PDA

View Full Version : 1970's MK memories. Who was there>

disneydoug
01-31-2009, 03:30 PM
I was there in 1973. E-Tickets and the whole works. I was 10 years old. I only saw 2 characters the whole day. Chip and Dale. There was aterrible thunderstorm and the Haunted Mansion ride stopped with us on it for several minutes. We thought it was part of the show because we didn't know it was storming until we got out of the ride. It was the only trip with y father. I have been able to take my mother twice as an adult.

Speedy1998
01-31-2009, 03:58 PM
I was close, my first trip was in 1980.

Scott C
01-31-2009, 04:13 PM
August of '73 for me -- definitely different in those days

Thanks
Scott C

Vintage Disney
01-31-2009, 05:25 PM
My first visit was in 1972. I remember the first time I rode the Haunted Mansion. We were standing in line outside and I really wanted to ride but I was also scared to ride. I remember thinking that I was determined to ride even though I was scared.

I also remember the bicentennial parade and some of the decorations.

Of course I remember the E,D,C....tickets. It was always difficult to decide which rides to choose and in most cases you could only go on a ride once. I think today's system is much better.

Other memories, Swan Boats, Mickey Mouse Revue, Mike Fink Keel Boats, Big Thunder being built. Oh, and Space Mountain was considered an extreme thrill ride in those days.:mickey:

paragon
01-31-2009, 05:51 PM
First trip was around 78. E tickets too! ( I bought some on ebay last year to add to our collection and to show my son ) It took three days to do Magic Kingdom back then! No Thunder Mountain or Splash! Space Mtn was the "tallest mountain in Floida!". Orville redenbacher popcorn carts, No Mickey's Toon Town, No DTD,it was known as Lake Buena Vista area, Oh and River Country was the only water park other than Wet & Wild.

Grim Grinning Marathon Runner
01-31-2009, 06:22 PM
I heard on a podcast that John Lennon was there in 1973

FiggyFan
01-31-2009, 09:32 PM
We went as a family in '72 or '73. I remember seeing Space Mountain under construction, A-E ticket books, long (very long) lines in the summer heat. Also a long slow drive from NY on I-95, and detours onto little state highways in areas where I-95 wasn't built yet (Georgia and South Carolina?).

PeterPan
01-31-2009, 10:00 PM
I love this thread when it pops up.

I was there Spring Break of 72. Everything was so new! Even the trees were smaller then. The whole "World" was The Magic Kingdom, Ft. Wilderness, The Contemporary, The Polynesian, The Golf Resort. Almost nothing else. Yes, we would spend 3 days exploring every nook and cranny of the MK. With that much time, you could actually visit every shop. eat in almost every food venue, ride every single ride, and even hop over to the Contemporary (it felt like you were doing something almost illegal to catch the Resort Monorail and get off at one of the resorts!) I still have a bunch of "tickets" but no "E" tickets.

My first and most powerful memory was of catching the monorail at the TTC, not knowing that were we about to go "SWOOOSH" right thru the middle of the Contemporary! What a HUGE surprise.

the other micki
01-31-2009, 10:54 PM
1979 and I was 10. The things I most remember were riding Space Mountain, riding in the front of the monorail, and playing air hockey in the Comtemporary game room.

Grim Grinning Marathon Runner
01-31-2009, 11:15 PM
My favorite actual personal memories from WDW in the 70s were the skybuckets and the different shooting arcade than is there now.

AHOTE
02-01-2009, 12:14 AM
I was there for Christmas Eve & Christmas Day 1971 and we went back and celebrated New Years Eve day before we headed home. As I remember about half the rides broke down at some point during the day but nobody seemed to get upset. We were in line for the skyride when that suddenly stopped, someone a little farther up the line from us started singing Row Row Row Your Boat and soon eveybody in line joined in. A few minutes later the ride started to move, the singing stopped and life returned to normal. I came home with two momentos from that trip, the cover from the ticket book and a small decorative plate. It's hard to believe that three of us drove from Philly to WDW in a VW bug, 1100 miles in 26 hours, three suitcases and three sets of golf clubs, spent 8 days in Florida, three days total at the park, (lodging was compliments of my aunt "D"in Kissimmee) played golf and we did it all on less than $150.00 each.

Ian
02-01-2009, 08:54 AM
First trip was in September of 1974.

I still have most of the stuff from that trip ... ticket books, park maps, resort ID cards, menus ... the works.

It was a very different place back then ... a lot of changes over the years, some good and some not-so-good.

tinklover
02-01-2009, 09:57 AM
my first trip was in 78 i was 4 almost 5. I remember being terribly frightened of HM and a Cm telling me to smile and the ghosts would not bother me, my mom said i smeiled thru teh whole ride. i rememeber my 2 fav rides that trip were 20,000 leagues and mr toads wild ride. My grandmother was on that trip with us and she wore cinnabar perfume and i still get a great memory of standing outside of SFRTH when ever i smell that perfume. we went back for spring break of 80 and though i do not remember ticket books then i do remember a ticket of some sort on a string that was hanging on my shirt. i have a pic of my brother and I sitting in front of the castle where the Walt and Mickey statue is now. I so love that pic I even have it as the wallpaper on my cell.

Daisy'sMom
02-01-2009, 03:29 PM
My first trip there was before MK opened. We drove right up, I think if I remember correctly, where the train station is. There was a hospitality house where they had a big book for visitors to sign. They were putting the steel frame in on the castle and I remember Main Street was a dirt road. My dad was working there and we visited with him. I remember looking at what was going to be the castle and thinking, why are they making such a fuss over this?:mickey:

russ57
02-01-2009, 03:55 PM
I remember being there in summer 1975, celebrating high school graduation. Orlando International Airport was under construction, had to deplane on steps to a bus to the terminal. Stayed at the Contemporary South Garden Wing. Flew Eastern Airlines from National Airport. Saw 2 evening shows, 1st at the Top of the World (top floor of Contemporary) - Rosemary Clooney performance, we had front row table. Also attended the next evening the Laua. My sister and I had a ticket worn around neck that allowed us on all rides, didn't have to worry about ticket books for us, Mom and Dad did.

javamama
02-01-2009, 04:46 PM
1979 for me, and my family. We drove down in a good ol' Winnebago(sp) it was a friend of my dad's. My Nonnie and Papa came with us, they're first trip to WDW, and actually my Papa's only. My mom was pregnant w/my youngest sister, it was May then so not so bad heat wise. Our camper broke down at Ft Wilderness, so we ended up in the CR:D I loved the circle pool so much, but the funniest thing that happened was when we rode space mountain. My papa had diabetes so he couldn't ride, after the warnings. So my dad had my sister with him, and I rode in the front by myself--mind you I was 7. During the ride my dad thought I flew out of the car!!! The poor guy, he couldn't hear me yell back I was OK. Needless to say I didn't ride SM again by myself that trip:blush: I remember the smell of walking in on mainstreet, and the first time I took my kids there w/my parents it brought me back to '79

IloveDisney71
02-01-2009, 04:58 PM
I was born in July '71 and WDW opened in October '71. My parents took my brother on opening day or within a few days of the opening (I can't remember) but they left me at home with a neighbor since I was so little. My mom snapped a picture of my dad holding my brother, who happened to be sound asleep, and guess who is shaking hands with my dad in that picture? None other than Mickey Mouse! :mickey:
I was lucky to spend the first 11 1/2 years of my life living about 30 minutes from the MK.
I remember being so scared of the "stretch room" in the HM - I would always hide my face against my mom or dad's legs until that part was over. I loved to ride the Skyway and look out over the park. I loved to see all the animal topiaries(SP?) as we rode on the monorail toward the MK. I was so amazed that Disney could make animals out of plants.;)
I was so glad when they did away with the ticket system and made everything one admission. I don't remember when that happened. I do remember standing in line at the ticket booths while may parents bought more tickets. They later changed those ticket booths to Kodak camera centers.
I remember being so excited to ride BTMR when it was built. It was my very first roller coaster and I loved it!

KevMcNJ
02-01-2009, 05:05 PM
We were there the first month it was open.
Stayed at the Contemporary. We ate one night at the restaurant on the ground level and loved seeing the monorails go thru the bldg.
They made me a peanut butter and green jelly sandwich there.
My folks were worried that Id be scared on HM, but I loved it. There was some golf tourney going on and we saw some famous golfer at Polynesian. I cant recall who it was.

The Christmas tree was up and they had the largest balls hanging from the tree. I found a photo of the HM that dad took on that trip recently and its shocking how barren the place looked. No trees of any size in the pics.

We went back a few years later and took our Winnebago. Mom saw a deer in the campground. We saw the lawnmower tree. I remember riding our bikes all over Ft Wilderness. The first day there we were on the boat to MK and I saw SM and was all excited then someone said it was still under construction and I was bummed.

On the day we left I remember we had already left the campground and were driving on some two lane rd in the middle of nowhere on our way back to Jersey. dad said that we were still technically at Disney world even though there was nothing around. Funny the junk you remember

PAYROLL PRINCESS
02-01-2009, 06:17 PM
I think my first trip was in '75 or '76. I had friends that had moved down there so we stayed with them in the Tampa area. My other friend and I drove up to WDW for the day. And back in those days you could see and do so much in just one day! Then we left to go to Ft Lauderdale for a few days. Now we don't even leave to go to that other place across town, at least not as a rule.

joonyer
02-02-2009, 04:34 PM
I was also there in late October, 1971; MK had only been open for a few weeks. I was 15 years old. My family and another family (friends of ours) camped off-site somewhere in Orlando and we went to MK only one day. You paid for tickets (A thru E) that you had to use on each ride. I remember thinking that "20K Leagues Under the Sea" was the coolest ride ever, although the special effects (fish on wires) were pretty lame by today's standards. I also remember the Carousel of Progress and the Circle Vision Theater (where "Laugh Floor" is now. The other thing we though was really fun was riding the monorail through the Contemporary hotel. My brother and I were so disappointed that our parents only took us there for just one day. Back then MK was "Walt Disney World", along with the Contemporary and Polynesian Hotels. That was pretty much all that was there then.

Stu29573
02-02-2009, 05:03 PM
I was there in '81, so it wasn't quite in the 70's, but close!

I remember dragging my aunt on HM about six times (I had been too scared to ride it at Disneyland a few years earlier). I remember loving 20,000 Leagues, and thinking that Pirates seemed different than at DL. I remember enjoying the Tiki Room, and Jungle Cruise. All in all, I pretty much loved the place and I've been back many times since! :mickey:

mouseketeer mom
02-02-2009, 06:02 PM
1977 for me. We took a BUS from NYC. Torture.
I fell in love with WDW right away. I was smitten. I remember being in the sky buckets with my family, and my Dad trying to rock it, scaring me to death.
And..I remember thinking 20,000 Leagues under the Sea was the best ride!! I was enthralled.
I got a classic white Mickey Mouse tee. My Mom saved it for me, and now my DD age 12 wears it to bed with PJ bottoms.
I was 12 on my first visit!

PetefromRI
02-02-2009, 06:51 PM
We went in 1975 for the first time when I was 16.We stayed at the Polynesian,so I got spoiled right off the bat.I remember going to Cypress Gardens and Busch Gardens 1 day but stayed the rest of the time in Disney World.We just did the MK day after day and never got tired of it and of course resort time.My Dad was so proud to bring us there on our first"real" vacation and I'll never forget it.

Mousemates
02-02-2009, 06:53 PM
1974 - stayed in the CR (at age seven)with my grandparents...remember watching the electric water parade...a long wait for Dumbo (even back then) and getting in a little trouble on Mr. Toads Wild Ride on a much older cousin's dare.

kemps@wdw
02-02-2009, 09:28 PM
1st trip in 1974 when I was 13. Boy...have things changed! Unfortunately, I have only 1 picture from this trip, but I have memories that will last forever!:)

LovinWDW
02-02-2009, 09:45 PM
Anyone else remember the plastic juice bottles from the 70's. They were in carts filled with ice. Grape juice was in a plastic bottle shaped like a bunch of grapes, orange juice was in (you guessed it) a plastic orange. I loved the grape!:thumbsup:

KevMcNJ
02-02-2009, 11:26 PM
Anyone else remember the plastic juice bottles from the 70's. They were in carts filled with ice. Grape juice was in a plastic bottle shaped like a bunch of grapes, orange juice was in (you guessed it) a plastic orange. I loved the grape!:thumbsup:

Boy that really sounds familiar now that you mention it. Forgot to mention in my ealrier post, I do remember going on the If You Had Wings ride I can hear the song in my head as I type this.

Also just remembered the Nickelodeon that used to be on Main St. I remember Steamboat Willy being shown there. Was it on a continuous loop? And The Magic Shop. My brother found trick gum there where the spring would smack your finger when you pulled the stick of "gum" out

Its funny when we @ WDW 53 weeks ago, Id turn a random corner and would see a particular buiulding or ride and instantly could remember being 6 or 10 years old and standing in that exact same spot.

maxrebo77
02-03-2009, 06:42 AM
January 1977. 17 and just graduated high school. Stayed at FW in a motorhome with a friend and her parents. It was well below zero here in IL and not much above freezing in FL. We had the ticket books and I'm pretty sure I still have mine with an A ticket left in it. Loved Space Mt. and 20,000 Leagues and spent at lot of time at COP and If You Could Fly.
Hoop Dee Doo was $12.95 then and I just loved it. If I remember right, there were train tracks but no train at the campground. I think the game room at Contemporary was open 24 hours

Diznee4Me
02-03-2009, 09:37 AM
Summer of 76. Went down with my aunt and her family. I remember the skybuckets, the ornage and grape shaped drink containers :D, and my cousin telling me there was a roller coaster in that big white spaceship looking thing. Didn't go on it and was scared to death someone was going to make me. Today I love SM but back then - to a lttle kid - it was a mystery.

Ian
02-03-2009, 11:34 AM
Anyone else remember the plastic juice bottles from the 70's. They were in carts filled with ice. Grape juice was in a plastic bottle shaped like a bunch of grapes, orange juice was in (you guessed it) a plastic orange. I loved the grape!:thumbsup:Yeah, I totally remember those. In fact, I think I might still have one floating around somewhere.

I think tops on my list of things I miss from those days are:

If You Had Wings (my all-time favorite)
The Skyway (miss those great views!)
Mr. Toad
The "real" Main Street

ILoveLegos
02-03-2009, 04:13 PM
August 1978

I totally remember the plastic orange & grape "juice" containers. My brother & sister and I all got the orange ones (we didn't like grape that much). The containers had a green screw on top with a paper straw in it. After we finished the original drinks, we kept filling the containers with water fountain water and drank that because it was so HOT that day. The paper straws started to disentergrate with all extra use. Then when we'd drink we got paper pulp-y in our mouths - yuck! We tossed the straws and just sucked the water out of the oranges directly - I thought that WDW water tasted so good! (:ack: I was a kid - 'cause now it's pretty bad) By the time our vacation was done, we were using those same containers in "water fights" at our cousin's house. That was awesome fun, squirtin' cousins!

Another memory I haven't seen mentioned were the crank handled "motion picture" flip photos in the penny arcade. I remember watching fighters box in a ring. Put a coin in and at first turning really slow then fast then stopping etc. It was fun to see tiny changes make movements (the begining of my interest in animation) then you'd get to the end of the movie and the light would go out.

Lastly I remember seeing the native american's "camp" along the river bed while riding on the steam boat and I thought that they were real live people not animatronic (okay, I needed glasses-LOL)! I kept asking my mom if they were of the same tribal affiliation as us and why they dressed so skimpy. :blush: I didn't understand my tribal heritage all that much yet, because my family is a decendant of the Muscogee (Creek) Nation (I was only 7 yrs old at the tme). :mickey:

mermaidmarian
02-03-2009, 08:36 PM
My first trip was in the summer of 1977. We were visiting family in Jax and "drove down for the day" (can you even believe it?!). I was 13. My dad was totally stressing because of the expense - and I spent half of the day in the infirmary with "ahem" cramps. They didn't sell any medication on property back then, and I had come unprepared. The nurse served me tea. :thumbsup: It was not the trip to WDW that vacation dreams are made of. In fact, I never had any interest in returning until DH and I made the trip on a lark shortly after we were married in 1990. The rest is history. :mickey:

LarryBoy
02-04-2009, 10:58 AM

I had so forgotten about those. I was always a grape man myself. Those were the coolest.

My first trip, I think, was in 1974. I was a young 4 so I don't remember a whole lot. I do remember my family talking me into riding the HM and absolutely loving it. I have stronger memories of our trip in 76. I remember being picked to march with the fife and drum guys in the bicentennial parade. I still have the pin that they gave me, but not the copy of the Declaration of Independence they gave me. I always wonder if that pin is worth any money?

wire0monkey
02-04-2009, 02:21 PM
I was there during Christmas 1976. I was 7 and I had a broken arm. I don't remember much. I remember going on the 20,000 Leagues under the Sea submarines and Cinderella's Carousel. The fireworks and the evening parade were really great. There was an enormous Christmas tree on Main Street. The Hall of Presidents was boring, but the Country Bear jamboree was cool.

diz_girl
02-04-2009, 04:05 PM
June 1976 - I was six, almost 7.

We drove from Philly in our Plymouth Volare wagon, which was burgundy with wood-like paneling. We also went to Cape Canaveral, Cypress Gardens and Weeki Wachee. We also drove the the Gulf of Mexico and dipped our feet in the water.

We stayed at the CR, but back then you could pool-hop, so I remember the Poly pool too.

I definitely remember the grape and orange juice containers.

I also remember -
-the buckets
-the ticket booth in Fantasyland
-the shooting gallery, game room and cafeteria in the first floor of the CR
-River Country (oh, how I loved it)
-riding in the speedboats on Bay Lake and Seven Seas Lagoon
-the Arcade and the rest of Main Street
-my first time on SM. The ride whipped me around so much, I thought that I went upside down.

We also went in June of 1980 and we stayed at the Poly. I distinctly remember playing Space Invaders on consoles on the second floor of the GCH. You would sit down at what looked like a table, but the table had a glass top and you could play the game with joysticks under the edges of the tabletop.

jetsdc
02-04-2009, 05:16 PM
Agree with so many that have been mentioned; among those that haven't:

* the magic shop on Main St.
* the monorails where you could push out the windows on each door (and they had to come down the line closing each door individually)
* for that matter, the cool "whoosh" sound when they used the airlock to open the doors on the monrail
*the monorail drivers' lime green and blue uniforms
* the ubiquitous "D" with Mickey ears logo with the latitude/longtitude lines (now only really seen on the front of the monorails)
* the Main St. Electrical Parade (and its theme song)
*the Disney "history" movie they showed in a Main St. theater, with lots of old Walt footage (anyone know what this was called?)
*the "Now is the Time" version of the COP song (this may have been the early 80s)
*the busses to the Lake Buena Vista hotels that had the color-coded lines and triangle flags to tell you what went where (no digital signs!)
*the WEDway PeopleMover (the name anyway)
*I swear I really thought we were going to Mars on the Mission to Mars ride -- maybe b/c I was younger, but I frankly recall that one being overall more "realistic" than the too-fancy Mission Space of today.
*meeting characters in the park without having to line up and be so corporate and organized (though I understand that there's just too much pushing/shoving today if they don't organize us)
(What's happened to us as humans that we can't behave without so many rules?!)

Anyway, thanks for the fun trip down memory lane...

Disney1977
02-04-2009, 07:19 PM
Great thread.

My first trip to WDW was February 1977 with my CCD group. Father Balcome took 100+ kids down on two buses from Milton Massachusetts. It cost $225 for everything, transportation, lodging, food and tickets. I paid for the trip with my babysitting money.

I remember Space Mountain, the Wedway People Mover and 20,000 Leagues.

Thanks.

ILoveLegos
02-04-2009, 07:31 PM
*the Disney "history" movie they showed in a Main St. theater, with lots of old Walt footage (anyone know what this was called?) ...Anyway, thanks for the fun trip down memory lane...

It was called the Mickey Mouse Review, if memory serves and now it's in Tokyo Disneyland.

Thanks to you for the memories. I forgot mission to Mars. I too thought I was actually blasting off because the seat moved! - LOL

dmallan
02-04-2009, 07:46 PM
Our family drove down in a rented Winnebago. We stayed off site at Yogi Bear's Jellystone Park.

I remember that If you had Wings, COP, and Circle Vision 360 did not cost you a ticket and so my brothers and I rode them over and over again!

stitchaholic
02-04-2009, 08:33 PM
1978,and we also stayed at jellystone national park!

wdwfansince75
02-04-2009, 10:43 PM
User name gives it away...First trip was 4 nights at the Contemporary in July, 1975....With DW, DS#1, DD's 1 & 2, and DMIL & DFIL....DW was pregnant with DS # 4...
Rode everything, including Swan Boats....as I recall, we were able to buy ticket books of just E-Tickets to supplement the basic book of A, B, C, D, and E tickets....Had breakfast most days at the Top of the World....DMIL and DD#2 (5 at the time) rode If You Had Wings time and time again...DD#2 also loved PoTC....
It was our first real vacation...and we were hooked!

Wayne
02-04-2009, 10:59 PM
It was called the Mickey Mouse Review, if memory serves and now it's in Tokyo Disneyland.

Actually, the Walt Disney Story is the name of the attraction that jetsdc was referring to. It was in the building that houses Tony's and the entrance was on the right side of the building toward Main Street Station. The pre-show area housed memorabilia of Walt including (at one time) the Oscar statue for Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs and the post show area usually served as a preview of coming attractions.

The Mickey Mouse Review was in Fantasyland in the building that at one time housed the Magic Kingdom's Lion King show (I can't for the life of me remember what is there now).

ILoveLegos
02-04-2009, 11:32 PM
The Mickey Mouse Review was in Fantasyland in the building that at one time housed the Magic Kingdom's Lion King show (I can't for the life of me remember what is there now).

Thanks, I stand corrected. The Lion King's show is now Philharmargic.

Briansmom
02-04-2009, 11:46 PM
I was so glad when they did away with the ticket system and made everything one admission. I don't remember when that happened. I do remember standing in line at the ticket booths while may parents bought more tickets.

When I worked in the main ticket booths in 1979 (I was a mere 19!:baby:), there were still ticket books, but there were also multi day passes (3 or 4 day). I remember loving to be able to help guests figure out which was their best deal and showing them things on the map. I loved the guests that would listen to all the suggestions; and then getting ill(internally, of course!) at the ones who insisted that the best/cheapest route for them to take would be to buy the Transportation Ticket only and buy ride tickets separately! (how stupid they were...) I just know I really, really loved that job. I remember balancing my drawer at the end of my shift and just walking out of the booth and walking unescorted to the break room and down to the vault with $10,000 in my bag....can you imagine doing that nowadays?? :jaw:

The Hall of Presidents was boring, but the Country Bear jamboree was cool.

Ditto about the hall of presidents for us kids then too...but couldnt get enough of Country Bear. One time we were standing at the bar in the saloon at the exit, and I bumped into someone and said excuse me, then turned around and realized I had said excuse me to my reflection in the mirror!! :doh:

We also went to Cape Canaveral,

-River Country (oh, how I loved it)

My parents worked at Cape Kennedy (as it was known back then) and when I was in high school, we had our marching band officers summer outing at River Country every year! Everyone thought it was so cool that we got to go there! Which it was!!

* the Main St. Electrical Parade (and its theme song)

...and the Pete's Dragon float in that parade...I just loved it!!

I believe it is Mickey's Philharmagic now...

My memories started when my dad took my mom and I over to Orlando (we lived in Merritt Island)in 1971 when "Walt Disney World" opened......he didnt really care for it and so whenever company came to visit us, he never went back, but I sure got to go when they would go.
Also, memories from four Grad Nites...the coolest being my senior year getting to see KC and the Sunshine Band, and Kool and the Gang!! :rocker:
And then all the wonderful memories of working there 'back then' and just popping into the park from back stage after working a shift. It was great!

Oh, and I never got tired of going to wardrobe and walking in the tunnels! It was magical to me even though I was working. (Guess that's why I now am on these boards, eh??)

Thanks for the trip down memory lane!

Crow
02-05-2009, 02:21 AM
around 73. dont remember too much. it was just MK, full day in the sun walking out tired. I remember the E etc tickets.
stayed somewhere offsite. Kennedy Space Center and some places.

like2workout
02-05-2009, 09:01 AM
i was never able to go to disneyworld growing up, but love reading this thread! i love hearing about how the park used to be, so please keep posting! this is fascinating.

c&d
02-05-2009, 10:21 AM
I first went in '74 and the one thing I absolutely remember is HM. I was mesmerized by it. I couldn't figure out how the ghosts were dancing and when the showed up I was amazed. I also remember it wasn't that crowded, it felt like the park was empty.

mermaidmarian
02-06-2009, 06:02 PM
Our family drove down in a rented Winnebago. We stayed off site at Yogi Bear's Jellystone Park.

Are you the Griswolds? :mickey:

dmallan
02-06-2009, 07:21 PM
Are you the Griswolds? :mickey:

lol. Come to think of it, it was kind of Griswald-like!
We had never been to WDW or a campground before, but mom figured out that this was the way to go if we wanted to do it on a budget. (There were 8 of us altogether - mom, dad, myself and 5 younger brothers!)
On the way there, we pulled into a KOA for the night and there wasn't another soul around. Kinda creepy. Dad said jokingly, "Gee, it would be nice if we had another person or two to talk to around the campfire." Then when we pulled into Jellystone Park, there were wall to wall campers, tents and motor homes! Yikes! Be careful what you wish for! It was a real experience.

I don't even remember how many days we spent at WDW. I know we were there on Good Friday, because we were trying to find a CS restaurant where we could get fish! We may have gone back on Easter Sunday as well.

It's great to remember those things! I think I have a journal of that trip in the attic. I should pull that out one of these days!

Daddy Mouse
02-07-2009, 08:49 PM
Ahhh Memory Lane Does anyone remeber Circle Vision 360 or Flight to the Moon? I also rember the CM's letting us, several cousins, go on the HM ride over and over again at the end of the day. The park was nearly deserted by then. We had no more tickets they just kept letting us go.

ILoveLegos
02-08-2009, 05:17 PM
Ahhh Memory Lane Does anyone remeber Circle Vision 360.

Yes, I think it was something like America the Beautiful, I only remember it felt kinda like you were in a parade and were flying and I think Mt Rushmore was pictured as that music played. But I could be mixing it up with other childhood memories. I do know that I was waaayyyy shorter than most of the other people standing in there and I felt a little dizzy. :(

TheMartellFamily
02-08-2009, 05:55 PM
I remember 1976 because they had a Bi-Centennial parade and Mickey and Minnie were dresses in period clothing. We stayed in Ft. Wilderness and we to the Poly since they had a boat directly from there. We were able to pool hop to their pool and would stay there all day. Ft Wilderness had the trams that are now found in the parking lots to get around.

jimsgal05
02-27-2009, 10:02 AM
We were there for the !st time Halloween week..it was amazing I was 8...The only "charater" I had my photo with was a haunted tree...still makes me laugh...The most wonderful thing was having dinner in the MKC with silver plates and goblets to drink from...I still remember the meal.

I also still have my "Halloween Minnie" she is wearing an orange dress not the RED one....:mickey:

the tiki birds thrilled my dad...and the Hall of Pres. too....that was Big for back then.

been hooked ever since:mickey:

iheartdisney
02-27-2009, 11:06 AM
I love the opportunity to reminisce like this...Thanks!

My grandparents took us out of school in March of '72 to visit for a week. My second cousin was an electrician on-site and gave us ticket books.

...I remember my grandfather being confused using them and us running out of something we all really wanted to ride and him having to get more.

...Yes! Grape was the best but my sister and I horded them and had a huge collection of those plastic grape and orange juice "boxes" when we got home. Who knew I could auction them now on ebay?

...Haunted Mansion, the Skyway, Swan boats with my grandmother, the Tiki birds (my grandmother LOVED them and I wish they had never changed that attraction) and It's a small world. My grandfather would sing the song over and over, purposely out of tune to drive us crazy! I wish he were still here to sing it to me. :(

...the castle seemed so larger than life to me and I met Cinderella and practically fainted. Snow White did it for my sister.

...Mickey Ears (of course) and a stuffed Pluto were my souveniers.

What an amazing place WDW is. I'm so glad Walt's dream came true and continues to make so many memories for so many wonderful people. May his magic live forever.

murphy1
02-27-2009, 12:00 PM
I just got a bunch of old 70's pics from my mom's house, I have a great one of me and my sister just walking and talking with Snow White, they didn't have character attendants back then. I have another one of our first visit of me on the carousel, I love it!!! I will have to restore it, it looks all orange due to flash issues I guess. My first visit was right after we moved to Florida in June '72, I was 5. I also have parade pics from "76, one had the three little pigs and another was this rabbit and you could see how he slipped the head over his head, b/c there was a line around his head haha. There was a fife and drum core and Mickey too and they all walked in the parade.

dmallan
02-27-2009, 03:24 PM
My mom called this week to tell me she was cleaning out some stuff in a cupboard and found my travel log from our trip to the world in 1976.
She was reading me excerpts over the phone... Apparently I wrote down everytime we stopped for gas (.63 a gallon by the way) and kept track of everything we did each day!
I can't wait to get my hands on it!

MistressGracey999
02-27-2009, 09:07 PM
Wow, I really enjoyed reading everyone's posts on this topic!

My first trip wasn't until 1984. I was 10 years old, and we had went to visit relatives in Casselberry. My uncle worked for WDW as a painter, and surprised me one day during the visit with a trip to the Magic Kingdom. :cloud9:

I was in awe of this fantastic place, and developed an addiction to anything Disney. Even as I type this, I am looking around my home at my Haunted Mansion ride posters and Snow White lantern, etc., etc., etc.!!

My two most vivid memories from this trip are riding the PotC, and riding The Haunted Mansion. I was enthralled at the "sweetly spooky" atmosphere at the Mansion, and I thought the PotC was the most exciting thing in the world!

Years later, when I finally got to return as an adult, I was amazed at how much of my "memory" of WDW was WAY off, though. For instance, I had told my DH and DS's that there was a drop at the END of PotC, so imagine their suprise when we slid down the flume two minutes into the ride, LOL...

WDW has changed so much, it seems, but I'll keep going back as long as the FEEL of the place stays the same. It's indescribable, but I'm sure you all here know what I mean...;)

spoiledraf
02-27-2009, 10:29 PM
First trip down was in late 70's. Got my first ever speeding ticket in Columbia S.C. on the way. (Got my second last week coming home for a funeral in Tennesee :()

Anyway, we had tow little ones with us and only lasted a couple hours. Notour best trip, but we perserveered!

lindique
02-28-2009, 03:56 PM
I just remembered another old ride that I don't think anyone mentioned yet - the Mine Train through Nature's Wonderland. I really enjoyed that ride, but I imagine the technology would be considered ancient nowadays. Was that ride in Disney World or only in Disneyland? I get mixed up sometimes about the early days because my first trip to a Disney park was Disneyland in 1975.

I first went to Disney World in 1978, where we stayed in the Travelodge - one of the hotels on Hotel Blvd in those days. I think it's still there, but has been taken over by another chain now. I went every year after that. I remember being really excited when they opened the Caribbean Beach Resort because I would finally be able to afford to stay on Disney property.

However, the first time I went on Disney rides was at the New York World's Fair in 1964 (does that count?) it's a small world, Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln (which became the Hall of Presidents), Carousel of Progress, and the Ford ride (don't remember the name) where you rode in Ford convertibles and went back in time to see Dinosaurs. I believe those dinosaurs ended up in the tunnel on the train ride in Disneyland, and were probably the basis for the Universe of Energy ride.

Love of Disney
02-28-2009, 04:04 PM
My first trip was in 1976 when I was 5. My parents took my sister and I who was 10, on a very long drive from Ontario, Canada to Florida. The long ride was totally worth it!! The memory I remember the most was painting Tom Sawyer's fence. Everytime I go back to Disney, I always take a look at that fence on the island. My daughter's first trip was last year when she was 1 and we are going back again this year. I am excited that she will make her own fond memories!! Dumbo seems to be her's right now!!
:dumbo::dumbo::dumbo:

RedHead
02-28-2009, 05:09 PM
I was there in 1973. E-Tickets and the whole works. I was 10 years old. I only saw 2 characters the whole day. Chip and Dale. There was aterrible thunderstorm and the Haunted Mansion ride stopped with us on it for several minutes. We thought it was part of the show because we didn't know it was storming until we got out of the ride. It was the only trip with y father. I have been able to take my mother twice as an adult.

You and I are of an age. I was there at the age of 10 in the same year; I remember E-tickets, riding Haunted Mansion with my face buried n the coach's sleeve, and riding up and down Main Street on the horse-drawn trolley (An A-ticket rider, or $.10). I was there in 1977; Jungle Cruise, camping with the Gorilla Scouts in the campgrounds, riding Small World until you were sick of it. I remember 1979, staying with the family at the Golf Resort (it was still open to the public then - by being the (only) non-monorail property back then, it was the cheapest!), riding Space Mountain every hour while we waited for the brass ensomble to come back to perform! I remember the Magic Shop, the Penny Arcade, the Card Shop, the Marketplace with the telephones you could listen in on a conversation ("Eleven cents a pound for Bacon? Who do they think we are, the Rockefellers?") - oh, those were fun days...

:)

murphy1
03-02-2009, 12:44 PM
Sort of a snow day here, thought I'd share my old pics circa '72 through '76, some are a little harsh, cameras not great then!

http://share.shutterfly.com/share/received/welcome.sfly?fid=41514c9327e9266e&sid=8EYtmjlo0bslO

Stu29573
03-02-2009, 01:12 PM
I just remembered another old ride that I don't think anyone mentioned yet - the Mine Train through Nature's Wonderland. I really enjoyed that ride, but I imagine the technology would be considered ancient nowadays. Was that ride in Disney World or only in Disneyland? I get mixed up sometimes about the early days because my first trip to a Disney park was Disneyland in 1975.

Yep, it was at Disneyland. My first Disney park visit was Disneyland in '73. I LOVED that ride! Of course now it's Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, which I also love, but in a very different way.

Michigander
03-02-2009, 01:39 PM
My first trip was in April 1978 I was with the Big Red Marching Machine from Port Huron, Michigan. Lead by Eric Peyton. I was a senior in high school. I fell in love and have never gone anywhere else that has made me feel so wonderful for having taken time to visit it again and again. We marched in the daytime parade in Magic Kingdom and had the rest of the day to have fun. We were given the book of tickets plus a book of extra e-tickes. I remember using every ticket and then going and buying several more. It was wonderful then and its still wonderful. I leave April 3rd to go again this time with my 2 teenagers husband 2 sisters and their families. :cloud9:

Aurora
03-02-2009, 02:52 PM
Sort of a snow day here, thought I'd share my old pics circa '72 through '76, some are a little harsh, cameras not great then!

http://share.shutterfly.com/share/received/welcome.sfly?fid=41514c9327e9266e&sid=8EYtmjlo0bslO

I absolutely love your pictures! They so much remind me of when I was young. We went to Disneyland in 1973 and Disney World in 1978 and that's what the photos looked like!

I've sent you a PM about your pics.

RocknBev
03-03-2009, 09:26 AM
My first trip was Spring of 77 on a school field trip. Of course we had to go to Kennedy Space Center first...which was cool too!

WDW was a great experience. Growing up in Atlanta, I was a frequent visitor to Six Flags so I expected another theme park...but Disney was more than just a theme park...it was MAGIC.....it still is!:magic:

Anyway...as a 9th grader, I LOVED SM and HM. I hated the ticket system because you could only ride those beloved rides until those tickets ran out! Those E-tickets were GOLD! I like the system much better now...especially with the FP!

But my favorite memories were seeing the castle for the first time walking down main street...how cool...I knew it was built just for me :princess: and then riding the monorail through the CR...that was the coolest thing ever!

Like the other posters...thanks for the walk down memory lane. It is hard to believe it has been 30 years since my first visit.

Mickey91
03-03-2009, 09:58 PM
I went in 1973, 1977 and 1979. It was alot of fun! I remember buying the little tickets at stands in the middle of each land and you couldn't ride all the rides in each land because each ticket had four rides you had to choose from. I was upset because I wanted to ride Small World and Dumbo again and again.

brad192
03-03-2009, 11:10 PM
My first ever trip to WDW. Christmas Day 1971, the first Xmas ever at WDW!

We stayed offsite, (my family was BIG into camping at the time) at Jellystone Campground in Apopka. We were just one of a ton of families who had congregated at the campground for a week long rally for our camping clan.

There were about 600 families that descended upon WDW on that wonderful Xmas day.

I remember driving into the resort, and seeing the road signs directing us towards WDW, and getting more more excited as we got closer & closer to the parking lot.

We had our dog with us, Deogee, and I remember her excitement as we jumped on the tram & headed for the TTC - and the Kennel. We were certain that she would have a wonderful time in the care of the WDW CM's caring for all of the Guest's beloved pets.

Arriving at MK (the only park at the time), we walked under the train station (left side - still a tradition with me) and rounded Town Square to see Cinderella Castle in all its glory. That was the moment I was hooked. Disney would, from that moment on, be a huge part in my life.

We wandered down Main Street, and worked our way towards the hub. In '71 they opened Main Street about an hour before "Rope Drop". And by "Rope Drop", I mean just that. It was NUTS!

Parents dragging their kids in a mad dash to get to their favorite ride, screaming & yelling. As a 13 year old kid I couldn't believe how people were acting! I remember my mother saying "My God! Don/'t they realize the've got ALL DAY?"

We took our time, and used all of our E-Tickets (& had to buy some more), and had the best day ever. On our return to the campground we were staying at, I was talking to my mother & just kind or blurted out "This was the best day of my life!" - and at that moment it was absolutely true.

I've been a Disney Fanatic ever since.

Walt, Roy, Ya Done Good...

MMFreak
03-04-2009, 12:00 PM
II remember my first trip in 72 I was 9 years old and I remember how tough it was deciding which ride to ride, since they were ticket books with choices on either side and you could only choose one ride from that ticket. I LOVED the 20,000 leagues under the sea and the haunted mansion and I loved eating in the castle. Our 2 weeks trip turned into a month though. We had driven down with another family. Four adults and 16 kids (eeek) anyway we camped all the way down and one day at the campsite all of the boys were playing quoits (round horseshoes) and my brother bent down to clean dirt off the peg and instead he got pegged right in the head with the heavy metal quoits. He ended up in the hospital and had to have brain surgery and have his own metal plate in his head. Terrible terrible experience at the time but now we look back and laugh at the circumstances. My brother had really really long hippy hair and in the hospital they only shaved one side of his head he looked ridiculous. The upside to this was we got 2 extra weeks in Orlando and to keep 16 kids busy we did a lot more than was planned!

playdead88
03-05-2009, 06:16 AM
my first trip was in 1976 and i was 18 months old - i don't remember a thing but the pictures and the video without sound are so cool to watch - it seems like so much has changed - then again my mom and dad came with us on our last family trip and mom said it was unreal how little had changed in over 30 years - she said the castle and crystal palace were exactly how she remembered them

Bass T-bone
03-05-2009, 11:39 AM
I can do better than that! I was at the New York Worlds Fair back in 64-65 and saw "It's a Small World" and "Carousel of Progress".

wire0monkey
03-05-2009, 12:11 PM
I was just thinking about those books with the lettered tickets in them.

We stayed at a hotel off-site when I was there in 1976. In one of the hotel spaces, near the snack machine, was a box which was collecting left over Disneyworld tickets for donations to nursing homes and nursery schools. Basically, people would have lots of A-B-C tickets left over in their ticket books and they could give them to other people to use. I think that all of those ticket books had their E-tickets ripped out.

I remember wondering if anyone really wanted to go the parks, if they didn't have an E-tickets to use.

Tigerinvestigator
03-05-2009, 03:11 PM
I was there "in the womb" in 1972. My first official visit was 1973 and then every year since. When I think about the 1970's my mind always remembers those green and blue tile floors at the Great Ceremonial House at the Polynesian. Also fond memories of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.:thumbsup:

KevMcNJ
03-05-2009, 08:12 PM
this may be semi-OT, but I remember seing a picture of a race car in a magazine one time, and painted on the back of the car above the rear bumper it said

"Its an 'E' ticket! "

I wonder how many people had no idea what that meant

wire0monkey
03-06-2009, 11:00 AM
I just remembered something about Space Mountain. I didn't want to ride it, because I was too scared, but there was a technology display at the exit to the ride. I remember being very amazed by the display that showed how you would be to use a home computer to shop for clothes and groceries.

That was really unbelievable in 1976.

AndrewJackson
03-06-2009, 07:05 PM
First trip was a day trip in '72. Don't remember since I was only 2. Next, it was 1974. We stayed at Fort Wilderness for a week. Have been back nearly every year since.

I remember getting a Donald Duck hat, pulling it over my eyes, and going around telling everyone that I was Donald Duck.

I remember having to show your resort ID to get on the boats and the monorail. I remember the tram at Fort Wilderness.

I remember River Country, and it being open after dark.

I remember no pool at Fort Wilderness, swimming in the lake, and Goofy water skiing on the lake.

And best of all, I remember my favorite - the Main Street Electric Parade.

grwoolf
03-06-2009, 07:54 PM
1979 and I was 10. The things I most remember were riding Space Mountain, riding in the front of the monorail, and playing air hockey in the Comtemporary game room.

I was there mid 70's a few times and the Contemporary air hockey is a vivid memory (weird what you remember some times). Another big memory was the the "If you had wings" ride (eastern airlines). We rode that quite a bit since it was free.

Tinksalot
03-06-2009, 09:26 PM
I remember E tickets, it brings back fond memories. :mickey:

Mickey052501
03-07-2009, 08:17 AM
1977 for me I was three but I don't remember anything.

Briansmom
03-07-2009, 05:33 PM
I just remembered something about Space Mountain. I didn't want to ride it, because I was too scared, but there was a technology display at the exit to the ride. I remember being very amazed by the display that showed how you would be to use a home computer to shop for clothes and groceries.

That was really unbelievable in 1976.

Or being able to watch a movie at home with a round shiny disk! (even tho it was the size of an 33 1/3 record!) ;)

PETE FROM NYC
03-08-2009, 07:46 PM
DW and I were there in 75,four years before we got married.
We had a room at the Hilton Gateway Inn on 192.I remember most of the things other posters mentioned.
I also remember that back then you could do Sea World in half a day, which we did, and then we went to the now defunct Stars Hall of Fame.
BTW I still have a few A and B tickets left somewhere.Unfotunately.we lost most of our keepsakes from early trips in a house fire.

KevMcNJ
03-08-2009, 09:38 PM
I recently found this pic from our Nov, 1971 visit.
You can actually see the bldg where the HM ride really takes place

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f343/KevMcNJ/ScannedImage-8-1.jpg

javamama
03-08-2009, 10:21 PM
OMG I remember the game room at the Contemp, and I remember my parents getting cartoon charactures(sp) of my sister and I done there. I think my dad still has it somewhere. We always got grape juice in the morning there before heading out of our room for the day my dad would bring us room service when we were little, it was in little containers. Wow these are great memories we all have!

Stu29573
03-08-2009, 10:42 PM
I recently found this pic from our Nov, 1971 visit.
You can actually see the bldg where the HM ride really takes place

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f343/KevMcNJ/ScannedImage-8-1.jpg

Wow! That's really cool! It's interesting to see how the trees have matured.

Boost
03-12-2009, 07:41 PM
My grandparents took me in '74 or '75 for the first time. I have been hooked ever since. I also remember the orange and grape drinks and I loved If You Had Wings. The monorail was so impressive to me as a little kid...it felt like the future had REALLY arrived the first time that we rode it. I just remember a Disney World that was new and unspoiled and everyone seemed to behave...very different from now.

PlutoLover
03-13-2009, 10:52 PM
I went in 1978 for the first time, I was 2 and a half and I don't remember much but I do remember meeting Pluto for the first time in the lobby of the Contemporary. I was super shy in my mom's arms and kinda nuzzled my head to her shoulder but Pluto was not giving up on me so I warmed up and pulled his tongue, that was it!! I have been in love ever since :pluto:

jillluvsdisney
03-14-2009, 05:53 PM
My first trip was in 1973. I was 18 months old. To this day, my mother refuses to ride the Haunted Mansion. I think i ran away from her on the convayor belt and she's still traumatized about it.:thedolls: We also made some more trips when I was slightly older in the late 70s.

I remember the Electric Light Parade, the penny arcade on Main Street USA, Eastern Airlines was a sponser, they also had the skyglider ride. I rememeber my first time on Space Mountain was with my Uncle Bruce.

The Polynesian had a restaurant called Papete Bay that we ate at. There was a dinner show at the Contemporary called Top of the World. Men had to wear jackets and ties.

I remember going to River Country and you could SWIM in Bay lake. I also remember going to Discovery Island and seeing all kinds of birds.

Downtown Disney was just called Lake Buena Vista and the only character meal was on the Empress Lily riverboat.

drummerboy
03-14-2009, 09:11 PM
Late September, '76. DW and I got married that August, but I couldn't get much time off during that month, so we had a delayed honeymoon.

We stayed in a pup tent in Fort Wilderness. We were young and in love and the ground didn't seem so hard back then. :D The train was running in the campground then, and we rode it to got to River Country on our last day. I've got a picture of it at the station and a picture of the cab interior from inside the first passenger car.

I still have our ticket books with a couple of A and B tickets. I really liked If You Had Wings, and of course, HM. Even going the first time as an adult, the whole thing was fantastic to me. I have one slide that I took looking toward Space Mountain from under the People Mover, and you can only see one other couple walking around. Needless to say, we didn't have many long waits. It was a great time of year to go.

I've also got our ticket stubs from Hoop-do-doo, when it was $12.50 each. We thought we were really being extravagant.

Too many other memories to relate here.

Daddy Mouse
03-15-2009, 07:34 PM
DW camped at FW in 76. She doesn't recall much from the trip. Just little bits and pieces. I had to talk her into going down for our honeymoon. After that she was hooked.

JWB3
03-16-2009, 12:36 PM
Looking back, the idea '1970's memories' is an oxymoron, however, I do remember an early January 1973 winter break trip with a buddy from college. We spent a day in MK and I remember going on Haunted Mansion, 20K Leagues, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. some kind of space mission, and the sky buckets, or whatever they were called. Also remember seeing Space Mountain under construction. But what still stands out most is the memory of watching one of the 7Dwarf characters surrounded and being pulled by the ears in all directions, desperately trying to kick out at the offending kids. He (or she - don't know who was inside the costume) managed to break away without incident, but we were almost in tears laughing so hard at what we thought was part of the act! My how times have changed!

LandFan
03-16-2009, 01:35 PM
I remember 1976 because they had a Bi-Centennial parade and Mickey and Minnie were dresses in period clothing. We stayed in Ft. Wilderness...

We were there then too! We stayed at Ft. Wilderness - I was only like 5. I saw my first "possidilly" there and I thought it was soooo cute - my parents - not so much!! I vaguely remember the parade. I'm sure I went on many rides then too but I just don't remember except for the handful of polaroid pictures we have of it. I only think we stayed for a couple of days - I think we also went to Cape Canaveral and the races (my dad was a nascar fan) too - so it was probably February/Daytona.

I really remember our trip in 1982 a year after EPCOT opened. We stayed in a villa by lake Buena Vista somewhere (not the treetop villas but others) on Disney property. I remember the bus routes with the colored triangles! I got really good at getting around. I remember shopping in what is now probably DTD. We had a character breakfast on the Empress Lilly there too. I remember the original EPCOT rides - for some reason The World of Motion stands out for me - I remember being in a ride car going up the ramp into the building from the outside. I remember the first JIYI with figment and dreamfinder - I fell in love with figment back then. I also remember the luau back then - really cool and much more authentic. I LOVED epcot.

Oh - and grape was better than orange : ) Those juice containers were cool!

RBrooksC
03-17-2009, 08:42 AM
I have some slides from when I was there in 1976 or 1977. I can't remember the year right now. It is amazing to see what characters were prevalent. I saw a lot of The Big, Bad Wolf and the three little pigs. Also, the view from the top of the Contemporary was neat as a shot was taken of the monorail line towards The Grand Floridian. There is nothing there. I will get around to posting them and send a link here.

drummerboy
03-17-2009, 11:00 AM
I saw my first "possidilly" there and I thought it was soooo cute - my parents - not so much!!

One night in the campground, on that first trip, I heard some shuffling in the woods behind us and went searching with my flashlight. When I saw what it was, I told DW, "Hey, there's an armored possum over here." :D

CU Tiger
03-18-2009, 08:51 PM
I was a kid:blush:, but I remember:
-Trying to deal with the tickets and figure out what ride I could ride with each ticket
-"Mr. O" the orange juice guy, walking around
-It was so much easier back then to get to ride in the front of the monorail.
-The real penny and nickel games at FW
-There were only the Poly, contemporary, and FW:mickey:

Katzateer
03-19-2009, 08:44 AM
Our first trip to WDW was in 1975 on our honeymoon. I remember a lot of what other people have posted.

We ate at the Crystal Palace-it was a cafeteria and we thought it was really expensive and split a plate of spagetti with meatballs.

We stayed at a Howard Johnson near Downtown Disney.

Some of my memories run together with memories of my 2 trips to California (went there in 1970 and 1971) - I can remember some of the rides and attractions but wasn't sure what park they were located in.

Thanks for some great memories!

My husband must not have been too impressed-he didn't want to go back to WDW until 1994 - and has enjoyed going with the girls since then!

eam
03-19-2009, 09:28 AM
First visit - March of 1972-Spring break. Drove up from Miami, on our way home to Michigan. Arrived around 12:00, did as much as we could until it closed at midnight, and then drove to Ocala. Were we ever tired. I remember very vividly riding the monorail through the Contemporary Resort, seeing the orange and plastic trees and thinking "I will stay here someday". And I did, in March of 1973. Contemporary wing rate was $32.00 a night. Outrageous!!
This thread is wonderful. It is very emotional for me as I have been going to WDW my whole adult life. Each of my girls went for the first time when they were 5 1/2 months old and they are now 32 and 27. We still hold our breath before entering the Polynesian and then take a deep breath after entering as the smell has never changed and it invokes all kinds of memories for us. When people ask me how I can keep going back, I tell them it is because it is truly my 'Happy place'. I go there to escape, be happy, and continue to make new memories.
Thank you, Intercot, and fellow Disney FANatics.
I will be making new memories in only 33 more weeks!!:mjump::goofy::mjump:

brer frog
03-19-2009, 10:13 AM
Thanks so much for all these wonderful posts. I wasn't born until '84; so I have no memories from the 70s.

It's neat to see how shows have evolved, and that Buzz Lightyear is using the same track and room layout as was there in the 70s

:mickey:

ZippitydoodaGal
03-20-2009, 02:45 PM
My first trip was also in '73 (in April I think) and I was 10 years old. We stayed at the Royal Inn, and loved the L-shaped pool. I can remember getting off the train in Frontierland in a rainstorm. (I think it rained a lot that week.) Another memory is my parents made me ride Dumbo with my little brother - I wasn't happy about it then, but wish I were on Dumbo right now!!