PDA

View Full Version : Room Upgrade

4ubie1
01-27-2009, 01:45 PM
I have often seen people mention that they get a room upgrade when they arrive at their resort. I was just wondering how this occurs. Is it at the whim of the person checking you in?? Do you actually ask for it when you arrive?? Does it cost you anything since it is technically an upgrade? :confused:

Thanks!:D

Strmchsr
01-27-2009, 02:18 PM
You can ask to have your room upgraded and pay for the upgrade. The only time a "free" upgrade usually happens is if there is some mistake on the resort's part (like they overbooked your room category or your room was messed up, etc). So, it's a pretty rare thing and not something to count on.

KylesMom
01-27-2009, 02:42 PM
We have been "upgraded" on a few separate occasions at no charge - All Star Sports placed in a Preferred Room from Standard booking, Contemporary Standard Wing to Water View two times and WL Standard View to Woods View once.

On one occasion at CR, they had to upgrade us since we had paid extra for a King bed & no standard view rooms remained. At WL two years ago, they were overbooked on Standard View rooms so they transferred us to Woods View. I could hear the CMs discussing what they were going to do with us, and they never mentioned it was an upgrade, but knowing the class of rooms at WL I knew we had been transferred to Woods view.

I would never blatantly ask for a free upgrade, and I've read from a few CMs here that the more you ask, the less likely you'll be upgraded. However, when pixie dust is given to us, we're pleased to accept it! :mickey:

DreamFinder2
01-27-2009, 06:43 PM
If I'm not mistaken, the CM checking you in doesn't do the room assigning. It's done a few days before you arrive, so it's pretty much set prior to your checking in. (if I'm wrong, please correct me, anyone)

Last time we stayed at GF on our 10th anniversary, we were upgraded to concierge, and the CM checking us in, simply asked us to wait until someone could take us over...she wasn't on the computer long enough to do any sort of assigning/changing of our room, which leads me to think the upgrade was already in place.

spoiledraf
01-28-2009, 06:33 PM
We were shocked to get an upgrade to the best room in the house at the BW, but we were in in a Rose Garden Suite and thats not too much below the top of the line rooms. While I have mentioned an upgrade would be very acceptable when I ade our reservation, I made no mention of it at check in, and had a smile end to end as I sat on the balcony over looking Cresent Lake.

TammiMcMan
01-28-2009, 07:03 PM
If I'm not mistaken, the CM checking you in doesn't do the room assigning. It's done a few days before you arrive, so it's pretty much set prior to your checking in. (if I'm wrong, please correct me, anyone)It really depends on the resort and occupancy rates. Typically the deluxe resorts don't pre-assign standard rooms. The check-in CM's simply choose from a pool of available inventory when you arrive. Many times though, upgrades are given prior to arrival, although check-in CM's do have the ability to make a little magic themselves.