PDA

View Full Version : Room w/ a View

4ubie1
01-26-2009, 02:39 PM
I know that it depends on where you are staying but I was wondering if you thought it worth the extra $$$ for a room with a view. I myself am never in the room long to sit and enjoy a view. So I have not cared to spend the $$$ for a view. But what do you think??

CleveRocks
01-26-2009, 02:54 PM
If it is possible to edit your poll, I suggest you do so. I suggest this in a helpful way, not a rude way.

At the Value resorts and Moderate resorts, most people see a view as pretty unimportant, since your window and door open onto an exterior corridor, the walkway that everybody uses to get everywhere. So if you have your curtains wide open to enjoy the view, then everyone walking by has a great view of YOU.

But at a Deluxe resort, your window faces whatever you are facing, without a walkway in the way. As such, it's a fairly private window, without people walking by, and so on.

This is why I can't vote in your poll as it now stands. At a Value or Moderate, there's no way I'll pay extra for a view, since I won't have my curtain opened a lot. But when I stay at Polynesian in 12 days, I paid a lot extra for a Magic Kingdom view.

KylesMom
01-26-2009, 02:54 PM
Because we stay for an extended period of time, we've always decided to go with a standard view unless a special comes out to make the upgraded view close to the same price as standard. Last year M/J snagged a WL courtyard view for less than what we were paying for standard under A/P rates, which was fabulous. It was truly enjoyable to sit on our balcony in the evening, overlooking the falls and the courtyard in general. That being said, I don't think I would have paid a premium price for it.

Usually, if we were to pay to upgrade to a courtyard view from a standard view at WL it would cost us an additional $560 or thereabouts. Since we're already at the top of our budget scale for our room, we bypass the upgrade and hope that pixie dust will be sprinkled on us and an upgraded view will be bestowed upon us at check-in. If it's not, we're just fine with the standard view. :mickey:

mouseketeer mom
01-26-2009, 02:59 PM
We always pay for the view. We do use our patio/balcony and our vacation extends from the parks to our resorts. (mostly the Poly)..our trips have always been enhanced by our views, usually that of the castle/lagoon.

Disnamic Duo
01-26-2009, 02:59 PM
If you stay at the CR, a MK view is a must (to us). AKL, same thing...the Savannah view is what it's about (again, to us).

But, at a value or moderate, we'd rather not spend the extra money. We don't think it's worth it. We got a free upgrade once at CSR, and it was a nice view of the lake out our 1st floor window, but not worth paying extra for.

SBETigg
01-26-2009, 04:11 PM
I think a view is well worth paying for and I love to have one. But it's not a must, so I had to vote "other." We mix it up. Sometimes, we go for the view. Other times, we're happy with "garden view" for the savings. Having a view is pretty spectacular though, and we are in the resort enough to make use of it.

DawsonAR
01-26-2009, 06:28 PM
In the past I would have said that the view wasn't worth it....until....we had a view. Now we can't live without it. It is well worth it to us.

Pete Olsen
01-26-2009, 06:51 PM
We've had rooms with a great view at Beach Club and Saratoga Springs. Our rooms at POFQ and CBR didn't offer a any special view. We loved the great views, but not enough to make it a priority when selecting a resort. Walking through any of the resorts is usually enough of a "view."

KAT1811
01-26-2009, 07:26 PM
For us the view isn't important, the only views we are interested in are the ones we get out and about in the World. That being said we have three children (a fourth in 7 short weeks) and spend VERY little time in our room. There is so much to do in WDW that we would much rather be out touring instead of in the room itself. Good luck!

BeccaO
01-26-2009, 07:54 PM
Personally, the view is in the top 3 of things we want when we go to WDW. It just adds to the magic when you can open your door onto your balcony and hear all the sounds coming from the MK or the boats on seven seas lagoon or bay lake, I love going to sleep at night with the door open and listening to all those wonderfull sounds as I fall off to sleep, then hearing them bright and early in the morning as the sun comes up. It's nice when you take younger children back in the afternoons for naps to sit out on the balcony and take in the view.:thumbsup: It's nice when you have very young children and have to take breaks, to also have something for the adults to do instead of look at the same 4 walls or watch TV.

GrmGrninGost
01-26-2009, 08:27 PM
As a rule, it's not that important. We spend most of our time at the parks. But, it is nice to look at something other than a parking lot! :mickey:

cindchan
01-26-2009, 08:30 PM
Many of the moderate hotels seem to have outside corridors. So what does the view matter? In the resorts, with balconies, yeah I'd want a decent view! But by and large, it doesn't really matter.

animalkingdomguy
01-27-2009, 08:46 AM
If the parks weren't part of the vacation experience, then yes view is important. Since we go to our room to sleep and spend most of our time out and about the view is of minimal importance. We do enjoy the themeing of the resort and will walk around enjoying the scenery and landscaping but looking out of our window to see a parking lot doesn't trouble us much.

Ian
01-27-2009, 08:48 AM
As a general rule, we couldn't care less. The only exception would be at the Contemporary where I definitely would pay the extra to get in the Tower with the MK view.

In the other resorts, though, I've often found that Disney's definition of an upgraded view is questionable at best. Once I paid for a water view room and ended up looking at the pool!

beksy
01-27-2009, 09:52 AM
If its just me and my sister, dbf, etc. we don't care about the view that much. We aren't in the room that much to pay the extra. Of course, if we were upgrading to a deluxe and could afford a MK view we would definitely go for it (at the CR it would be a must!). The exception to this would be when/if my mom is able to come with us. She has some major health problems and some days is in the room most of the day. For her we would definitely stay in a MK view room since she would benefit from it. If she's able to go with us in Dec. we are stretching the budget and getting a CR room with a MK view (her dream resort and dream view plus she can enjoy the fireworks and stuff if she's too tired to go out! She loves the monorail and has dreamed of staying here for years when we were off property and riding through.) We never know when her last trip will be, so yes, we will pay extra so she can make the most of it.

4ubie1
01-27-2009, 01:49 PM
My mentality is the same as many people here. I don't spend enough time in my room looking out the window to really benefit from the view. But I wonder if that would change if I actually had a view.;)

And I must agree..some resorts like the ones with the walkways on the outside would be pointless to request a view. When I stayed at POR, all you could see out our window was the walkway and anyone who walked by.:blush:

tinksmom02
01-27-2009, 03:23 PM
I voted "other." Our first POFQ I paid for a water view room, which was worth it, IMHO. We had a nice view of the river. Our 2nd POFQ trip, there weren't any waterview available, so we "survived."

While planning for our upcoming Poly trip, I was determined to get a Theme Park view room. BUT that room category was more $$ over the week than getting Garden View club level, so we're doing that instead.

Polynesian Dweller
01-27-2009, 04:25 PM
At the Poly a view of MK across the lagoon is goregous especially at night, it wouldn't be a trip to WDW without it. I'D likely pay at the Contemporary and GF as well but don' t think it would be a must elsewhere.

diz_girl
01-27-2009, 04:42 PM
I put no because I had a Garden View room at the Poly two years ago and I was perfectly happy there. I plan to stay there next time and I'll probably request the same room in Tokelau.

I had a courtyard view room at WL last month and I think that I had the room with the worst view in the whole hotel. It was 2031, which is in the corner of the courtyard, basically above the laundry room. While being close to the elevator came in handy, my room had a concrete wall, so you had to stand up to see anything. But when I stood up, I got a view of Artist Point, because it juts out in front of my room. So I couldn't see anything. Thankfully, with my MJ rate it was only about $7 per night more than the AAA Woods View room that I would have booked otherwise, so I was only out $50.

Pirate Granny
01-27-2009, 08:03 PM
I voted "other" as if I'm in a value or moderate I really don't care...BUT...if I'm at WL or YC I prefer a room with a view as we like to sit on the patio before breakfast and right before bed...our best view was at GF...and I spent as much time as I could spare on that patio...SMILE just to think about it...
:pirate:

Goes4FastPass
01-29-2009, 01:44 PM
I think many people have a romantic expectation of standing on their balcony and gazing at Cinderella's Castle but tif hey ever (really) after a Park View stay took the number of minutes they spent looking at the park during the course of thier stay and compared that to the additional cost of that view they would find it's very expensive.

We enoy WDW and all of the resort guest priveledges we want at value and moderate resorts.

And people who don't book view rooms at WDW aren't jealous of those who do. I just booked a room where I opted to pay extra for a view but it's in Shanghai, not Walt Disney World where the super tip top hundreds extra view is facing a theme park.

dtootsie42
01-29-2009, 01:51 PM
We have had rooms with views and rooms without views....have to say that it really does not matter to us. Just being at Disney is always a delight!

Dec. 1997---Contemporary
Dec. 1999--Poly
June 2000--Disneyland
Dec. 2001---Poly Concierge
Dec. 2003---Poly Concierge
Dec. 2005---Poly Concierge
Nov. 2007---Poly Concierge
Oct. 2008--DisneyLand

Disney_Barbie
01-29-2009, 02:20 PM
But at a Deluxe resort, your window faces whatever you are facing, without a walkway in the way. As such, it's a fairly private window, without people walking by, and so on.

I agree w/ CleveRocks, I would not personally upgrade unless we're at a deluxe. Plus for us, Disney trips are not always about the parks. Especially when we book a Deluxe we intend to have a more laid-back relaxing vacation with sleeping, breakfast on the balcony, ect. So thus when we stay @ a Deluxe and intend to spend a lot of time in the room, YES, it'd def worth the extra $$$ to us. Where as a Value trips is going to be ALL about hitting the parks for us, thus if the only time we're gonna be in the room is while we were asleep, we'd choose not to pay more, even if (as CleveRocks pointed out) the rooms didn't look out into corridors.

thumperbug
01-29-2009, 07:09 PM
I think if I ever stayed at AKL I would want a Savannah view. Maybe a MK view at the Poly. But requesting a view has never crossed my mind. We sleep and shower in our room. When we stay at WL...we can go to the beach to watch fireworks if we want.

At BC and BW we can see parts of Illuminations from the resort. For us, we would rather pay for the convenience to the parks rather then for a view we may look at for 5 minutes a day.

When I went to Vegas..i requested a room with a view of the strip...now that was worth the extra $20 a night.

ThanxForNoticin
01-29-2009, 07:14 PM
I voted 'other' because the only resort we feel is worth the upgrade for a view is the Animal Kingdom Lodge - for a savannah.

mom2morgan
01-29-2009, 07:48 PM
I do pay for "water view" at the Moderates. That can be very, VERY loosely interpreted, but at least it means I'm not going to be looking at a parking lot. That I could NOT enjoy.

Darbylew
01-29-2009, 07:58 PM
We are never in the room long enough to enjoy
a view. We love the parks and that is what we
are there for. :thumbsup::mickey:
BEEN THERE DONE THAT AND GOING BACK IN
MARCH 2009 :D

Disney Yankee
01-31-2009, 12:34 PM
I do like a view, but since we don't spend too much time in our room, we don't make it a priority.

Hull-onian
02-01-2009, 10:51 AM
Well we stayed at POFQ on the river side. All we heard was boat motors. We'd get back at night and couldn't see anything. We'd get up in the a.m. and leave. To me, it doesn't matter.