PDA

View Full Version : Kona Cafe

DisNut
01-28-2009, 06:48 AM
We have dining ressies for Kona Cafe at the end of March. :mickey:

Any suggestions on what's really great there (a not to miss) and if anything, what we should pass on.

We're really looking forward to our trip since we're sitting in about 5" of newly fallen snow!:snowball:

(51 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) :nemo:

katzctkpt
01-28-2009, 06:59 AM
We ate there a couple weeks ago and the food was ok. My husband had the shrimp and scallops and the portion size was quite small compared to what meals we have gotten from other restaurants at Disney. I think he got 3 shrimp and 3 scallops and a scoop of sticky rice. My daughter and I split the Pan-Asian Noodles, again the serving size was quite small and definately not a plate to share as stated before most disney restaurants we have shared and was quite full. I really liked the atmosphere at the restaurant and definately want to try it again.

Enjoy!

DisneyGlutton
01-28-2009, 07:31 AM
Pass on: the shrimp and coconut curry soup was an unfortunate miss

Don't miss: the Polynesian Plate Lunch (Chicken w/peanut sauce) was a surprise hit with us and a good size for lunch, and the Banana-Chocolate Creme Brulee is good too

I disagree with the atmosphere being good though. Its sort of dumped on the second floor of the atrium and thus is fairly noisy, without a nice view to compensate even. However, its def. still worth going for the food!

GoofyMom09
01-28-2009, 07:56 AM
Kona Cafe was one of our favorite dinners on our last trip. Everything was great, we all got something different. I remember the steak and pot stickers being really good. The service was also the best of our trip! I think you will have a good time there.

SBETigg
01-28-2009, 08:15 AM
The appetizers were the best thing when we went. Our meals were truly some of the worst we've had, bland and tasteless. The desserts were only okay. I would skip everything and go elsewhere. The food, the atmosphere, and the service were all awful for us. Other people seem to have a much higher opinion, so we must have had the off-nights of off-nights at Kona. I much prefer Grand Floridian Cafe. Best wishes for getting the Kona people rave about instead of the one I ended up in.

CanadianWDWFan
01-28-2009, 08:16 AM
It is one of our favourite places to eat. My DW fav is the Crab cakes, she says that they are to die for. Oh, and save room for dessert! They also have some of the best coffee on site.

mouseketeer mom
01-28-2009, 08:19 AM
I'm guessing you mean for dinner..although breakfast at Kona is fantastic too. The sticky wings are an appetizer we always order, and I'm partial to the teriyaki steak, my family loves the pan asian noodle bowls.
Here's the best part of Kona for us: The BREAD! Its light and fluffy and comes with a macadamia nut/pineapple juice butter that is heavenly with this bread. I'm not usually a bread girl, and I would go to Kona's just for their bread and butter.

MississippiDisneyFreak
01-28-2009, 08:22 AM
You didn't say which meal, so I'll give you my opinion on our breakfast....IT was fabulous...we had an excellent server named Gary who explained the menu items we were interested in....he even noticed our MS accent and offered my son grits with his steak and eggs instead of potatoes....I had Tonga Toast which is good and definitely different and I think the best was my mom's big Kahuna...which comes with eggs, bacon and ham, potatoes,and the macadamia nut pancakes...did I mention the coffee, it was the real stuff and really good, our server even fixed us cups to go....this ended being our second favorite meal of our trip.:):thumbsup:

PetefromRI
01-28-2009, 08:40 AM
We go for breakfast every trip and split a Tonga Toast and pressed pot of Kona coffee.It works for us every trip.As far as dinner,I love the shrimp and scallop combo.As another poster said,it's not a huge portion,but it's still very good.The pan asian noodle bowl is also very good.We like the atmosphere although it can get a little noisy.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
01-28-2009, 08:59 AM
I've eaten there several times and never had anything to make me say never again.

The Tonga Toast for Breakfast.

Steak for dinner. Also, Sticky Wings. The soup was really good, not too spicy. The lava chocolate dessert and the creme brulee are best desserts.

prttynpnk
01-28-2009, 12:23 PM
I had the Tuna Oscar in december and liked it very much. We didn't lve it the first time, but decembers visit was so favorable it's going back into the rotation.:mickey:

Marymouse2003
01-28-2009, 12:27 PM
We've been MANY times. Had just about everything mentioned, except the coffee(cant have caffeine) but heard it's the best. We loved EVERYTHING we've had. Tonga toast,the bread,the steak,......:cloud9::cloud9: now I'm hungry!! It's on our list every time. I agree about the bad/lack of atmosphere and noise, but the food keeps us going back. Oh, the deserts!!!!!:cloud9::cloud9: I gotta get outta here. Enjoy!!
Oh, we've done brkfst & dinner. Best brkfst to me on property.

Stitchahula
01-28-2009, 12:34 PM
I remember the bread and butter from when I went. It was sooo good I would've been happy with just that. Got the wings and steak and was really happy with everything. The food was really good when we went but the service was really bad.

huzzah4
01-28-2009, 12:43 PM
The bread and butter are the best in WDW. I was about to ask the waiter for a big vat of the butter to roll around in, but my wife would not let me.

Septbride2002
01-28-2009, 01:09 PM
This was YUMMY!
Stir-Fried Asian Noodles with sliced chicken, seasonal vegetables and sweet and sour sauce $15.99; available as a vegetarian entree upon request.

dolphinmickey9170
01-28-2009, 01:28 PM
As picky eaters, we were a bit skeptical. However, the chef did not disappoint. We asked for the filet with teriyaki sauce, the mashed potatoes and broc. My friend had the asian noodles and her hubby had the teriyaki steak. I do not recall what the kids had, but everyone was pleased. The food was excellent. The desserts were such wonderful choices that I couldn't decide which one to have. So we all shared. DELICIOUS!!!!!!

elmjimmlm
01-28-2009, 02:55 PM
I had the noodle bowl with shrimp and it was great...The portion size was enough for 2...My DH had the ter. steak and loved it too...The white choc. cheesecake was the best of all...I want to go back and do the breakfast next time so if you do it then let us know how it was...:thumbsup:

Utopia74
01-28-2009, 06:17 PM
They must only give you bread & butter at dinner, because we definetely did not get any for lunch!

I highly recommend the Chocolate Banana Creme Brulee for dessert however.

tiggerandpooh63
01-28-2009, 08:47 PM
Me and my DH ate lunch there last week and it was great! I had the chicken plate lunch mentinoed earlier that was really good - accompanied by a very potent drink in a pineapple! Try to get a table that faces the front of the building where you have views of the plants. :mickey:

Natazu
01-29-2009, 01:45 AM
It is one of our favourite places to eat. My DW fav is the Crab cakes, so that's what makes her so crabby :scared:

At Kona, I order kind of an appetizer meal, sort of a Polynesian Dim Sum. The house bread is great, a meal on its own. Then, Crab Cakes, Pot Stickers, Sticky Wings, and the Shrimp Roll.

Marceline
01-29-2009, 02:14 AM
I've had lunch at Kona twice. I very much suggest the crab cakes and the yummy potstickers.

The bbq pork tacos rocked my world and the banana creme brulee was from heaven....they even bruleed a big half of a banana on top, AND :crazy: there is chocolate on the bottom. :tasty: