PDA

View Full Version : Want to move

julyjewel
01-27-2009, 03:14 PM
I'm so tired of PA weather! My husband and I are seriously considering moving down south after i am done with nursing school. I would love to see a palm tree in my yard! I guess I'll have to hold until I graduate in Dec. 2010 and then start looking.

DizNee143
01-27-2009, 03:22 PM
im with you on moving!!
me and my hubby are starting to think of virginia and north carolina more and more...not even really for the weather..but for living..its so much cheaper to live there...
hopefully within the next year we can move..:cloud9:

Strmchsr
01-27-2009, 03:52 PM
Ya'll come on down. It's a nice 75 degrees here in south Alabama today. However, if you're going to move south you need to learn 1.) How to say "ya'll" 2.) What grits are and 3.) That BBQ is one of the essential food groups not an activity (to clarify - cooking hot dogs and hamburgers is "grilling out" not BBQ. BBQ has sauce and lots of it).

Dsnygirl
01-27-2009, 03:57 PM
We're with you (and thanks, Chris, for the welcome & tips... :))... we're sick of Upstate NY weather & snow, taxes, cost of living in general... and the fact that w/ all the financial woes of the country, NY is just getting hit harder & harder and falling deeper & deeper in debt!! We honestly do love the little town we live in, I am a "fall" girl and love fall around here... and I can handle snow, 'til after Christmas. But January - April?? Yuck!! We're thinking about Virgina/NC area, too... but we'll have to see what the job market holds for my DH, as he's in the residential home building market. :( Not so good for job hunting right now... :blush:

** edited to add -- my DH wants a longer golfing season, as well, and we'd really like to be able to drive to our happiest place on earth... those are justifiable reasons, too, aren't they???

vicster
01-27-2009, 04:11 PM
WOW - I think I'm going with all of you. This winter in Chicago has been brutal. I lived in Georgia when I was a kid and I so miss it...What on earth am I doing here? I do like the change of seasons but this winter has been a bit much!

murphy1
01-27-2009, 04:15 PM
If you're a nurse, they will be fighting for you down here!

Strmchsr
01-27-2009, 04:26 PM
Hmmmm...I think I'm seeing a good way to grow my church - Intercot recruiting! You can't find a better place to live than Millbrook. Quaint little bedroom community only a short drive from the state capital (and only a 7 1/2 hour drive from WDW). I'll get my people on this. :D

One bit of caution to you potential snowbirds, though. We do have "summer" down here that can be as brutal as the northern winter (I lived in Plattsburgh, NY, so I have room for comparison). On the flip side, I did go golfing this morning which is a nice trade off.

ILive4Disney
01-27-2009, 05:30 PM
We went from New Hampshire to FL in 2004...LOVE the palm trees in the yard...especially stringing Christmas lights on them in my shorts...I have not regretted it once!! You just can't beat the weather.....and of course the proximity to WDW :mickey::mickey:

LauraleeH
01-27-2009, 06:05 PM
I am ready to move to Colorado. I love Denver. I'm dreading this summer here in Florida..it's already warming up :-o

deedeenmickey
01-27-2009, 06:06 PM
I agree with the southern guy!!! Ya'll come on down!! The more the merrier. I had some good BBQ for lunch today! Think of South Carolina the weather is great and we're even closer to WDW than VA or NC!

Dsnygirl
01-27-2009, 06:40 PM
If you're a nurse, they will be fighting for you down here!
:) I sure am... that's good to know!! Now... do you know any good home builders looking for an awesome estimator/financial guy?? :blush:

Speedy1998
01-27-2009, 07:06 PM
It does not get you any closer to WDW, but the economy is still good in Houston.

Our low tonight in 37 and our high tommorow will be in the mid 50s.

This weekend we are supposed to get into the 70s

cindchan
01-27-2009, 08:17 PM
I understand. I'm sick of winter myself. Sick of the cold. I plan to move to VA, once I get out of Grad school. Well, that's after I actually get into it. :blush:

Tinkermom
01-27-2009, 08:58 PM
Oh man I am with you all! I am so tired of the cold, gray, ice, and snow. :ack: I always tell my husband that I want a palm tree in our yard! We do plan on moving down south someday. Hubby has a 7 year plan.

Need a children's minister Chris??:D

MegPeg85
01-27-2009, 09:03 PM
To echo the fellow Alabamian....y'all should come down here!

I'm from Mobile - a 7.5-8 hour drive to Disney:mickey:

There are a few cold days (by cold I mean about a low of 30) but mostly it's a fairly mild winter (which I love).

Mobile also only has a 45 min drive to a beach and is 2 hours from New Orleans.

Aggie97
01-27-2009, 10:35 PM
I know I am in the minority, but we moved to GA 18 months ago, and I still miss the cold and snow! I've always loved fall and winter. :(

Strmchsr
01-28-2009, 08:19 AM
Need a children's minister Chris??:D

Actually, Lisa, yes I do. It's only part-time right now, though.

julyjewel
01-28-2009, 01:22 PM
I am in an accelerated program since I already have a degree. I will have my BSN in nursing in Dec. 2010. I just can't stand it up here anymore. The Pittsburg area is such a depressed place and grey most of the year. My husband works in the biotech field, So I wouldn't think he would have a problem finding a job either. It's just finidng a nice suburb in which to live. Thanks for all of your input!

kakn7294
01-28-2009, 03:51 PM
Hey julyjewel, you aren't enjoying this weather we're having today? I think it's beautiful. I don't like when the temp's in the teens or below but the snow doesn't bother me. In fact, I kinda like it.

julyjewel
01-29-2009, 11:32 AM
I just want a new start, that's all.

thrillme
01-29-2009, 05:51 PM
I've lived in San Antonio my entire life. It's only slightly cool in the winter (mainly late December to early Feb) right now it's about 60-65 it was a frosty 32 this morning but only till about noon. In the spring we'll see mid 80-90's in the Summer it's HOT HOT HOT 90-100+ and in the fall we'll be in the 80-90...Yes...we almost ALWAYS have a green Christmas. It's easy to put off hanging lights because it's just too warm.

23 years ago we got some snow in January. It was exciting. It snowed an ENTIRE foot and the entire city practically shut down for three days.

Don't come unless you pack some of that COLD to share.