PDA

View Full Version : July 4th weekend--should I even bother?

nickv1025
01-31-2009, 05:25 PM
We are going to be down in the Orlando "area" (all of Florida is the Orlando area to me :) ) from July 3 through July 8.

We are not going down for Disney, but for a tournament.

Is it even worth it to spend the money to try to get into a park? Will it be too crowded and too hot?

I remember how much different February break was than our week in January; I can't even imagine what the summer must be like!

DumboMom
01-31-2009, 05:59 PM
I didn't think it was that bad.

We went for my DD birthday (she is a 4th of july baby). We started our day in Epcot which was wonderful. They did lots of events for the holiday (United States) and it wasn't busy at all. In the afternoon we headed to the Magic Kingdom which was very busy, but we knew it would be. I think if you mentally prepare yourself it is never bad. It was also hot but you will be in the hot Florida sun anyway. The weather did cause a brief rain storm that cooled the area down.

I wouldn't let it stop me. It was a lot of fun. But I do think metally preparing yourself for the heat and crowds help. :mickey:

DizneyRox
01-31-2009, 06:14 PM
Summer in Florida is... well... it's something...

It's typically about 98° with somewhere about 100% humidity. I remember one day I brok a sweat, like a full on dripping down the small of your back sweat just walking to my car one morning to get to the parks. And it got hotter as the day went on.

July 4th however is a great time to go. The usually do fireworks on the 3rd and the 4th at both Epcot and MK. There usually are not a lot of refurbs going on, and park hours go from typicaly opening times to the wee hours of the night.

Make food reservations for about 1:30pm and you'll miss the daily torrential thunderstorm.

Enjoy!

CaptainJessicaSparrow
01-31-2009, 06:18 PM
Well, you know, it's going to be different in different parts of Florida. Outside of Disney/Theme Parks, it's relatively calm (though Orlando itself is still pretty busy that time of year).

Tampa, Miami, Ft. Lauderdale and Jacksonville were always a bit slower around the 4th. Which is why I never go home to my parents for the 4th. It's boring in Tampa.

nickv1025
01-31-2009, 06:52 PM
Okay thanks guys. I just want to make sure that, you know, we don't spend money on park tickets and then go and find out it's shoulder-to-shoulder, 110 degrees, and everything has over an hour wait.

DizneyRox
01-31-2009, 08:05 PM
Okay thanks guys. I just want to make sure that, you know, we don't spend money on park tickets and then go and find out it's shoulder-to-shoulder, 110 degrees, and everything has over an hour wait.
If you knew what it was like, why did you ask? :D

That just about sums it up!

nickv1025
01-31-2009, 09:34 PM
:mad:

I have a feeling we will be skipping Disney during our trip in July.

:down:

;)

DizneyRox
01-31-2009, 10:03 PM
:mad:

I have a feeling we will be skipping Disney during our trip in July.

:down:

;)
Bathrooms have hour long waits in the summer. Peter Pan usually hits close to 3 hours, Soarin is "sold out" of fastpass usually by 11am noon at the latest, heck, even Stitch's Great Escape has lines in the summer!

nickv1025
02-01-2009, 07:16 AM
Even though I feel like calling you a Debbie-Downer, I appreciate you saving us money.

:thumbsup:

DizneyRox
02-01-2009, 08:36 AM
I go that time every year, mostly due to school vacations, but there are may reasons. It's HOT, and I think many people just don't understand. If you know what you're getting into, it's not so bad, really.. I'm there so often though, I'm not going commando trying to get everything done. We do 2 weeks at the least so there's no rush... You could easily do a resort only trip (watch the fireworks from the Grand Floridian marina or Boardwalk or something and have a blast wthout fighting most of the crowds and speding cash on tickets.

TikiGoddess
02-01-2009, 07:29 PM
We go in the summer too -- usually early July -- and have found it perfectly doable. As long as you get to the parks early, plan ahead and use FastPass, and take a break in the middle of the day you should be fine. Yes, there's lots of people and you might not see everything, but hey, at least you're at Disney!

Plus if you stay onsite you can take advantage of some great extended EMH hours. Midnight at the MK is awesome!

Kathy

crazypoohbear
02-01-2009, 07:50 PM
To be perfectly honest, we did July 4 five years ago and I would never go back there during that holiday again.
It was HOT HOT HOT, packed beyond belief and people were hot, short tempered and down right mean, my son (age 9) was punched in the face by a woman as we were waiting for the ferry to take us to the parking lot at midnmight! NEVER AGAIN for me!!!!