PDA

View Full Version : Disney over Labor Day?

wwebber
01-31-2009, 02:08 PM
I'm planning a trip to Disney Saturday September 5th - Saturday September 12th. I am staying at the Wilderness Lodge. The Monday I am there is Labor Day. I am concerned there will be big crowds over the Labor Day holiday due to people having off from work and maybe a last hoorah before some kids have to go back to school. Has anyone been to the parks over Labor Day weekend? Are the park hours shortened at all due to the holiday? Also, how hot is it there this time of year? I was hoping to travel in October but my travel agent advised me that Disney will most likely offer the free dining promotion if I go in September. Any info helps! Thanks! :thumbsup:

yjgirl32
01-31-2009, 02:56 PM
We are going around the same time as you. We leave on the 2nd and come home on the 12th. Our anniversary falls on the 7th. This is a great ?- I hope you get a lot of responses.

why4k
01-31-2009, 03:19 PM
We went the week of Labor Day last year. Sunday and Monday were quite crowded, but not unbearable. By Tuesday everybody vanished. What was bad was the heat and humidity. 90 degree temps with 90% humidity. We went to Las Vegas in June with 100 degree temps and it wasn't nearly as unpleasent. If I were to go to WDW again in Sep., I'd shoot for later in the month in hopes that it would be a little cooler. Living in the midwest, I thought I knew what humidity was like. I was mistaken.

Itchy
01-31-2009, 03:53 PM
I have been to disney just before the labor day week end and during.

I would go back during this time again without a second thought.

Yes it can get in the low 90's but none of my party had trouble with it and the ages were from 1 yr to mid 50's.

The down side is the uncertainty of hurricanes and tropical storms.

I have been there before and hurricanes and followed out by a hurricane, and during a tropical storm.

I have no issues with either as disney keeps their guest well informed as to current and other possible weather conditions and what protective measures to take.

I have found the crowds were very manageble and had little to no wait on most rides, but as always there are exceptions to the rule. Nothing is perfect.

Hope this helps.:mickey:

6 days and counting till next visit.;)

TinkRocks
01-31-2009, 04:42 PM
Typically, June - November is 'Hurricane Season' here in Florida, and it is normal to expect some rain almost on a daily basis.

As others have mentioned, the humidity is right up there with the temperatures, so it can be uncomfortable if you're not used to it. Heck, I live in Florida and I'm not comfortable with it yet! lol

As long as you keep yourself hydrated and wear lots of sunscreen, you should be ok.

I was in WDW a few years ago over Labor Day weekend to meet up with some friends. What was surreal was that at parade time (3pm), one side of Main Street looked like one of those deserted ghost towns (you know, the ones with the brush whistling by). The deserted side of the street was in direct sunlight and people didn't want to sit in the sun - they were all crowded on the other side of Main Street in the shade. Quite a site, I tell ya!

AllDisney
01-31-2009, 05:06 PM
We were there a couple of years ago during the Labor Day week. We were sooooo lucky. The weather was perfect:thumbsup:

We arrived the Saturday before Labor Day & had a brief shower (30 minutes) while at Hollywood Studios. Later in the week, when we returned to the same park, we experienced another 30 minute shower. That was it for rain for us that week. The temperatures were in the upper 80's during the day and NO humidity. We so lucked out.

I am not sure I would return this time of year again, but we did take advantage of free dining and that was wonderful. I don't think our chances of running into a more perfect week would be high, but then again, who knows?

Have a great time & enjoy!!!

PrettyMinnie
02-01-2009, 05:17 PM
I have not personally been there that week however one of my friends has. They would agree that that weekend and Monday were a little hectic because some local people swing by, but the rest of the week was mellow. I suppose this week would be similar to Memorial Day weekend??

JenniferS.
02-03-2009, 10:02 PM
We have been to Disney the last 3 years in Sept. We usually leave the wed or thurs. right after labor day, so I'm not sure how it will be on that weekend. You should expect the weather to be very, very hot and humid. The crowds are going to be very low. We walked on most rides with no wait and others only had a 10 min wait. We only used fastpasses for Soarin' and Toy Story Mania. You will love it at this time of year. It is all decorated for Halloween!!! As long as you can stand the heat.

DisneyHound
02-03-2009, 10:05 PM
Disney is great any time of year but we have found September to be VERY hot and humid.

Bri
02-04-2009, 04:32 PM
our trip in 2005 ended on labor day. that weekend was more crowded then earlier in our trip but by that time we had already done everything and were exhausted. for our trip in 2006, we got there the day after labor day and it was great. the reason we decided to go after labor day in 2006 was because it was SSSSSSSSSSSSOOOOOOOOOOOO hot and we didn't want to deal with any kind of crowds at all. if i were you, i would just take it easy the first 2 days of your trip and the parks will be empty by tuesday.