PDA

View Full Version : Non-Park Activity Tips

silentbob
01-27-2009, 09:35 AM
We're headed down to WDW for 7 days, staying at POFQ from May 23-30, with my wife, 7 year old son and 2 year old daughter. We went six times last year, for 1-4 day trips, so we've done almost everything.

This time we want to relax and do some stuff outside the parks. I have a few ideas of things, like the Ft. Wilderness campfire, but does anyone have some great relaxing things for a family like this?

Ideally, we want to get up early, do the parks, come back for a nap, then have dinner and do some fun/releaxing stuff at night. We don't want to wear ourselves out.

TinkerbellT421
01-27-2009, 10:13 AM
DBF and I actually enjoy going to DisneyQuest at DTD and play some of the new and old video games. Thats always fun for us. We do some walking and shopping around in DTD. We enjoy stopping in at the magic shop and watch them do some card tricks which are always really cool, and they always like to pick the kids to help them with the tricks. Kids always get a huge kick out of the tricks! We enjoy walking on the boardwalk at night and watch the shows. Magic shows and stuff like that. Those are really neat and funny. We also liked watching the movies on the beach across from the beach club. That was very relaxing and so pretty and nice. Just being on the beach right next to the water and watching a really cute disney movie. I am sure the kids would love that. Hope some of these ideas help.

silentbob
01-27-2009, 10:43 AM
The idea about the movies is great. I thought an evening at the Boardwalk would be great. We could wander around, have dinner at Epcot, and catch the movie at the Beach. Do you know when those happen?

faline
01-27-2009, 11:37 AM
Miniature golf is a favorite activity of many at Disney World.

silentbob
01-27-2009, 04:57 PM
Good thought. We played Winter Summerland last year in April and had a good time.

PlutoToo
01-27-2009, 05:44 PM
Watch the Electric Water Parade from the GF, WL, FW, or Cont. beaches or marinas at night. Take the wagon ride around FW. Walk around the other resorts and look at theming.

mouseketeer mom
01-27-2009, 08:47 PM
Rent water mice or a Pontoon boat for a spin around Seven Seas lagoon. That is my families favorite non park activity. We are also trying the horseback riding at Ft. Wilderness on our next trip.

silentbob
01-28-2009, 10:04 AM
We keep trying to see the Electrical Water Parade, but the kids tire out before 9-9:30 most of the time. I want to give it a shot this time from the Poly beach.

Is it safe to rent water mice if my son is not a strong swimmer? I swim all the time, so I know I could get him if necessary, but I don't want to risk too much.

KylesMom
01-28-2009, 10:30 AM
Is it safe to rent water mice if my son is not a strong swimmer? I swim all the time, so I know I could get him if necessary, but I don't want to risk too much.
Absolutely. The water patrol folks are very strict abot "boat etiquette" on the lake, and if someone is driving in an unsafe manner, they'll pull them. However, if you're still uncomfortable, it might be better to rent a Suntracker pontoon boat so the whole family can be together.

DonaldsBFF
01-28-2009, 02:26 PM
We have always enjoyed the carriage ride that you can get at POR by the dock. It takes you through POR and FQ. It is so beautiful to see the resorts and the sound of the horse shoes clicking on the ground is like something out of a fairy tale. The price is very reasonable as well at $35 for up to 4 people, and there is no tipping. For some reason they can't accept tips, I tried on our trip over Christmas.

faline
01-28-2009, 02:28 PM
Life jackets are available for boat rentals.

WelshieLover
01-28-2009, 05:13 PM
One thing I would like to try is the Segway tour they have at Fort Wilderness.

A friend of ours raved about a behind the scenes tour they did at Animal Kingdom.

If you are staying at one of the DVC properties. They have a couple of different activities everyday. That look like they could be fun.

mouseketeer mom
01-28-2009, 07:20 PM
We keep trying to see the Electrical Water Parade, but the kids tire out before 9-9:30 most of the time. I want to give it a shot this time from the Poly beach.

Everyone is provided with a life jacket and they patrol the water mice like crazy. They are very strict with safety. My daughters, ages 13 and 11 at the time, got "pulled over" a few times.

silentbob
01-29-2009, 11:39 AM
Thanks for all the great feedback. I talked it over with my wife, and I think we're going to try the carriage ride, the water mice and the beach movies. We've never done any of these things before, so it should be great.

Now, if only Disney would release park hours for May so we can plan!

TinkerbellT421
01-29-2009, 12:17 PM
The idea about the movies is great. I thought an evening at the Boardwalk would be great. We could wander around, have dinner at Epcot, and catch the movie at the Beach. Do you know when those happen?

Sorry I didnt get back to you right away. I am not 100% sure what time the movies are there. I THINK it might be 7:30? but Im not one-hundred percent. But you can find out if you ask your Concierge desk at your hotel. They usually have a list of what the movies will be played and at what time. :thumbsup: