PDA

View Full Version : 16th Epcot Flower and Garden Festival **Updated with Details**

John
01-27-2009, 09:56 AM
New: ‘Cinderellabration’ Topiary, Pirates Adventure Zone, Pixie Hollow Playground

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. – An elaborate “Cinderellabration” topiary and an environmentally friendly Green Garden will bring fresh springtime flair to the 16th annual Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival March 18-May 31, 2009. Amid a colorful tableau of flowers, plants and topiaries, Walt Disney World guests of all ages can explore myriad exhibits and activities geared toward gardening and outdoor fun. Weekend Flower Power concerts will pump up the volume and spread a groovy vibe at America Gardens Theatre in World Showcase.

Each year, Disney gardeners channel their creative energy into presenting an intricate topiary display against the backdrop of Spaceship Earth. This year, Cinderella and Prince Charming, Snow White and the seven dwarfs, Sleeping Beauty and Prince Phillip, and Belle and Beast from “Beauty and the Beast” will debut in all their “blooming finery” as the grand front-entrance topiary during the 75-day festival.

New gardens, events and children’s play areas offer more reasons to visit the 16th annual festival:

Green Garden– Anyone can create an environmentally friendly garden; here’s where guests will learn about low-water-use gardens, incorporating native plants into their garden and recycling.

Pixie Hollow – Colorful topiaries of Tinker Bell and her friends from Walt Disney Pictures’ “Tinker Bell” will sprinkle pixie dust over this playful garden designed just for kids.

Pirates Adventure Zone – Peter Pan, Captain Hook and Croc topiaries will lure young swashbucklers to this interactive space designed for exploration and adventure.

Special Environmentality Celebration (April 24-26) – This special event will showcase how to keep the planet green through solutions like reducing waste and using friendly bugs.

Throughout the festival, more than 70 topiaries will decorate the park landscape and showcase the extraordinary craftsmanship of Disney gardeners. Sweeping floral beds and exhibits will feature 30 million blooms. A Fragrance Garden at the France pavilion will tell the “love story” of plants and perfume, and the English Tea Garden at the United Kingdom pavilion will explore the art and history of blending tea plants. The art of bonsai will “wow” guests at the Japan showcase.

Other festival highlights will include:

Flower Power concerts -- Popular bands will rock the open-air America Gardens Theatre every Friday, Saturday and Sunday at 5:15, 6:30 and 7:45 p.m. The concert lineup is slated to include new acts like Harold Melvin’s Blue Notes, plus pop favorites like Davy Jones, Chubby Checker & The Wildcats, Tony Orlando, Jose Feliciano, Herman’s Hermits starring Peter Noone and other top acts.

Minnie’s Magnificent Butterfly Garden -- Hundreds of butterflies will flit inside a walk-through screened enclosure that includes a live exhibit showing how caterpillars form a chrysalis and emerge as butterflies.

Disney Gardening at Home presentations -- Disney horticulturists will share gardening tips and lead guests in a hands-on, take-home activity.

The Great American Gardeners series -- Gardening celebrities and authors from across the country will reveal their gardening secrets.

The Garden Town Festival Center -- Guests can shop for festival merchandise, attend speaker presentations and demonstrations and ask gardening questions of the experts.

Simba’s Birthday Celebration -- A lineup of topiary characters straight from Walt Disney Pictures’ “The Lion King” will greet guests at World Showcase Plaza.

Poster Signings -- Artist Heather French will sign festival posters each Friday, Saturday and Sunday from 11 a.m.-9 p.m. at Canada Garden Retreat.

More Festival Celebrations -- An Art in the Garden celebration of plein air artists and a Kids Paint Out will occur March 27-29; a Florida Farmer’s Market celebration will take place May 8-10. More celebrations will bloom throughout the festival.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Detailed Press Release on Flower Power Concerts (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showpost.php?p=1838706&postcount=20)

Detailed Press Release on Festival Fun Facts (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showpost.php?p=1838713&postcount=21)

Detailed Press Release on Great American Gardeners Series (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showpost.php?p=1838718&postcount=22)

Detailed Press Release on Kid's Activities (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showpost.php?p=1838722&postcount=23)

CaptainJessicaSparrow
01-27-2009, 10:14 AM
Anyone know when Characters in Bloom will be?

mouseketeer mom
01-27-2009, 10:15 AM
We'll be there this year. Thanks!:mickey:

princessgirls
01-27-2009, 11:37 AM
It all sounds just wonderful!

I can't wait!!!

I've been stuck in this deep-freeze in the Northeast since New Year's.

Spring and Garden Festival!!! Whoo hooo!

Julie:mickey:

Tinkerbelly84
01-27-2009, 12:58 PM
This year will be the first time that I get to experience this. I'm so excited!

Kim Possible
01-27-2009, 05:06 PM
i'll be there, so excited! i'm planning on going opening day

ryobi88
01-27-2009, 08:08 PM
will be there the first week of may cannot wait

peemagg
01-31-2009, 05:53 PM
Does anyone know when we might know the other activities that are planned are going to be out? Especially the master gardeners.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
01-31-2009, 06:20 PM
So, not sure if anyone updated or not, but Characters in Bloom will be March 28-30th this year. Right before my birthday!!

joanna71985
01-31-2009, 06:38 PM
I can't believe I'm missing F&G this year. This theme sounds really good. :(

hoop de do
02-01-2009, 10:28 AM
Thanks John. We'll be there, just don't know exactly when. It's a great time to visit the WORLD. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Kim Possible
02-02-2009, 12:18 AM
So, not sure if anyone updated or not, but Characters in Bloom will be March 28-30th this year. Right before my birthday!!

ahh thats so sad its the week after i leave! so like disney to do that to me! lol

cindchan
02-02-2009, 09:00 PM
This is my first Garden Show at Disney!! I'm so excited! :mickey3:

like2workout
02-03-2009, 09:11 AM
i'm going to try to make it there for characters in bloom again this year. i hope some rare characters will be out! i went last year for the first time - it was a very nice time!

cindchan
02-03-2009, 08:33 PM

Aww! that'll be right after I leave. Darn. But I'll still get to see some of the stuff. ^_^

dixielandings
02-11-2009, 09:18 AM
So...what's the theme?

And what was it last year? I was there and I can't remember...

FenwayGirl
02-11-2009, 01:26 PM
I will be there too! The last time I was in WDW in May was 16 years ago. I still remember that a large part of the topiaries were from Fantasia.

cindchan
02-11-2009, 08:52 PM
I soooooooo look forward to this!! I'll miss the character ones, as I leave the 26th. Oh well. I'll still get to see some of it! :thumbsup:

justpooh
02-16-2009, 05:01 PM
How long are the shows at the American Pavillion? Do you know if they will have the 7:45 show on Friday nights? Since the fireworks are at 8?

Figment!
02-26-2009, 03:35 PM
11 Hit Makers of 1960s and ’70s Bring Groovy Vibes to Epcot During 2009 Flower Power Concerts

Walt Disney World Resort Press Release

February 24, 2009

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. – Harold Melvin’s Blue Notes, popular for their Grammy Award-nominated single “If You Don’t Know Me By Now,” and other hit makers will strike nostalgic notes during Flower Power concerts each weekend of the 16th annual Epcot International Flower and Garden Festival, presented by Disneynature, at Walt Disney World Resort.

The spring shower of hit songs from the 1960s and '70s begins March 20-22 with opening-weekend performances by Davy Jones, known for a string of pop singles including “Daydream Believer,” and continues each Friday, Saturday and Sunday through May 31. Some of the other returning acts include Paul Revere & The Raiders, The Ventures, Jose Feliciano and Chubby Checker & The Wildcats.

Flower Power concerts take place at the America Gardens Theatre at 5:15, 6:30 and
7:45 p.m. each Friday, Saturday and Sunday of the festival. Concerts are included with regular Epcot admission.

Here’s the lineup (entertainment and show times subject to change without notice):

March 20-22 – Davy Jones “Daydream Believer”
March 27-March 29 – Paul Revere & The Raiders “Good Thing”
April 3-April 5 – The Turtles featuring Flo & Eddie “Happy Together”
April 10-April 12 – Herman’s Hermits starring Peter Noone “I’m Henry the VIII, I Am”
April 17-April 19 – The Ventures “Hawaii Five-O”
April 24-April 26 – Harold Melvin's Blue Notes (NEW) "If You Don't Know Me By Now"
May 1-May 3 – Chubby Checker & The Wildcats “The Twist”
May 8-May 10 – Ricky Nelson Remembered featuring The Nelsons
“(Can’t Live Without Your) Love and Affection
May 15-May 17 – Jose Feliciano “Light My Fire”
May 22-May 24 – The 5th Dimension “Up, Up and Away”
May 29-May 31 – Tony Orlando “Tie a Yellow Ribbon”

Figment!
02-26-2009, 03:38 PM
Fun Facts Flourish across Landscape of 16th Annual Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival

February 24, 2009

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. – With new, vibrant gardens, popular Disney character topiaries and colorful celebrations, it’s time to party during the 16th annual Epcot International Flower and Garden Festival, presented by Disneynature, March 18-May 31 at Walt Disney World Resort. Among this year’s fun festival facts:

30 million blooms dress the park throughout the festival, which runs 75 colorful days.

As part of this year’s Celebration theme, guests can enjoy a commemoration of Cinderella’s coronation day as a “Cinderellabration” featuring royal guests including Prince Charming, Sleeping Beauty and Belle – all as intricately designed topiaries. Other topiary merriment includes: Simba’s Birthday Celebration in a classic scene based on the Disney animated film “The Lion King” and Be Our Guest featuring the entertaining characters from “Beauty and the Beast.”

More than 50 Disney character topiaries include Aladdin, Lady and the Tramp, and Snow White and the seven dwarfs. Classic Disney characters Mickey Mouse, Minnie Mouse, Donald Duck, Pluto and Goofy strike topiary poses doing their favorite outdoor activities in the new, garden-themed playground Let’s Get Moving.

Little princesses can come dressed up and show off their costumes in the all-new daily Fairy & Princess Procession in the new Pixie Hollow-themed play area.

More than 500 native butterflies representing up to 10 species reside in Minnie’s Magnificent Butterfly Garden, a gazebo-type enclosure filled with lush plants and measuring more than 40 feet in diameter. Guests can stroll through the screened habitat to view the colorful butterflies. Among the garden’s two dozen nectar plants are Cape Royal plumbago, passion flower, coral honeysuckle, blazing star, butterfly bush, scarlet milkweed and canna lily.

300,000 bedding plants are installed for the festival.

Two butterfly topiaries are on display. Also, Doc, Grumpy and the rest of the seven dwarfs appear at the Epcot entrance with intricate topiary detail that includes beards of palm fiber. Perfume bottle topiaries represent Guerlain perfumes in the Fragrance Garden at the France pavilion.

At least 25 different plants, grasses and mosses of various colors, including pink and red begonias, dusty miller, palm fiber, palm seeds, ficus and lichen, are used to create and define features of the festival topiaries. More color has been added to the topiaries than in any previous topiary presentation.

More than 15 floral, herbal and spice ingredients of 10 popular perfumes are revealed in the Fragrance Garden presented by Guerlain at the France pavilion. Guests can sniff the enduring fragrance Shalimar to discover botanical notes that include lemon, Arabian jasmine and vanilla. Some components of nine other Guerlain fragrances include mimosa, magnolia, rose, nutmeg and vetivergrass.
At the Green Garden exhibit, guests can learn tips on how to create their own environmentally safe garden, including information about low-water-use, native plants and recycling.

Forty-five “flower towers” of impatiens line Innoventions Plaza.

100 floating mini-gardens, each three feet in diameter, of multi-hued impatiens provide splashes of color on two ponds that border the walkway between Future World and World Showcase. There are also 15 large gardens, each eight feet in diameter.

750 container gardens of flowers, herbs, plants and vegetables in clay pots, barrels and urns enhance the landscape throughout Epcot.

300 Walt Disney World horticulturists are needed to install the festival landscape, topiaries and many exhibits; 100 Epcot horticulturists maintain topiaries and other festival displays.

It takes more than one full year to prepare for the annual festival.

The festival’s Flower Power is bolstered by weekend appearances of musical hit makers of the 1960s and '70s including Harold Melvin’s Blue Notes, Davy Jones, Paul Revere & The Raiders, Herman’s Hermits starring Peter Noone, and Jose Feliciano – a total of 11 acts this year.

Figment!
02-26-2009, 03:40 PM
Great American Gardeners Plant New Ideas for Guests At 16th Annual Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival

February 24, 2009

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. – Gardening expert and author Joe Lamp’l, familiar across the nation as the host of PBS’s “GardenSMART,” is among 11 experts who will be participating in the Great American Gardeners series during the 16th annual Epcot International Flower and Garden Festival, presented by Disneynature, at Walt Disney World Resort.

Lamp’l, also known as joe gardenerâ, will appear at Garden Town in Future World East next to Universe of Energy April 17-19. The Great American Gardeners series, which is featured each Friday-Sunday from March 20-May 31, is presented in partnership with the American Horticulture Society.

Some of the most respected gardeners and nature experts in the country reveal tips and share entertaining stories during the presentations open to all Epcot guests at noon and 3 p.m. with special presentations from a Guerlain perfume expert May 8-10 at 1 p.m. and 4 p.m. Scheduled to appear (presenters and times subject to change without notice):

Jon Carloftis (March 20-22): Author of First a Garden and Beyond the Windowsill, Carloftis offers insightful tips to integrate plants and nature in every aspect of life – from interior spaces to urban scapes.

Shirley Bovshow (March 27-29):Garden designer and TV host Bovshow presents gorgeous edible gardens that not only provide food but offer style and function in the garden.

Susan Belsinger (April 3-5): Culinary herbalist, author and photographer Belsinger informs about the magic of herbs from garden to kitchen in a sensory experience of fragrance and flavor.

Felder Rushing (April 10-12): Renowned horticulturist, NPR host and author of award-winning Passalong Plants, Rushing shares practical tips for all-year beauty using tough shrubs, flowers, herbs and even “designer” vegetables grown in containers and flower beds.

Joe Lamp’l (a.k.a. joe gardener) (April 17-19): National TV host, author and gardening expert Lamp'l talks about some of the best tools and accessories around today that make your gardening life easier.

Jeff Lowenfels (April 24-26): America’s longest-running garden columnist and author of Teaming with Microbes: A Gardener’s Guide to the Soil Food Web, Lowenfels will explain the science behind organic gardening and teach practical applications to eliminate the need for chemicals in yards and gardens.

Joe Washington (May 1-3): Landscaping enthusiast and TV host Washington talks about the new focus in your landscape, water-smart designs and tools for overcoming drought conditions.

Tom MacCubbin (May 8-10): Florida garden writer, media personality and Extension Agent Emeritus with the University of Florida, MacCubbin shares how to make your landscape pay its way by growing foods you can put on the table.

Raymond Western (May 8-10): Guerlain’s director of education and perfume expert Western offers insights into the history of fragrances and explores the relationship between plants and perfume.

Melinda Myers (May 15-17): TV host and nationally known gardening expert Myers shares simple, creative ideas for saving time, energy and money while being kind to the environment and growing a beautiful landscape.

Robert Bowden (May 22-24): Gardening expert, author and director of lush Harry P. Leu Gardens in Orlando, Bowden discusses plants with unusual textures, habits and colors for weekend fun with the home landscape.

Rita Randolph (May 29-31):Speaker, plant collector and famous for Randolph’s Greenhouses, Randolph demonstrates how to create unusual and eye-opening plant combinations with her canvas of choice – containers.

Figment!
02-26-2009, 03:42 PM
Kids Explore Flower Festival Fun at Epcot

Pirates, Pixies and Petals, Oh My!

Walt Disney World Press Release
February 24, 2009

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. – Imaginations will take flight and set sail as children explore new, vibrant gardens and adventurous activities at the 16thannual Epcot International Flower and Garden Festival, presented by Disneynature, March 18-May 31, 2009, at Walt Disney World Resort. The park’s bountiful garden of fun also will bloom with themed playgrounds, immersive scavenger hunts, a special Fairy & Princess Procession and floral vignettes budding with beloved Disney character topiaries.

To welcome families into the festival, a royal topiary court invites guests to celebrate Cinderella’s coronation day as a special “Cinderellabration” at the Epcot entrance. The signature topiary display, showcasing Cinderella’s royal moment, is designed in honor of Disney Parks’ new “What Will You Celebrate?” vacation initiative.

Throughout the rest of the theme park, families will enjoy the cascades of color at every turn, strolling through floral scenes made famous in Disney animated films, including “The Lion King” and the upcoming “Tinker Bell and the Lost Treasure.”

Little ones can get moving – literally – in a special garden-themed playground featuring Mickey Mouse, Minnie Mouse, Donald Duck, Pluto and Goofy. The Let’s Get Moving play area encourages kids to climb and explore. And there will be plenty of “pixie power” in a Pixie Hollow-themed play area, with everyone’s favorite fairy, Tinker Bell, featured in a playful garden. For the little pirates of the family, another themed adventure area will feature Peter Pan and Captain Hook.

Aladdin and Lady and the Tramp will join other cherished characters making topiary appearances throughout Epcot, which is veiled with 30 million blooms of sweeping floral beds and exhibits.

Other family-friendly exhibits include Minnie’s Magnificent Butterfly Garden – a distinctive garden filled with hundreds of free-flying butterflies. And guests can learn how to create their own environmentally safe garden, including information about low-water-use, native plants and recycling, while kids enjoy a playground at the Green Garden exhibit.
Entertainment is available for the whole family throughout the festival. The Flower Power concert series, which stars pop hit-makers of the 1960s and '70s, will have guests be-bopping and grooving to classic tunes at the America Gardens Theatre every Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Some of the other activities sure to keep the “little gardeners” entertained at the 16thannual Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival include:

* Pixie Hollow Fairy Garden (adjacent to Mouse Gear in Future World), with special hands-on activities for children, a play structure and colorful topiaries of Tinker Bell and her friends; daily Fairy & Princess Processional at 2 p.m. where kids can come dressed up and show off their costumes; they can also get their face painted with their favorite fairy, flower or insect; plus, meet the director and producer of the upcoming fall release “Tinker Bell and the Lost Treasure” March 21 at 10:30 a.m. and 1 p.m.

* Pirates Adventure Zone (adjacent to the Germany Pavilion in World Showcase), an interactive play space designed for exploration and adventure greeted by Peter Pan, Captain Hook and Croc topiaries.

* Let’s Get Moving (adjacent to the Imagination! pavilion in Future World), a recreational garden where children can climb and explore, featuring Mickey, Minnie, Pluto, Donald and Goofy topiaries demonstrating their favorite outdoor activities. Here, kids can climb aboard EVOS and Weevos Playsystems.

* Green Garden (adjacent to the Morocco pavilion in World Showcase), a unique garden, which includes a playground, where guests can learn how to create an environmentally friendly, low-input garden of their own.

* Minnie’s Magnificent Butterfly Garden (adjacent to Mouse Gear in Future World), where hundreds of butterflies inhabit a screened-in gazebo lush with foliage and color.

* Character Topiary Scavenger Hunt (behind Spaceship Earth in Future World), a family-oriented challenge to locate favorite Disney character topiaries throughout Epcot.

* Earth Station (Test Track Walkway, adjacent to the butterfly garden), where kids can discover fun activities and how to positively impact Earth.

TheVBs
02-26-2009, 03:57 PM
How cool! I can't wait! :mickey:

joanna71985
02-26-2009, 04:09 PM
I can't wait!

beksy
02-27-2009, 09:45 AM
This is my first Garden Show at Disney!! I'm so excited! :mickey3:

Me too! I love the theme! Now to get the camera ready...

cindchan
02-27-2009, 08:04 PM
Whoot!!! Thanks for all the info! I can't wait to get there and see everything!

Yea! I'm going to be there the weekend that Davey Jones is there!!! :waycool:

Kim Possible
02-27-2009, 08:43 PM
i am actually going home on the 21st, but i think i may have to change my schedule to go to epcot on the 21st becuase i LOVE the tink movies! hehe

:tink:

tlhewitt52
03-02-2009, 08:14 AM
Can someone explain what Characters in Bloom is to me I never heard of this before and we will be there March 28th leaving that day but maybe can hit this event before going home!!

joanna71985
03-02-2009, 12:53 PM
Can someone explain what Characters in Bloom is to me I never heard of this before and we will be there March 28th leaving that day but maybe can hit this event before going home!!

Characters in Bloom is a weekend where rare and/or unusual characters are out in Epcot. When I went in 2007, I was able to meet:
*Esmeralda
*Jessie, Woody, and Buzz together
*All 7 Dwarves...individually!!
*Disney Bear (but it was the same weekend as the Doll and Bear festival)

Floridian Yeti
03-02-2009, 03:49 PM
Thanks for all the info - we're going to F&G Fest (I like to call it the Flower and Garden and Food and Beer Festival) the first week in May, but now I'm thinking about an additional day trip to check out "Characters in Bloom", that sounds like fun. I always take more photos at the F&G Festival than during any other visit.

May 2nd is my birthday, so I'm going to take advantage of the free day deal. I love it in WDW at that time of the year - almost always perfect weather, and just the right number of people.

joanna71985
03-02-2009, 06:01 PM
From what I've heard, Characters in Bloom is in March this year.