PDA

View Full Version : Feeling pretty nervous - like everybody else - could use just a wee bit of pixie dust

Dsnygirl
01-29-2009, 09:40 AM
Today, before he left for work, my DH told me that his company had had trouble coming up with payroll for this week. :faint: He's mentioned this before, but not for quite awhile -- but apparently, this has been the lay of the land for awhile now, and he's just kept quiet about it b/c it hasn't seemed as critical as this past near miss did.

We've known for quite awhile that his company is struggling -- he works for a small, local homebuilder as an estimator (the guy who does the financials and the ordering, etc.) -- so most of the employees are privy to what's going on at any given time.

What scares me most is that in today's market/economy, it's not likely that he's going to find another homebuilder who needs him, at least not in this area. In fact, from what he knows of the other builders around here, his company is the only one that uses an estimator.

We've always known that to "move up" in his field, we'd probably need to move down south where there are more builders and more building going on... and we've never minded that option, we're tired of NY winters and would like to live where we hope to retire someday. (and of course, being driving distance from Disney, even if it was 10 hours or so, would be perfect... :thumbsup:) But now is not the time to be job hunting in ANY field, really, let alone home building!

So, any pixie dust anyone has left out there that his company can get through this, or that he's able to talk to someone elsewhere and find something would be awesome. I know there are so many of us in this position... I wish the best for everyone else out there who is struggling, too!! :magic:

coloradowendyl
01-29-2009, 09:52 AM
My thoughts are definitely with you and will crosss fingers and toes. My hubby works in high tech and we have ridden this "roller coaster" many times!

As stressful as it is for the person potentially facing the layoff, I sometimes think it is worse for the spouse because you are just that much more out of the loop and feel even more like you are not in control of your destiny!

Hoping for the best for you!
Wendy

laprana
01-29-2009, 10:19 AM
Sending lots of :pixie::pixie::pixie: that everything works out all right for you!!

Strmchsr
01-29-2009, 10:39 AM
Lots of :pixie: for you guys. Hope it all works out.

SBETigg
01-29-2009, 10:40 AM
Prayers for your family, and for everyone unemployed and facing unemployment. These are tough times, and it is scary.

:pixie: :pixie:

TinkerbellT421
01-29-2009, 11:01 AM
:pixie::pixie::pixie:Sending tons of prayers and pixie dust your way that you get through this. IMHO it wouldnt hurt to definitely keep your eyes open for a job opportunity.

RedSoxFan
01-29-2009, 11:25 AM
:pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie: for you Blythe that everything goes OK.

justice11
01-29-2009, 11:37 AM
i need the same today is my son-in-laws birthday and they told him he is laid off, my nieces husband got laid off this and my sister husband is laid off from gm. i am so sad for everyone in this economy. none of these guys has never not had a job. good luck to you and your husband.

pogo
01-29-2009, 11:59 AM
OK........... you made me log in for this one. ;)

I'm sorry you are getting worried about this again. Dan is a good man and he will be one of the last ones they let go. Maybe they will ask for people to take a voluntary pay cut until spring when they can start building homes again. And if they do lay him off..... you'll just have to pick up some more overtime.

Don't make any snap decisions. Wait until something happens and then re-act to it.

Plan for the lay off just in case it happens...... save some cash... maybe push your October WDW trip off for another year :faint: (sorry)..... step up your Ebay activity.... and get a feel for what might happen.

I know you and Dan can handle anything life throws at you. You are good strong people.

:pixie: and :hug: to you and every one that needs it ! :D

beksy
01-29-2009, 01:25 PM
:pixie::pixie: and :hug: for you and everybody else being laid off, cut back, etc. during this difficult time. You are in my thoughts and I hope things improve soon.

Nascfan
01-29-2009, 05:15 PM
Blythe, sending lots of :pixie: for you and Dan.

Disneyatic
01-29-2009, 05:15 PM
:pixie: to you that everything works out as well as possible with your DH's job :pixie:
This is such a scary time for so many and I hope we all start seeing light at the end of the tunnel sooner rather than later.

Melanie
01-29-2009, 05:50 PM
Blythe, I'm very sorry to hear of your worries. :pixie: that it all works out! Hey, I know in NC around where I'm from, housing is still quite strong. And it's only about 10 hours from Disney. :thumbsup:

meldan98
01-29-2009, 08:09 PM
I can sure sympathize with the OP. My payday was on 1/21 and I just go my check today because they couldn't make payroll. My boss told us to hang on to our checks until tomorrow so they would clear. UGH!!! Our next pay period ends on the 31 and I wonder if they will make that payroll. Don't they get in trouble if they can't make payroll? Don't they owe us interest or something???

crazypoohbear
01-29-2009, 08:56 PM
Sending you good wishes and lots of pixie dust. This is such a hard time the country is going through right now.

All I can think of on a "bright side" is that our parents went through the depression and they all survived and became stronger and more resourceful and self sufficient because of it.

Hopefully we won't go deeper into the hole as a country and things will work out for everyone.

crazypoohbear
01-29-2009, 08:58 PM
I can sure sympathize with the OP. My payday was on 1/21 and I just go my check today because they couldn't make payroll. My boss told us to hang on to our checks until tomorrow so they would clear. UGH!!! Our next pay period ends on the 31 and I wonder if they will make that payroll. Don't they get in trouble if they can't make payroll? Don't they owe us interest or something???

Call the bank the check is drawn on first thing in the morning to see if funds are available. If they are, go cash your check right away, they might not have enough to cover every check written. Get yours cashed right away.
Don't deposit it in your account, cash it first, if it bounces it will cost you money.
I wish you good luck as well.
Sending everyone pixie dust out there.

Dsnygirl
01-30-2009, 12:06 AM
Blythe, I'm very sorry to hear of your worries. :pixie: that it all works out! Hey, I know in NC around where I'm from, housing is still quite strong. And it's only about 10 hours from Disney. :thumbsup:
Funny, that's where we're considering heading when the economy gets a little better and jobs are a bit more plentiful in his field... if you know any good builders, let me know... :thumbsup:

All I can think of on a "bright side" is that our parents went through the depression and they all survived and became stronger and more resourceful and self sufficient because of it.

That is honestly a good way to look at it... I'd thought of something similar, but I like the way you put it. It's something good to remember!! :)

Jeff G
01-30-2009, 09:52 AM
Sending :pixie: to your family Blythe.

On a bright note for Dan mortgage interest rates are extremely low and are expected to go lower this spring. My applications are way up from just a few months ago and I have noticed a huge influx with calls for both purchases and construction. If rates stay in the low 5's or dip lower (many feel they will) we should see a sizable jump in building activity soon. If Dan's company has been able to weather the last two years during the worst construction down turn in recent history it says a lot about the company. In our are 2/3 of all builders went out of business. Better times lay ahead for those who were able to get through.

As Tom said above (is that his name?) don't make an snap decisions. Be patient, don't panic but start preparing just in case.

tinktude
02-09-2009, 09:28 PM
I totally understand, my company just laid off 60% of it's employees last week. I was very nervous and sweating bullets all week waiting to hear if I was still going to have a job.

I was lucky to make it though this round, but if our company doesn't rebound by april, the rest of us may be out of a job as well. Total number laid off is estimated to be about 700.

Dsnygirl
02-10-2009, 09:13 AM
On a bright note for Dan mortgage interest rates are extremely low and are expected to go lower this spring. My applications are way up from just a few months ago and I have noticed a huge influx with calls for both purchases and construction. If rates stay in the low 5's or dip lower (many feel they will) we should see a sizable jump in building activity soon. If Dan's company has been able to weather the last two years during the worst construction down turn in recent history it says a lot about the company. In our are 2/3 of all builders went out of business. Better times lay ahead for those who were able to get through.

As Tom said above (is that his name?) don't make an snap decisions. Be patient, don't panic but start preparing just in case.
Thanks so much for the note... to be honest, we hadn't quite thought about his company in the way you mentioned, and it was good food for thought re: the fact that they're still around after all the housing market has been through. So thank you for giving us that new perspective!! :thumbsup: We're hoping the interest rates and the anticipated purchase tax credit will help continue moving things in a positive direction... seems his company has been meeting w/ banks & creditors to work out new terms, etc., and so far, so good. Keeping my :fingers:!!

(and yes, his name is Tom. :))

I totally understand, my company just laid off 60% of it's employees last week. I was very nervous and sweating bullets all week waiting to hear if I was still going to have a job.

I was lucky to make it though this round, but if our company doesn't rebound by april, the rest of us may be out of a job as well. Total number laid off is estimated to be about 700.
Thank goodness you made it through... I will keep my :fingers: for you, as well, that things get better before they have to make more decisions like that!!