PDA

View Full Version : Le Cellier Compared to Non Disney Steak Places

Goes4FastPass
01-30-2009, 03:55 PM
For many people Le Cellier is one of their favorite restaurants.

We've never eaten there - we've just always thought we could get something more unusual elsewhere in Epcot - but I'm ready to (try to) book it.

My question is, how does the food at Le Cellier compare to your favorite steak place back home?

Put another way, there are many fine steak places withing walking distance of my desk but I have to go to Orlando to ride Expedition Everest - but to hear some people talk, Le Cellier is one of the reasons they go to Central Florida.

SBETigg
01-30-2009, 04:28 PM
Le Cellier is decent. You won't be disappointed. But I'm honestly surprised when people are blown away by it. We've had good meals there, but we've had better meals at other places. I would say the consistency is probably one of the main things it has going for it. You hear about people loving it, and then people having my sort of reaction, but you rarely hear of anyone having a truly awful meal.

The Cheddar Cheese soup is somewhat unique and something to try. The steaks are comparable to any middle-grade steakhouse, but not quite up to the standards of a top-of-the-line steakhouse for me. It's no Morton's, but it's not Outback, either. Better than your average Steak chain, but not quite on par with a more upscale steak place.

dmosher
01-30-2009, 04:30 PM
I wouldn't travel all of the way to Fl just for a steak at Le Cellier, however if your there anyway the steaks are quite good.

I am a steak lover and get one any chance I get. Now granted the beef does taste better here than any I ever had in the states, however the ones at Le Cellier have always been low on side fat, tender and marinated perfectly.

I have seen other reviews saying that their steak was OK, boring, or terrible; but the MANY times I have eaten there I have NEVER had a bad experience. Add to it the amazing potatoes and incredible bread sticks plus the atmosphere and you will see why Le Cellier is a must try place when visiting WDW.
:pipes:
D

Strmchsr
01-30-2009, 04:30 PM
I think Sherri summed it up well. Honestly, we don't go for the steak. I really enjoy the Prime Rib, but it's the Chedder Cheese soup that makes us go there. DW absolutely loves it. However, I now have the recipe and DW says my soup is as good or better than Le Cellier's so we may avoid the headache of trying for an ADR there next time.

MississippiDisneyFreak
01-30-2009, 04:51 PM
We'll the mushroom risotto filet is different than what I'd find at my local steak house and my mom swears her salt crust prime rib was the best she ever had. Although very good,I have had better steak locally...

I would agree with the previous posters and say that's not really why it stands out...the soup and maple creme brulee put it over the "average" for me.

DizneyRox
01-30-2009, 04:59 PM
By WDW standards, Le Cellier is OK. But honestly, it's on par with your local Outback IMHO.

I don't go nuts if I can't get a table, that's for sure.

crazeedizneefinatic
01-30-2009, 05:03 PM
Agree with above posters. Nothing to kill yourself over getting a reservation. In fact the first time we were there it was so bad, the steak was awful, full of gristle. This past trip we tried again and it was good but on both trips the service was just plain mediocre. This past trip we had the waitress smack my sons hand (not in a joking way) away telling him the breadsticks were hot. He's 8 and honestly they really were not that hot. Needless to say that set the tone with us. We only book the place because we need 10 sit down dinners and my party is not too adventureous. Steak usually fits us.

If your in the mood for a steak and have not done it try it once. You might hit it on a good night.

JavaDuck
01-30-2009, 05:56 PM
The overall experience is what sold me on Le Cellier. Everypart of my meal (the cheddar cheese soup, the mushroom fillet, and the creme brulee, and of course the pretzel breadsticks) were amazing. Our server was great as well.

I would say the steaks are better than the local Outback type steak house. As good as a top end steak house, probably not.

We enjoyed it so much that we are planning on eating there twice for trip this coming August.

RedSoxFan
01-30-2009, 06:04 PM
I had steak at LeCellier and at Raglan Road during my trip in October. The steak at Raglan Road was SO MUCH better than LeCellier. LeCellier was good; but it did not live up to the hype and I probably will not eat there again anytime soon.

Cheloconnell
01-30-2009, 10:01 PM
For my DH and I, it is our favorite place in WDW. We have not had a bad meal there and in fact in two weeks we have 3 ressies for there and in April we have 4. We looooooove it there. The filet is the best I have ever tasted - cooked and seasoned perfectly. A must for our family :thumbsup:

lockedoutlogic
01-30-2009, 10:18 PM
By WDW standards, Le Cellier is OK. But honestly, it's on par with your local Outback IMHO.

I don't go nuts if I can't get a table, that's for sure.

money....

Shula's is 10 times better....and honestly, you'd get a better steak in Orlando at Charlie's

ibelieveindisneymagic
01-31-2009, 12:32 AM
We're another family that is on the fence with Le Cellier. It's good, but not THAT good. We've had good meals here, but nothing special that you couldn't get somewhere else...but I do love the maple creme brulee. :cloud9:

Mendelson
01-31-2009, 04:13 PM
Went there once on our most recent trip and my wife's steak was too salty (?) and just okay. The filet at Narcoossee's was much, much better. Probably won't be back to LC.

queen bee
02-01-2009, 08:16 AM
I would give Le Cellier a qualified "thumbs up". The steak is good but I have had better, in some cases much better. They do have a few items that are unique and worth a try (as mentioned by previous posters).
We like it because our kids (ages 13 and 9) are picky eaters and our meals there always seem to satisfy discerning tastes. When paying $100 for a meal, I like to at least not have to deal with complaints.:thumbsup:

jcvalenti
02-01-2009, 10:22 AM
Quite honestly, I never understood the hype for Le Celier. I have eaten at a lot of steak houses accross the US. I travel a lot for business and often my colleagues in other citiies take me out to dinner at what are considered some of the best steakhouse, like Ruth's Chris, Mortons, Shula's, Ditka's, Flemings, Chicago Chop House, etc.

In my opinion, Le Celier is average at best ... if not a little below. It used to be better, but over the last 5 years, it is clearly going downhill (as are most Disney restaurants, IMHO) The ambience is nice and the staff is friendly, and it's not a bad place to eat, but the quality of the meat is not the best, and the prices have soared into ridiculous territory for what you get.

Last time I was at Disney we had steaks at Le Celier, the Coral Reef and California Grill, and Le Celier was the worst of the lot by far. In fact, the NY Strip I had at the Coral Reef (which is cheaper and easier to get into at Epcot) was far better. Furthermore, the wine list at Coral Reef was a lot more diverse and more fairly priced.

Overall, it's a nice place to visit because of the friendly staff, but I certainly wouldn't consider it a significant dining experience for anyone who dines out on a regular basis.

DisneyDoug2
02-03-2009, 12:17 PM
We ate at LeCellier last week and DW & DD liked the steaks, DS and I had the prime rib and did not like it at all. It was very tough and had little flavor. If you go stay with the steaks and the cheese soap (best thing on thier menu).

KatMark
02-03-2009, 12:20 PM
The Cheddar Cheese soup is somewhat unique and something to try. The steaks are comparable to any middle-grade steakhouse, but not quite up to the standards of a top-of-the-line steakhouse for me. It's no Morton's, but it's not Outback, either. Better than your average Steak chain, but not quite on par with a more upscale steak place.

I agree with this. We find it far above Outback or Lonestar, but not on par with some of the best steakhouses we have in Chicago. That being said, we can't afford most of the steakhouses in Chicago these days, and we look forward to our meal at LeCellier every year--we've both always had a perfectly cooked and delicious steak and great service.

Goes4FastPass
02-03-2009, 12:53 PM
... If you go stay with the steaks and the cheese soap (best thing on thier menu).

Ummm cheese soap, the appetizer you can wash your face with...

JPL
02-03-2009, 01:49 PM

I agree the quality has dropped off over the years. Before the DDP and before it was widely popular the quality of the steaks was much higher. Now it seems to be your average steakhouse.

DawsonAR
02-03-2009, 03:45 PM
We found it to be good, but not great. We have eaten there three or four different times.

NJGIRL
02-03-2009, 04:53 PM
I too have never understood all of the hype about this place. Our meal there was OK but nothing to rave about.

WishingStar2006
02-03-2009, 05:08 PM
Ummm cheese soap, the appetizer you can wash your face with...

TOOOOO funny!!! :rotfl::rotfl::funny::funny::rotfl: We love the cheddar cheese soup, the pretzel breadsticks, the maple cream brule and the shrimp appetizer..........YUM!

Septbride2002
02-03-2009, 05:57 PM
We find the food there to be good - especially the cheese soup which I think is extremely tasty. I find the steaks to be on par with the steaks I've had here in St. Louis but lets be honest I don't typically go out and spend $30 to $40.00 on a steak - so maybe I haven't experienced the nirvana that is a kobe steak. :cloud9:

For Disney food - Le Celliers is one of the better places to eat in my opinion.

~Amanda

JPL
02-04-2009, 08:33 AM
I too have never understood all of the hype about this place. Our meal there was OK but nothing to rave about.

The hype started when it was actually a premiere dining location unfortunately the DDP and it's popularity have been it's downfall. The menu has been scaled back along with protion sizes and quality of the steaks has dropped off from very good to average. This all started around 2005-06.

Bri
02-04-2009, 04:19 PM
we ate at le cellier for the first time this past december. the food was great. i got the mushroom ravioli's and my fiance got one of their steaks. we will got back there again. but my fiance swears that narccoossee's has THE BEST steak he's ever had. he can't stop talking about it.

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
02-04-2009, 04:27 PM
Le Cellier.....great in 01 and 04. It was too busy in Jan. so we ended up at Coral Reef.

Better than our local steak restaurants, non-chain....It can't even touch Morgan's or Capt. Ratty's. Better than our chain steak restaurants....yes a bit. But I've not been to eat there since the dining plan is supposed to have dragged down all the table service restaurants.

DisneyGlutton
02-06-2009, 01:25 PM
The hype started when it was actually a premiere dining location unfortunately the DDP and it's popularity have been it's downfall. The menu has been scaled back along with protion sizes and quality of the steaks has dropped off from very good to average. This all started around 2005-06.

Haha, so it started going downhill when I and the other dining plan hoi polloi started showing up. For a 1 TS locations its pretty good, especially the cheese soup, but its not overwhelmingly unique. If you can get a good steak at home, I would go elsewhere. The atmosphere is nothing special, unlike a place like Coral Reef or Marakkesh.

RocknBev
02-09-2009, 08:20 AM
Let's remember we are at Disney....we are not eating at Morton's or Bone's (in Atlanta....my favorite). It is the whole experience...eating in the cellier...the friendly staff, the soup, the seasoning on the steak (definitely better than any chain) and the desserts!

We really enjoy Le Cellier. Yes, it is one of our favorites, but I can see how you can sometimes get a not up to par meal. We also love Rose and Crown and frequent it regularly but have on one occassion gotten a not up to par meal.

IMO, I am glad it is not everyone's favorite. I don't want ya'll to change your minds...it is hard enough to get an ADR's now! There are lots of places for all to choose from but I do believe it is a bit unfair to say you will get a better steak at OCharleys.

Keep those questionable reviews of LeCellier coming....more ADR's for me!:secret:

oliver&bianca
02-09-2009, 09:55 AM
:mickey3:

It is not a restaurant that our family would recommend, especially if you have picky eaters.
That is not to say we hated it. We just would consider it as a "been there, done that" restaurant.