM
I also have another question about the moderates, particularly POFQ -- do they have the refillable mugs like they do at the values???

wdwdreamer
02-01-2009, 09:49 PM
We have stayed at POR in both the Bayou and the Mansions. We stayed there first and loved the fishing, boat rental, and boat ride to Downtown Disney. Very relaxing and a break from the buses. The food court back then was very good and the landscaping and wildlife was great fun.

We then decided to go to Carribean beach and are going back again in June. While we loved POR, but love Carribean beach even more. It's laid back theming, landscaping, wildlife was just the ticket after a long day at the parks. We can see the top of Illuminations too. So we relax at night with a Fruity drink, let the kids swim and rest our feet for the next day. We have also rented boats here, this is more lake where POR was more waterway. From POR we went down to Old Key West in a boat the day we were traveling home and had time to kill. It was one of the highlights of our trip and we have rented boats since.:pirate:

EeyoresBestFriend
02-01-2009, 10:07 PM
Yes ~ POFQ has the refillable mugs too. That way you can have hot chocolate with your beignets!!:cloud9:
And the rooms come withe a fridge ~ a step up from the values that don't have them. The one thing I missed at the values was the hot tub. This may not be a problem for you, but DH and I like to soak our feet after running around all day.
Love the feel there too.:mickey:

poeticeclipse
02-01-2009, 10:11 PM
Having stayed at both Pop (many times) and CBR once... I'm not so sure that it is worth the extra cost.

CBR is being refurbed right now and the "old" rooms are not worth the extra cash. They are only a little bit larger but they are run down. The new "Nemo" and "Pirates" rooms are probably going to be the deciding factor because they will look a lot nicer and give you more of a "deluxe" feel. The grounds are very very nice and having the beach there is really sweet.

I actually prefer Pop's food court to CBRs. I feel like the lines may not move as fast at Pop (because of all the families present) but the actual selection is nice at Pop. I just like the layout of the food court and the gift shop a lot better at Pop.

Another thing to think about is the bussing if you choose to use it. Pop is not know for having the most efficient bus system. You're gonna wait a while sometimes and even when you think you are "in line" you may not make the bus. At CBR, there are different stops and i've never NOT made the bus or even seen it crazy full.

The new pool at CBR is KILLER! I was there for week that it opened. The kids section is just beautiful and I love watching the kids enjoy themselves.

KatMark
02-01-2009, 10:35 PM
DH and I have read some reviews on another site about CSR -- most of which had conveyed the resort to be the holding of a lot of conventions, and that a lot of people are businesslike (dressed in business apparel)and it doesn't have that Disney feel/spirit. Plus the southwestern vibe/feel doesn't really appeal to us. It does look nice though..

First, CSR is not the only convention resort at Disney (CR is one as are others). We have stayed at CSR seven times and there have been conventions every trip. They never interfere with our trip and we have seldom seen them wearing business suits (we see the manager of the resort in a suit more than the conventioneers). The conventioneers we have seen are usually in business casual on their way to their meetings. Truthfully, we don't find any of the moderates or the deluxes to be really "Disney" in theme. The values, yes--with their large icons. And that is why we don't do values--we don't need Disney 24/7. We like to go back to the resort and relax, etc.

Disney5Mom
02-01-2009, 11:29 PM
We like the hot tubs and quiet pools.CSR is our preferred moderate. We like POFQ and are trying out CBR in March.

Mrs Bus Driver
02-02-2009, 09:24 AM
It is worth it if you want a place to relax when not at the parks. When I was younger and the kids were younger going to the parks was all I had in mind. Now the kids are grown and while I still like a good coaster/thrill ride, if I were to miss a ride it wouldn't bother me. Last trip I was able to stay at CBR, a beautiful resort IMHO. In the morning while DD slept in I was able to walk around the resort and enjoy the scenery (even saw flying squirels). We mostly went out late in the day and used evening EMH to our advantage. So to answer your question for me Yes! But remember if you just want to do the parks morning till night save your money. :mickey:

elmjimmlm
02-02-2009, 09:59 AM
We have stayed in a value and moderate and I like the moderate better because you have the feeling of leaving the park unlike a value...Also I have never seen the big groups at a moderate...That really makes a difference with the bus situation...We have stayed at POR 3 times and have never had a bad experience with the bus...

big blue and hairy
02-02-2009, 10:17 AM
I actually prefer Pop's food court to CBRs. I feel like the lines may not move as fast at Pop (because of all the families present) but the actual selection is nice at Pop. I just like the layout of the food court and the gift shop a lot better at Pop.

I agree completely! Not only is the selection better, but in my experience, the people there are nicer and more Disney. I usually eat low carb. Usually when I'm at WDW it more or less goes out the window, but since breakfast is easy for me, I try to at least keep it up then. At Pop when I ask to substitute sausage for the potatoes, they always do it happily. I get two sausages instead of the three that comes with the side, which makes sense to me, since sausage is more expensive than potatoes. At CBR and POR they flatly refuse and tell me I have to pay extra. At POR she was nasty about.

:sulley:

Septbride2002
02-02-2009, 10:34 AM
The thing I like about the moderates is that the themeing is an actual place - so you kinda feel like you are on 2 vacations - WDW and then Mexico with CS or the Carribean with CBR.

I loved POFQ - I loved walking around the resort it was so peaceful. I found the bus service to be great - yes you have to share with PO-riverside but it really isn't that big of deal. Plus I believe POFQ is the first pick up and drop off on the route - so you can usually get a seat on the pick up and then you are the first off the bus on the drop off. All positives in my book.

~Amanda

poeticeclipse
02-02-2009, 10:37 AM
..... but in my experience, the people there are nicer and more Disney.

YES! Another very good point. For me, I go to WDW to have FUN and to be wrapped up in everything Disney. If you're looking for a vacation that is more "relaxing and slow paced" then maybe a moderate is more appropriate for you. At a value, it's very family friendly and more "get you moving."

FaithTrustPixieDust
02-02-2009, 12:43 PM
We have not visited them all, so this may not hold true. However, we have observed a few basic differences . . . and this has nothing to do with theming, service level, etc. Just concrete differences:

Values have no waterslides at their pools. Moderates and up do.

Values also have no shelter or benches at their bus stops, whereas moderates and up do. Upon leaving the parks, bus stops for the values are always the farthest away from civilization. (or at least it seems that way to my tired feet!)

Values do not have table service restaurants, just a big food court.

Nothing wrong with any of this . . .A value is what it is . . a great place to sleep in between park visits! :mickey:

leighe
02-02-2009, 01:02 PM
We have stayed at all of the moderates and at Pop and Sports (although only for one night before checking in somewhere else). We really prefer the moderates to the value resorts. I love the landscaping and themeing of the moderates - they feel more like, well, resorts, I guess. I thought the values felt like there was concrete everywhere and I didn't really care for the huge icons. We enjoyed our trip to Pop but I think that we will avoid value resorts in the future. There was something about the bus queue at Pop that just reminded me of cattle being herded although it was nice to go straight from the bus stop to your destination, unlike the moderates.
We like some of the mods so much (POR and POFQ especially) that when the girls are older and out of strollers I think we might switch from deluxe resorts to two rooms at a moderate.

Disney Doll
02-02-2009, 03:51 PM
For us is comes down to atmosphere. The moderates seem more quite, more relaxing, and less crowded. I enjoy the lush landscaping and the calm you feel after a long day at the parks. At the values everything always seems so busy. Because the buildings at the value resorts are all crammed together it always feel crowded. I fight the crowds enough at the parks and I like a little breathing room at the resort. CSR is probably our favorite moderate although we've never stayed at POFQ. FYI, we had no problems with the bus service at POR.

Mousemates
02-02-2009, 07:12 PM
What I like best about the mods....queen beds at lower prices at CSR...better swimming pools...a bit more space...and (most of the time) the more understated theming.

NODUDE
02-02-2009, 07:21 PM
For us POR has always been very nice. The grounds are wonderful and the theming done in great detail. Seemed to have a more deluxe feel because the the attention to the overall landscaping. That being said, I actually prefer WL (seems priced more as moderate than deluxe and rooms not near a large as deluxe). Didn't care too much for POFQ, pool was being refurbished and it was cheer week so that may have had something to do with it. Will be trying value for first time this month (as opposed to free off site). Hopefully it will be as enjoyable as all say it will be.

grumpydude
02-02-2009, 08:07 PM
Haven't stayed at a value yet, but from what I hear,they are smaller and don't have many frills. CBR is my fav moderate.:cool:

mom2morgan
02-02-2009, 11:35 PM
We have stayed in a value and moderate and I like the moderate better because you have the feeling of leaving the park unlike a value...Also I have never seen the big groups at a moderate...That really makes a difference with the bus situation...We have stayed at POR 3 times and have never had a bad experience with the bus...

WEELLLa....we were at POR in December, and didn't know about "the Pop Warner group" - which meant DOZENS of screaming, giggling cheerleaders :cheer: It was kind of a three ring circus at the pool and in the food court...I'm mean, seriously -do we need to be practicing our cheers (getting louder and louder to outdo each other) while waiting in LINE for something??:shake:

CleveRocks
02-03-2009, 04:17 PM
Here's a general comparison of Moderates and Values:

Moderate rooms are 314 sq. ft. (except CBR rooms are 340).
Value rooms are 260 sq. ft.
The 54 square feet difference is about the size of two double beds.

Moderate rooms have a ceiling fan.
Value rooms don't.

Moderate rooms have a fridge.
Value rooms don't (or you'll pay $10/day to rent).

Moderate rooms have 2 sinks (except CSR's have 1).
Value rooms have 1 sink.

Moderates have a pool slide and a hot tub.
Values have neither.

Moderates provide pool towels at the main pool.
Values do not provide any pool towels … you must use your room towels.

Moderates' bus stops are covered (think protection from rain and hot sun).
Values' bus stops are not covered.

Moderates have lush landscaping.
Values have more "hardscaping."

Moderates have a food court AND a table-service restaurant (except POFQ ... food court only).
Values have only a food court.

Moderates have some sort of recreational activity (e.g., boat rentals, bike rentals).
Values don't have that type of recreational activity.

At Moderates, you can reserve and guarantee a king-size bed, for an extra nightly fee.
At Values, you can't reserve and guarantee a king; it is only a request, but you don't have to pay any extra for it if you get it.

At Moderates, the maximum room charge limit is $1,000.
At Values, it's $500.

EXTRA CREDIT:

POFQ and POR have boat service to Downtown Disney.
CSR has full room service, and a gym.
CSR has queen-size beds.
Values are much more "kid-themed" and whimsical-looking than the Moderates.

poeticeclipse
02-04-2009, 10:21 AM
One thing to keep in mind... how much of the "extras" at moderates are you actually going to use?

I went into my first (and only) moderate stay thinking "wow, i've got a pool with a slide! Wow, i've got a beach! Wow, lake activities! Wow, queen beds!" When it came down to it... I never used the water slide.... I used the "big pool" once.... I didn't even go out on the paddle boats! And that queen bed? It was cool but I would have slept just as well on a double.

It just depends on how much that sort of stuff matters to you.