PDA

View Full Version : Mendelson - Day 3 & Soarin' and the WS

Mendelson
01-29-2009, 10:22 AM
Me - 34
Wifey - 39
Daughter - 15
First trip in about five years!

Saturday we went to Epcot and went right for Soarin’. Here’s the only place we experienced any “line cutting.” In general, as this was discussed earlier, I don’t have much of a problem when it’s one member(s) of a family moving up to meet another due to a bathroom break or what have you. But the way a lot of people approached this is that husband goes to get the fast pass and wife gets in line. Husband then, after being in FP distrib line for five minutes, moves way up in line past people to get to wife. I’d never raise a stink about this or let it bug me but I just don’t think it’s right. You make a choice how you’re going to spend your time – if you’re at dinner at Epcot, you’re not at Wishes, if you’re in line for Everest, you’re not watching ITTBAB…sometimes the way you choose to spend your time affects me (and all other park goers). Because we’re all dealing with each other as part of a crowd, your choices to go where I’m not (and vice versa) impact my experience (and vice versa). Part of this calculation and the “fairness” of it is that we can’t be in two places at once – if you have an ADR at the Brown Derby, that’s one less person I have to worry about taking an available table at 50s PTC. But when you choose to send someone to hold your spot in line and then get in line to get FP, you are essentially putting yourself in two places at once, which I don’t like. I just think that people who have any shame or sense of selflessness wouldn’t do this...it takes a big old sense of entitlement to think this is okay, but just my two cents. And again, I’m all hakuna matata at WDW.

All that said, I thought Soarin’ was just okay. It’s a neat ride and all, and we liked it and rode it twice, but I would never stand in line for more than say, 30 minutes for it. Either park opening or FP, but that’s it. It’s not like it immediately shot its way up into my top 10 rides, certainly. In fact, we rode Soarin’, and then did the Land ride (at wife’s request) and then Soarin’ again, and by 10:15 I thought I was ready for a nap!

Loved Turtle Talk…what great technology. Halfway through MS it broke down and we got an FP to come back. Then it was off to the WS.

I felt we really got our money’s worth in the WS: we saw Off Kilter, the British Invasion (first time for each), the Dragon Acrobats, the Japanese drummers and the French “waiter.” This guy scares the you-know-what out of me. I realize he’s done this hundreds and hundreds of times, but seeing him do those handstands on top of all those chairs way up in the air, makes me just not want to watch. It’s incredible, but frightening! No Miyuki on this day, unfortunately.

We ate at The Coral Reef on Saturday night. I made this reservation primarily because I thought it’d be neat to eat near the aquarium, but after we went into the Mexico pavilion, my daughter and I remembered how much we liked this place and I wanted to eat at San Angel…I don’t think this place gets great reviews, but I wanted to sit in the atmosphere in there…but no luck on openings. Coral Reef was okay, with the dessert as a highlight with the mousse and crème brulee.

SBETigg
01-29-2009, 10:46 AM
I love hearing about WS, what fun! Soarin is one of my favorites now, but I would only wait so long for it, too. A shame about the line-cutters. It can be aggravating. I know San Angel Inn gets lots of flack, but my family always enjoys it. Coral Reef, on the other hand, not one we'll try again. But I'm glad it was okay for you.

mouseketeer mom
01-29-2009, 12:36 PM
We're in the group that really enjoys San Angel Inn as well.
Like your take on line cutters. Very nice. Thanks for the report!

dtootsie42
01-29-2009, 01:21 PM
We also love San Angel Inn. The atmopshere is wonderful!

Love your two cents on line cutters!

yourmagicalguide
01-29-2009, 03:01 PM
Saturday we went to Epcot and went right for Soarin’. Here’s the only place we experienced any “line cutting.” [...] When you choose to send someone to hold your spot in line and then get in line to get FP, you are essentially putting yourself in two places at once, which I don’t like.

I couldn't agree more. Some people are in such a huge hurry to go places and see events that they're missing the true Disney experience. Shame, really, but at least you kept your cool and didn't really let it effect your day.

I thought Soarin’ was just okay. It’s a neat ride and all, and we liked it and rode it twice, but I would never stand in line for more than say, 30 minutes for it.

I think Soarin's appeal depends on the person. I love the feel of flying, and Soarin' is as close to the real thing as I'm probably going to get, so I enjoy it immensely. I especially love to smell the oranges :)

We ate at The Coral Reef on Saturday night. I made this reservation primarily because I thought it’d be neat to eat near the aquarium, but after we went into the Mexico pavilion, my daughter and I remembered how much we liked this place and I wanted to eat at San Angel…I don’t think this place gets great reviews, but I wanted to sit in the atmosphere in there…

My family ate at San Angel Inn two visits ago, and I can't say that I'm making plans to eat there a second time. The atmosphere there is incredible, and I love visiting Mexico for the opportunity to indulge in it, but the dining experience for us was less than desired, because: they lost our reservation (making us have to wait a good 45 minutes - but, at that time, we really didn't mind the wait), our waiter was hurried and unfriendly, the food was average, and we felt incredibly rushed to leave. The icing on the cake was when the waiter snatched the chips and salsa off our table while my dad was obviously still eating them while the rest of us were finishing our meals. I've read great reviews from others who loved the entire dining experience at San Angelo Inn, though, so I would say suggest giving it a try if you have the opportunity to.

Great report! :mickey:

PrettyMinnie
01-29-2009, 09:28 PM
Kudos for the hakuna matata attitude, I agree, line-cutting is tactless.

yjgirl32
01-30-2009, 09:33 AM
I love Coral Reef- just for the atmosphere- plus it keeps my ds5 occupied while we wait for our food. I am hoping they still do special menus- so I can surprise my DFIL for his birthday.

faline
01-30-2009, 11:10 AM
Another fan of San Angel Inn here! Sorry you couldn't get in!

You really did make the most of your tour around the "World"!

pdrlkr
02-01-2009, 11:10 AM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey: