PDA

View Full Version : Hoop Dee Doo Review

khunter
01-26-2009, 11:14 AM
We are going to Disney in May with our two boys, 6 and 3 1/2. My husband and I want to do the Hoop Dee Doo Review. What type of entertainment will there be and do you think our boys will enjoy it? I know that is kind of stupid, it is Disney after all, I am sure that they will love it?

AwPhooey
01-26-2009, 11:55 AM
I've been to HDDMR three times (once when I was very young and once on each of my last two trips) and I love it!

The show is a western vaudeville style revue by a group called the Pioneer Hall Players. They perform songs and skits while interacting with the audience throughout the evening.

The meal includes salad, cornbread, fried chicken, smoked barbecued pork ribs, mashed potatoes (I think), baked beans and strawberry shortcake. Beverage options include soft drinks, iced tea, juices, coffee, beer and wine (I think other alcoholic beverages are available, but I don't remember what they are).

Based on personal experiences and the expressions/reactions of those seated around me, kids and adults alike enjoy this show. Heck, my 11 month old niece sat quietly throughout the show, taking everything in.

khunter
01-26-2009, 12:10 PM
Thanks so much for the info. I just got a little worried because my kids have gotten so excited about everything that we have told them about except that one. When we told my oldest one about it last night he said that didn't really sound very fun.

CU Tiger
01-26-2009, 12:29 PM
Our family LOVES the HDDR:thumbsup: and you and your family should too. The show is fun and they get the crowd involved. Your kids will even be part of the show at the end. The dinner is pretty good too. We think the chicken is great:number1: and the strawberry shortcake is tasty. :mickey:

Disneypixie513
01-26-2009, 12:38 PM
We've been to HDDR twice, and I think it's my favorite place to eat. When we went in '07, it was a surprise for my sister and I, and I was very skeptical of whether i would like it or not.. I Loved it! The food was very good (best cornbread i've ever had!), the show was just too funny. I'm always a bit sad when it ends.
So I think you should definately gve it a try!

tiggerandpooh63
01-26-2009, 12:49 PM
Ditto:thumbsup: We just went last week for our second time and had a great time. While we were childless this trip there were lots of young ones around us who looked to be having a great time. The players work hard to ensure everyone is having fun. And yes, there are other alcoholic drinks available (as well as children's drinks with special light up ice cubes) for extra charges. They will also take your picture - the package was about $31 if you wanted the pix. Have a great time!:mickey:

DisneyBabies
01-26-2009, 01:35 PM
We made an ADR for DS's first trip for the Hoop Dee Doo and we have heard nothing but good things about it. I hope DS likes the corney jokes, but he's only going to be 5, so he should laugh his head off :D.

They will also take your picture - the package was about $31 if you wanted the pix. Have a great time!:mickey:

I didn't know they did this! Where do they take your pic at and who is it with?

Thanks for all the great info everyone!

beksy
01-26-2009, 01:45 PM
They take the pic when you first arrive after you check-in but before you actually go into the building. It is not with anyone but is a prop of boxes with the show's name (like Chef Mickey's if you've been there). Your entire group stands behind the boxes and has the pic taken. We loved the HDDR and are going back on our next trip.

handmaidenofprincesses
01-26-2009, 09:23 PM
I've been to HDDR twice, and have loved it both times. My advice? Don't spend a fortune on Category 1 seating. The 1st time I went, we paid almost $300 for our family to sit in Cat 1. Last time, we sat in Category 3 because we were on the Dining Plan and I can honestly say it was as good if not better than Cat 1 seating.

The view was just fine and Sixbit Slocum (one of the characters) surprised us by coming to visit during our meal. He spent 15 minutes talking to us and the people next to us, which was wonderful! (If only I had brought my brain and remembered to pull out my camera...>.<)

When we were in Cat 1, I was behind some tall people, so my view of the stage was obstructed and none of the characters came anywhere near us the whole time.

So to sum it up, Category 3 was (a) cheaper, (b) had a better view, and (c) provided character interaction. Go category 3!:number1:

HoosierDisneyFan
01-27-2009, 05:46 PM
I been to the Hoop Dee Doo Review twice (both in 2008) and enjoyed it both times. Once with my 11 (now 12) my year old son who loved the show (and food). Once with my 60+ year old mother who also enjoyed the show. Hard to please everyone but Hoop Dee Doo Review comes close.

Hull-onian
01-29-2009, 10:45 AM
:welcome: to Intercot. Hope you like it here. We are good group to obtain alot of information. I sent you a "pm". Let us know what you decide.

SheLovesDisney
01-29-2009, 12:15 PM
We took our kids last August when they were exactly the same ages your kids will be...They absolutely loved it! My 3 1/2 year old was asked to come up on stage and be part of the show and had a blast. My six year old was cracking up the entire time. The only thing we weren't crazy about was the food. But the show itself is wonderful for all ages! Have fun!!

Unique1
04-06-2009, 08:20 AM
Can someone tell me what the best (quietest) night to make reservations for the Hoop-Dee-Doo Review (mon,tues, wed. etc.)?

I know it's Disney and no night is less crowded but I thought maybe weekday?:mickey:

Thanks Unique1