PDA

View Full Version : Taking A Break From The Magic

DisneyEpcotDad
01-25-2009, 02:31 PM
After being a steady guest since 1991 and a frequent guest the past 3 years, I'm going to take a break and not visit for at least 2 years. Last trip is tomorrow for a quick 2 day visit while older sons are there. I think waiting for some attractions to change and new ones to appear will make the experience even more enjoyable and fresh when I return.
Are any other of you frequent guests taking a break or have you taken a break in the past?:write:

Goofeygal
01-25-2009, 03:04 PM
Not me I couldn't stad to take a break for disney. LOL I am addicted.

jpH/keD
01-25-2009, 03:43 PM
I am not nearly as frequent a visitor as you but we are also taking at least a 2 year break. We have small children and would love to go more often but due to finances we are waiting. We have been twice since 2005 and loved each trip. But we stayed in value hotels and the last trip about killed my DH and me! We stayed during Thanksgiving week and it was soooo crowded and we stayed for 8 days. The combination of the crowds, busses and length of the trip was too much for us. I did love to see the Christmas decorations and we did MVMCP which was alot of fun. BUT next time we go we are planning on doing it RIGHT! We will either stay at the Poly or CR due to the monorail. And we plan to skip AK all together. Also our kids should be 8 and 10 by then and we want to swim with the dolphins and they need to be stronger for that than they are now.

But I am a disneyphile so I have to get my fix on Intercot! I do love all things Disney and love to hear new things. I also love the characters so I do have to go back while my kids still like them too!!

Also if anyone has a way to make your feet not hurt after walking around all day please share!!! :thumbsup:

dtootsie42
01-25-2009, 04:32 PM
We usually go every two years. 2009 would be our next trip and we are trying to figure out if we can do a trip this year with one daughter in college and the economy going south.

Our youngest graduates from high school in June and is planning on taking the fall off and then taking classes at the local community college. Our middle daughter has been working for the past two years and finally decided she may want to attend the community college. Yikes, that would mean three in college in January of 2010... two at the local community college and one at the University...we thought if would swing it financially then 2009 would be a last hooray for several years.

pdrlkr
01-25-2009, 05:13 PM
We say it every year but end up going back anyway! :blush:

Maleficent_vf
01-25-2009, 10:14 PM
I've been thinking that after our March trip it will be time for a break...but I've said that before. May go back to the every other year pattern.

AHOTE
01-25-2009, 11:20 PM
I've been to WDW every year since 1971 but this year is doubtful. I can't see a way to justify the cost. I've been out of work now for 18 months, unemployment only lasts so long and savings will follow quickly. Job prospects aren't good in most areas but they are worse for a mature worker. I will set my sights on 2010 and hope the economy changes for the better.

vizsla
01-26-2009, 05:13 AM
We say every year that we are going to take a break and go somewhere else for vacation but it seems we always end up at WDW.

RocknBev
01-26-2009, 01:17 PM
DH told me we were taking a break and not going next year.....I don't know who I will go to WDW with but I am sure I will be making a trip....taking a break....who is he kidding?

On the other hand, I see the point. I want to go skiing in December this year and I know he will make me choose. With this tough economy, it is tough to do both and we have been going to WDW every year for quite some time. I think the break will make the trip that much better when we return.

mouseketeer mom
01-26-2009, 04:57 PM
I would go to WDW for every trip, but we alternate. One at WDW, one elsewhere. We usually take two trips/year, so it does balance out. I have to keep DH happy too!

jrkcr
01-26-2009, 06:03 PM
We spent a total of 20 days at DL/WDW last year. And we're going to DL for a week in March. And after every trip, I say we will be not going back for a while, we must save our money. And then I think about how quickly our kids grow up, how soon a few of them will be leaving the nest, and then we go on a disney vacation again! :mickey:

I have a short list of other vacation destinations that I want to share with the kids-mostly national parks. And we may have a family cruise next fall(not holding my breathe!). And with 2 kids going off to college in the next few years, we really need to start saving more money. So we may take a year or two off.
But we'll see. ;)

SBETigg
01-26-2009, 06:09 PM
We used to go every five years, then every three years, now we average every two years. I could probably go every year, but my husband would tire of it, I think. Our current system is working out well for both of us. We take relaxing beach vacations in our off years or visit new places.

Tinkerfreak
01-26-2009, 06:25 PM
We say every year that we are going to take a break and go somewhere else for vacation but it seems we always end up at WDW.

We say the same thing. We said last year was the last one. You know we been enough, can't pull the kids out of school anymore yada yada yada. These deals are hard to pass up though. My MIL has invited us to go for April vacation, FIL is retired miliary and DH has been talking about a possible Thanksgiving trip. Wouldn't that be funny if we went from planning on no trips to 2 in one year. You can bet I have been keeping my eye open for good airfare.

Greenlawler
01-27-2009, 12:25 PM
We normally go twice a year, although we did two WDW trips (one for the marathon) and one DL trip in 2008. We have already cut back and did not take the family (three boys) for the 2009 marathon this year, plus we only went for a four day weekend.

We have decided to go ahead and go this September, this will be the last year we don't have to pay for one of our boys, but we will take September 2010 off, and continue to just make the January trip a weekend outing with DW and I.

Stich8818
01-27-2009, 03:57 PM
For me I would like to go every year...but I know the wife likes to go she likes to go to the beach also. The last trip was 07.. we said then maybe 3 yrs later...but we kind of said ok..09 then now it looks like we will be doing the 2010. But the more my wife thinks about she may change the time between..our daughter is 8 now will be 10 when we go. She is afraid that she will loose interest in Disney...

beksy
01-27-2009, 11:22 PM
We took TEN YEARS OFF (98-08)!!! Of course it wasn't completly by choice. Mom has a lot of health problems and can't stand the heat, humidity, and crowds. Dad just wanted to travel to other places. So I have been to 46 states and most national parks and Maine numerous times (my 2nd fav place!). Then in 2007 I was taking a break from school and my sister (who loves Disney as much as I do) had just graduated so I decided to treat her to a "sisters week" at Disney. It was her first time flying, our first time staying on property, our first trip without either parent, etc. This was supposed to last us until I graduated from law school in 2011 but that last night we were trying to figure out a way to get back sooner. So instead of waiting we are going over New Year's in 2009 and then spending the first week of January (possible with Mom...Dad has to stay with his business :thedolls: but he gets too uptight anyway). Then somehow my Dbf got the idea that "he" wanted to visit Disney :secret: so of course I offered to tag along and use it as my Christmas present! So I went from waiting until 2011 to going in May! :party: Now where will we end up when I do graduate? ;)