PDA

View Full Version : Sell me on the Polynesian!

emmatink
01-26-2009, 12:09 PM
Okay so we have booked our next trip to the world and this time we have decided to try out the Polynesian but I am not 100% sold on the idea yet. Please give me some feedback. The rooms just look kind of old and dated to me. I like the idea of being close to MK and hopefully the pictures that I have seen of the Poly are better seen in person. Thanks:mickey:

SBETigg
01-26-2009, 12:19 PM
It's possible you've been looking at the older, dated rooms. The Poly has undergone room refurbishments in the past few years. You want to make sure you're looking at the newer pictures.

What I love about the Poly is the casual, remote feel. You walk around the lush, tropical grounds and almost forget you're not on an island somewhere. But then you get a glimpse of the castle and you remember you're in Disney World. The beach is a great place to relax, watch fireworks, and catch the Electric Water Pageant. Captain Cook's, the quick service place, is open 24 hours, making it easy to grab snacks or refreshments at any time. Great restaurants and fun shopping at the Great Ceremonial House. The transportation options are the best anywhere, right next to the TTC.

Jeff
01-26-2009, 12:26 PM
We have stayed at the Poly, Contemporary, Boardwalk Inn, Swan, Beach Club, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Riverside, Pop and Music.

The Poly is our favorite by far. We like the rooms, like the pool, like the atmosphere, like the beach area, like the restaurants, love the transportation. The only draw back to the Poly is the price!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tikiman
01-26-2009, 12:28 PM
As much as I love the Polynesian my advice would be not to stay there if that is how you feel going into it. I would pick a resort you are excited about staying in.

emmatink
01-26-2009, 02:09 PM
I think part of the problem is that we have stayed at the GF which is supposed to be the best so now I will compare every place to it! I really do want to try out other resorts though so please more possitive input please.:blush:

tikiman
01-26-2009, 02:23 PM
I can give you many positives about the Polynesian including things like it is now an AAA 4 diamond resort like the GF is rated. Its Concierge is the model concierge for all the other resorts. Many of the new ideas for resorts are tested at the Polynesian and it ranks higher than the GF in repeat guests. My oly concern is that I want to give helpful advice and usually when someone starts out saying they are not sold on the resort and it seems old and dated (when it has some of the newest additions of any resort) seems to me that it is someone going in with the wrong attitude. When I get asked about suggesting a resort I feel it is safer to give someone advise on a resort they are more interested and excited about. Nothing against your impressions of the resort, just want to give advise that will point you down the right path to a great vacation.

mouseketeer mom
01-26-2009, 02:57 PM
I always tell people, once they stay at the Poly, there's a very good chance they won't ever want to stay anywhere else. I can't say enough good things about our stays there.

goofy78
01-26-2009, 11:38 PM
i absolutely love the poly and would recommend it every time. however, if you want to be sold on it then go see for yourself! you will always wonder if you never go. who knows, maybe you will like it more than the GF, then again, maybe you won't. you won't know until you try. i have stayed in the garden view and in concierge directly across from cindy's house. either way it is still my favorite resort. i hope you have fun and enjoy your stay with either one! :mickey: :tikki::tikki::tikki:

Aggie97
01-27-2009, 01:40 AM
While we've loved staying at the GF, the Polynesian is the resort we keep returning to time and time again! Here are the things that make us love the Polynesian more than the GF:
Unbeatable transportation options, with an easy walk to the TTC
Lush, tropical grounds that make it feel like a resort-within-a-resort
More unique CS menu at Captain Cook's, including Tonga Toast for breakfast and tasty flatbreads and sandwiches
Fun shopping options
Beautiful beach with hammocks
Tropical drinks from the Tambu Lounge or pool bar
Cool volcano pool area

Whatever you decide, have a great trip! :mickey:

javamama
01-28-2009, 03:08 PM
Last year was my first time staying there, and as you can see I've been the WDW a bunch of times as a kid and as an adult w/and w/out my own kids. I've stayed everywhere from Ft Wilderness to some of the best rooms in the Contempory as a spoiled brat kid in the '80's w/my sisters. Last year we had an amazing stay at the Poly, I'd never stay any place else again whether it be in the Princess Suite we were in last year or a regular room there it was great. All the transportation options we had were great, I loved the access to the monorail, the TTC, the ferry, the buses all at our fingertips---I have two toddlers so it made things easy for us, we also had a party of ten last year. The resturant choices in the resort were:number1: The character breakfast at O'hana's was fantastic the best we've had by far, the dinner at Kona Cafe was great and the service at both places was excellent. I don't know if your doing Club Level but that was amazing as well, we booked this years stay before we left last year--no joke. We will never stay in another resort, oh and don't let me forget that Dole Whip machine in Cap't Cook's---yummy:cloud9: You'll have a nice time, it's really paradise. I've been to Hawaii several times, and it really reminds me of it alot.

princessimagineer
01-28-2009, 03:58 PM
I can give you many positives about the Polynesian including things like it is now an AAA 4 diamond resort like the GF is rated. ...

tikiman... are you THE tikiman? like the one with the site about the poly?

okay now back to the thread: i love the poly so so much. its recently refurbished so everything inside is brand new (such as flat screens etc..). its convenience with the monorail and a WALK from the TTA are great. the view to MK is good too, esp watching the fireworks from the beach (which has the soundtrack wired. the lobby is beautiful and the restaurants are top rated.

if your not married to the idea of staying there, then dont feel like you NEED to. but its always fun to try something new every time.

Septbride2002
01-28-2009, 04:01 PM
We have stayed at the Poly, Contemporary, Boardwalk Inn, Swan, Beach Club, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Riverside, Pop and Music.

The Poly is our favorite by far. We like the rooms, like the pool, like the atmosphere, like the beach area, like the restaurants, love the transportation. The only draw back to the Poly is the price!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:exactly::exactly::exactly:

epceddie
01-28-2009, 09:14 PM
The pool at the Poly was ice cold on a day when the temperature was in the high 70's back in January and there was a family of ducks in the pool with everybody.
It was fun to watch the ducks, but the pool wasn't very impressive for a deluxe resort.

pooh's pal eeyore
01-29-2009, 12:53 PM
We have stayed at the WL, Poly, and GF. For the difference in the price between GF and Poly, I would stay at the GF. I was not the least bit impressed with the Poly. It seemed dark and dreary after staying at the GF. The GF is bright and airy. We are going back in June and are staying at the GF.

Pirate Granny
01-29-2009, 01:31 PM
NO HOT TUB...booooo
:pirate:

thumperbug
01-29-2009, 07:02 PM
I've stayed at GF 3 times but have to say I enjoy the WL more. GF has the monorail advantage but I didn't think the service at the GF lived up to its reputation.

I have heard great things about the poly. Like a previous poster stated, it has never been a resort on my list of places to stay but we ate there on our last trip and I have to say my mind was changed.

But, next resort we plan to try at WDW will be AKL.

Aurora
01-30-2009, 11:06 AM
Oh, it's so hard to predict what you will like, but here's why the the Poly is one of my all-time favorites. Forgive me for the long post.

My top 10 of the Polynesian, in no particular order:

1. The tropical world atmosphere. I've been to Hawaii, and they have the feel totally right. Lush plants, waterfalls, music, hula dancers, a magical torch-lighting ceremony.

2. The proximity to the Magic Kingdom. You can see the castle, hear the boats, even hear the music of castle performances drift over the lagoon to the Poly beach. (A BIG PLUS FOR YOU: You'll hear the Haunted Mansion music over the lagoon on nights they have Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party!!)

3. The volcano pool. Poolside bar, zero-depth entry and one of the best pool slides on property -- better than Wilderness Lodge, IMHO. You can watch the MK fireworks while swimming in the pool and you can listen to the fireworks music under the water cause they have speakers below the surface.

4. The monorail. Yes, you can catch the monorail from the Poly's Great Ceremonial House (the lobby) to the Magic Kingdom, the Ticket and Transportation Center, the Contemporary and the Grand Floridian. But one of the Poly's best kept secrets is that it is the ONLY resort on Disney property where you can also get a monorail direct to Epcot by WALKING through the resort directly to the Ticket and Transportation Center, which is adjacent to the last longhouse at the Poly. And by adjacent I mean right next door.

5. The room sizes. The Poly has the largest standard, non-Vacation Club rooms on property.

6. The shops. I absolutely love all the souvenir and sundries shops here.

7. The Electrical Water Pageant. A bit dated but still entertaining little "parade" on the lagoon of lighted figures with music at night.

8. The luau. You have to do it once.

9. 'Ohana. Great all-you-can-eat dinner on skewers and a wonderful character breakfast.

10. The marina. Besides the fact that it's gorgeous, you can rent canoes, canopy boats, pontoon boats, sailboats or Sea Raycers here.

I have only a couple of cons for the Poly -- the high price tag and the fact that balconies do not come with every room (this was very disappointing for a friend of mine who stayed there last year -- make sure you request one if this is important to you).

But you can see why the price is so high -- the amenities and perks are fabulous.

Pictures do not do it justice, but PM me and I'll send you some of my own photos.

KarenP
01-30-2009, 11:26 AM
The Polynesian was the deluxe resort I was least excited about trying. I am not exactly sure why. It just did not appeal to me. I decided to give it a try anyway a few years ago and now that I have, it is my favorite Disney resort. I love everything about it!

Marymouse2003
01-30-2009, 12:10 PM
You'll never know, unless you try it. If you have the $$$, go. Many folks here absolutely love Poly. I've stayed a few times, even since the re-furb, but my heart belongs to CR. That's just me. The Poly is beautiful and everything ppl say it is. I finally figured it out. I just don't like the theme. I didn't even like HAWAII. I know, I know...It's just me. So, like I said, if you have the $$$, go for it, experience. You may love it hate it. At least you'll know. The main thing, you'll be @ WDW.:D ENJOY!!

javamama
01-30-2009, 02:00 PM
So are you sold yet on the Poly?

mickeefan
01-30-2009, 03:55 PM
We love the Poly and it keeps drawing us back like a magnet. We tried the Boardwalk and most recently the Grand Floridian. We enjoyed both, but that just reinforced that the Poly is our favorite.
If you click on my name, my homepage has over 100 pictures of the Poly.

emmatink
02-25-2009, 10:50 PM
Thank ya'll for all the posts! I do have one more question though. Because I did not request a specific building when I made the original ressie can I call back and have them update my requests? I know everyones advice is to have all room requests on the original reservation. Thanks again!

Belster
02-25-2009, 11:02 PM
Ditto to Aurora!!! We love the Poly and wish that is was in my price range again...I would always chose to stay there.

goofy78
02-26-2009, 01:51 AM
Thank ya'll for all the posts! I do have one more question though. Because I did not request a specific building when I made the original ressie can I call back and have them update my requests? I know everyones advice is to have all room requests on the original reservation. Thanks again!

I would definitely call back if you have any specific requests. Whether or not they honor them is a different story (although they usually do) but if you don't ask then the answer is already no. Give it a shot! And btw, enjoy your stay at the Poly. It is a wonderful resort and my absolute favorite.

jarajam
02-26-2009, 11:11 PM
LOVE LOVE LOVE the Poly! Super convenient (monorail goes right through it), gorgeous resort that makes you feel like you really are on a tropical island,and great food options as well. And oh yeah, I do love the Kona coffee! Last year when we went we were walking to the main building one morning and out hopped 2 bunnies and a duck. They let me 2 youngest walk right up to them and pet them! It was like it was out of a fairytale (or a Disney movie I guess!:mickey:)

emmatink
02-27-2009, 09:06 PM
I know I am getting a little off topic now but that is a cute story about the bunny and the duck. Actually one of my favorite Disney memories from when I was a little girl was a time when we camped in FW and there was a family of bunnies living off in the grass right beside our campsite. I thought that was so neat :mickey: