PDA

View Full Version : Signature Dining

CaptainHook41
01-31-2009, 01:57 AM
My family just booked us on a trip to the Boardwalk Resort with the Deluxe Dining Plan in May. We want to eat at a few of the Signature Dining Restaurants. Can anyone give suggestions as to any favorites, and what they may have ordered? It's been several years sinc I've been to any of the expensive restaurants in WDW.

DisneyGlutton
01-31-2009, 02:36 AM
:welcome:

With Signature Dining, I'm not sure that you can go wrong (which is a lame, non-helpful answer, but true). Its all about your personal culinary preferences. Since you are staying at Boardwalk, the obvious answer it to make a reservation for Flying Fish, which happens to be one of my top WDW restaurants along with California Grill. I usually get the scallops at both, as I'm a scallop fiend; FF also has excellent crab cakes and CG many sushi options if that's your thing.

Each restaurant has a unique inspiration. For instance, Citricos at Grand Floridian features Mediterranean flavors and Artist Point at Wilderness Lodge features American Northwest flavors (like buffalo). Really, the best way to decide where to go is to take the time to look at the menus. At every place, however, you're pretty much guarenteed to get some sort of steak, fish, and chicken.

Enjoy!!

TheDuckRocks
01-31-2009, 07:04 AM
In Dec. we used the Deluxe DDP to visit signature restaurants and our favorites were Flying Fish, Yachtsman Steakhouse and Narcoosee's.

mouseketeer mom
01-31-2009, 08:41 AM
I agree with the Flying Fish recomendation since you are staying right at the Boardwalk.
I highly recommend Narcoosees at the GF. Every little detail there is top notch, food, service, you name it. Yet it remains friendly and warm. Sitting right on the Seven Seas Lagoon many tables have a view of the castle, and the comings and goings of the lagoon.
Our second choice is the California Grill. Another place with spectacular views and magnificent food.

SBETigg
01-31-2009, 10:08 AM
I love California Grill and Narcoossee's. Anything you order will be fantastic, but I would be sure to try some sushi (if you like that) at Cali Grill and the Sonoma Goat Cheese Ravioli (both count as appetizers). At Narcoossee's, I would definitely try the crab cake (appetizer) and stick to seafood (if you like that, but the filet and chicken are also excellent). I would favor the Maine lobster over the Surf and Turf if you're in mind for some lobster, because the Surf and Turf offers a warm water tail, vastly inferior to the Maine lobster for purists. The cheese plates at both restaurants (appetizers) are also interesting and fun.

Next time, I'm trying Citricos and Jiko, but also returning to California Grill.

CardsFan81
01-31-2009, 04:00 PM
We tried California Grill last time. It was actually my favorite dinner of the whole trip. :blush:

Natazu
01-31-2009, 08:01 PM
Ready for some light reading?

Here's my take on WDW Signature Dining in order of preference:

First, don’t go to CRT. If you must go to CRT, do it for dinner when it’s at least somewhat of a value… almost. There are plenty of princesses to be found at other restaurants, not to mention, Toon Town.

#1 California Grill: If you've been there, you don't need me tell you how wonderful it is. I can't imagine a trip to central Florida without a trip to California Grill. It's our Do-Not-Miss place and has been for a decade – award winning sushi, beautiful seasonal flatbreads, fork-tender (yeah, I said it) filet of beef. Oh, an the Sonoma Goat Cheese Ravioli is worth a trip across the country on its own.

#2 Fying Fish: This place is easy to miss, stuck in a corner of Disney’s Boardwalk. Let me assure you, it deserves a place right in the center of the property. Tantalizing choices of appetizers bursting with the flavors of exotic spices, mouth watering daily soups (Chef Tim’s specialty), and a brilliantly selected degustation of cheeses are just for starters here. The real star of this menu is the long-time favorite, Potato Wrapped Red Snapper in a Veal Glace, Red Wine, and Cassis Butter Sauce but always watch for new items from the creative mind of Tim Keating. Take a seat at the chef’s counter for a real treat (and some free treats) or sit by the window for a great view of The Boardwalk and revel in the radiance of quality.

#3 Citricos: With one of the largest wine cellars in Florida (they share with Vicky’s), Citricos never leaves one parched. And as for food, you’re in good hands with veteran Disney chef Phil Ponticelli. Fantastic culinary creations abound in this highly original Mediterranean menu presented with a distinct Tuscan flare. Don’t forget to save room for desert – Banana Chocolate Torte, Cheesecake, or a wonderful Gratin of seasonal berries.

#4 Jiko: Bring your palate and make sure it’s ready for a workout. Spices most of us have never heard of are the cornerstone Jiko’s unique menu complete with a Mac-n-Cheese that takes two days to make. Don’t be afraid to ask your server or even Chef John to explain some of their more immoderate items. Offering an expansive list of African wines and temping desserts, not to mention a wonderful cheese plate, Jiko will entice you into a spending hours enjoying this dining experience. Plan little else the rest of the evening.

#5 Narcoossee's: The last of the surf-n-turf venues accepting the dining plan, don’t let that novelty lull you into thinking this place is anything short of spectacular. Offering the best seafood bisque I’ve ever tasted, the seafood-centric menu teems with exciting culinary delights. I can’t get enough of the lightly prepared crab cakes, perfectly grilled scallops, and mouth-watering duck egg rolls. And for the sweet tooth, warm chocolate almond gateau. Don’t be afraid to forego the Surf-n-Turf “special” for one of the other entrée choices. While the signature Whole Maine Lobster is fresh, the lobster for the special is previously frozen and the filet medallions for the special are small. At this restaurant, you have to experience the chef’s creations like Crab-Crusted Flounder, Pan-Seared Mahi with orange-honey gastrique, or whatever fish is lucky enough to be prepared with the tomato confit and sherry vinegar reduction.

#6 Artist Point: With a motto like “A celebration of the rich culinary heritage of the Pacific Northwest”, you have a lot to live up to. Artist Point delivers with rustic elegance. Take a moment on the way to take in the wonderfully designed Wilderness Lodge eight story lobby, setting the stage for the beautiful interior of Artist Point, a destination in itself. Cedar Plank Salmon, AP’s crowning achievement and most popular entrée, never fails to thrill salmon lovers. If you’re not into food that swims, there’s buffalo, venison, and beef tenderloin grilled to perfection. Well, the venison isn’t so much grilled as it is blended into spring rolls served with hot sweet and sour sauce, but nonetheless a winning appetizer.

#7 Hollywood Brown Derby: On the dining plan, HBD isn’t that great of a value. Why? Because, as a general rule, this gourmet restaurant is priced well below mean. At CG or Narc, Rachel and I spend around $50 more than we do at the derby, making it a great way to experience first rate dining at moderate out-of-pocket rates (well, for Disney). Don’t miss the Seared Sea Scallop with barbecued Kurabota pork belly and corn relish. Great seafood is the norm at HBD but they can sure fire a cow when then need to. Oh, don’t let them talk you into Grapefruit Cake, though. It kind of bites.

#8 Yachtsman Steakhouse: With cuts of beef presented for your examination through their glass meat cooler, you’d think the beef would be the highest of quality. Truth is, they get their meat from the same place as California Grill. I just don’t think the butcher’s eye at Yachtsman is as good. The service at Yachtsman is a good as the other signature dining places but in my opinion, the food quality has atmospheres to ascend should they want be at the same level as California Grill and Narcoossee’s.

CaptainHook41
02-01-2009, 02:00 AM
Thank you all for your responses. they were extremely helpful!:mickey:

Maleficent's Dad
02-01-2009, 07:04 AM
Yeah - what Jym said.
(How can anyone realistically give a response after that post?) ;)

Hammer
02-01-2009, 11:19 AM
Yeah - what Jym said.
(How can anyone realistically give a response after that post?) ;)

Well, I'm not one to shy away from a challenge! Actually, My opinion differs from Jym on a few of the Signature Dining restaurants:

1) Narcoossee's- This one is tops in my book (though my top three choices are virtually a tie). Every appetizer, entrée and dessert that I have had has been stellar. I loved the duck egg rolls, the bisque, the crab cakes and tuna tartar. The seafood entrées are better here than at Flying Fish (more on that later). Even the much maligned surf and turf is much better than surf and turf dishes I've had in other restaurants around the country, Yes, it is a warm water tail and not Maine lobster, but the meat was was still quite tasty (the true test for me is that I didn't need to use the butter) and is much larger portion than at other restaurants. The filet portion was actually larger this time than the last time I ordered the dish and choron sauce added something special to the dish. The warm chocolate almond gateau and almond cheese cake are some of my favorite desserts at WDW.

2) California Grill- I dream of the pork tenderloin entrée at this restaurant :tasty: ! I defies an accurate description how much I love this dish! I wish I can tell about other dishes there (I did one time order the filet which was excellent as well) but when you find a place which does pork well, you stick with it. I do vary my appetizer choices here, though. I usually order some kind of sushi and it is excellent (I would like to eat one time at Morimoto to see how it stacks up to there). The goat cheese ravioli is great as well. I do miss the chocolate soufflé (which went away around 2002, so don't blame the Dining Plan) they use to serve here, though the varhona chocolate cake is wonderful.

3) Jiko- This is a new entrée to my list and it came on like gangbusters! The ostrich appetizer was prepared well and was flavored nicely by the pomegranate glaze. I ordered the lamb for my entrée and it was probably the best lamb I have ever had. The seasonings used brought out the flavor of the meat and enhanced it without overpowering. My sister had the filet and thought it was excellent, though she thought my lamb was a step above it. The pistachio creme brulee was great as was the Tanzanian Chocolate cheesecake. We will most definitely return!

I have to finish getting ready for church and will finish my rating sometime later today...

Hammer
02-01-2009, 04:29 PM
Back from Church and grocery shopping (not done at the same time, mind you ;)) to complete my list.

4) Hollywood Brown Derby- I have this so high on my list as I really find the food to be well prepared and of excellent quality. I do not, however, think it is a good use of 2 TS credits on the Dining Plan and recommend paying out of pocket to eat here. I have eaten here for both lunch and dinner. When eating lunch here, I usually forgo the appetizer and order the Cobb Salad as the portion is large and I like to leave room for dessert. I absolutely love the double vanilla bean creme brulee at the Brown Derby and eat it for dessert whether I'm having lunch or dinner. For dinner, my favorite choice of entrée is the Pan Fried Grouper. Appetizer usually is an individual portion of the Cobb Salad (the menu says for 2 but they will make a smaller portion for a reduced price), the crab cake or the bisque. All appetizers have been solid, but nothing exceptional. I already told you that my dessert here is almost always the double vanilla bean creme brulee. The one time it was not on the menu :( I had the flourless chocolate cake, which was very good.

5)Artist Point- this would actually be lower if I was basing my review of Citricos on a more recent dining experience. This restaurant, while still good, is not as good as it once was. This is the 1 Signature Dining experience which I feel has been negatively effected by the Dining Plan, though it could also be attributed to the changing of chefs. I found that the best appetizer here is not the portabello mushroom soup, which is good but we make just as good of a mushroom soup at home, but the Braised Penn Cove Mussels. The salmon is the entrée dish to order here. They prepare it medium, but they will cook it more if prefer. Regarding dessert, I have had decent desserts here, but nothing I am that wild about and most of the choices I liked are gone now anyway. My opinion might be different if I liked berry cobbler.

6) Flying Fish- This also might be lower if had a recent experience with Citricos. I ate here for the first time this past October. I had the signature dish of the potato wrapped red snapper, as I love red snapper. While it was tasty, it wasn't to the level I expect of a signature dish. The red wine reduction did not add anything to really enhance the red snapper. My sister had a Special Thunder entrée, the Pasta Frutti di Mare. She said it was good, but nothing about it was above average. The have actually changed the dessert menu and the chocolate dessert that Jym raves about is no longer there. None of the other options excited us to eat the extra calories (not a fan of most fruity desserts). Also, our service was not that great. Our server did not do anything to negatively detract from his tip, he just was not very attentive to our table, concerning himself more with the table of businessmen next to us, as her figured they would be better tippers. We were using the DDE for the meal (though we had not told him that) so he did not get any extra over the 18%. At all of the other signature restaurants we ate at in October (Narcoossee's, California Grill and Jiko) received additional tips above the 18% for their service.

6) Yachtsmen Steakhouse- Here again, nothing was actually bad here, just nothing stood out. Too be fair, the last time we ate here was in 2000, but as we have renowned steakhouses to choose from in Philadelphia and New York (where my sister lives) as well as Bern's in Tampa, we are in no rush to try it again.

7) Citricos- You may wonder why I have it so far down on the list. It has nothing to do with the food, which was great when we ate here in 2000. The service, however, was atrocious. I have never had a waiter be so rude to me and act like I had no business eating in an establishment. We were properly attired for a fine dining restaurant, even before there was a dress code. I mean, I'm one of the people who thinks the dress code should be stricter for signature dining! His attitude and manner to us has made me very cautious of giving this restaurant another chance, but we are considering it for this fall's trip. Stay tuned to see if it moves up ;).

CaptainHook41
02-02-2009, 11:55 PM
I appreciate that last run down as well. That definitely effects a few of my plans.

Natazu
02-03-2009, 01:02 AM
Back from Church and grocery shopping Church shopping?

Stickey
02-03-2009, 12:40 PM
Jiko- filet mignon

JavaDuck
02-07-2009, 12:57 PM
I've been to only one Signature Restaurant in WDW. That would be California Grill. We had requested seating at the Chef's counter, but there was no room, but they offered seats at the very small sushi counter. Talking with Yoshi was one of the highlights of my trip. All of the food is amazing. When people say it's excellent sushi, they are not giving it enough credit. I eat sushi on a regular basis and Yoshi's sushi is one of the best things I have ever had. The rest of the meal was amazing as well. We definitely will be back.

Crow
02-08-2009, 02:46 AM
Artist Pt
Salmon, buffalo or beef...and the mushroom soup
Ca Grill
sushi and flatbread

LarryBoy
02-10-2009, 10:39 AM
The only one I have been to is the California Grill. Their food was absolutely wonderful and the view is second to none. If you go there make sure you are there during Wishes. It's really the only place you can see WDW and especially the MK from up high like that. It's truly breath taking.