PDA

View Full Version : Trip in March

PhilHarHarMagic
01-24-2009, 09:27 AM
We're going to DL in March (17-19), but want to spend the two days before somewhere else in LA, preferably around a beach area. Any suggestions on a great place to stay? 2 adults, and an 18 and 13 year old.

(if this thread isn't appropriate here, please move it!)

NotaGeek
01-24-2009, 11:32 AM
There are lots of beaches in the San Diego area ... or you could try one of the hotels in Santa Monica, then you could see more LA. Shutters on the Beach is amazing. If you want something in the OC you can try some hotels on Huntington Beach, close to DL and still great. Or anything down the coast in La Jolla. If you have a specific price point you're looking for I could suggest some hotels ... there are tons of inexpensive one-off hotels in the beach areas in SoCal, but lots of them are kind of dodgy. Check out Dana Point and Laguna Niguel ... or maybe downtown San Diego and you can have both city and beach!

Just an FYI, SoCal beaches are still really cold in March!

PhilHarHarMagic
01-24-2009, 02:52 PM
thanks for all of the suggestions - we were actually thinking of Santa Monica, so you've validated that. I've been to the Loews before and it was very nice but it is little on the expensive side, but what price convenience?

I have enough Hilton points to stay at the DoubleTree there, but it isn't right on the beach.

I'll continue to look for something!

BrerGnat
01-26-2009, 06:05 PM
Here in March, the beach will likely be foggy, cold, and likely rainy. If it is sunny, the highs will be only in the 60's-low 70's.

I hope you are not expecting to actually SWIM, or you better bring wetsuits. :D The water temp will be around 55 degrees.

Around here in March, the locals are up in the mountains, skiing and snowboarding...

Just a thought.

If you'd like to stick closer to Disneyland, Newport Beach is a lovely area. Lots of good places to eat, nice hotels, etc. There is a lot of boating/recreational stuff available which would be appropriate, given the weather. You could still get out on the water, just not IN it.

PhilHarHarMagic
02-04-2009, 10:34 PM
Got our Grand Californian portion booked today - we're very excited about that.

Got the point on the beach - we're looking at hanging on the beach, not in the water! I've never been in LA where the water was warm enough for me to swim.

Is Santa Monica beach area okay for walking/relaxing near? Newport Beach isn't out of the question, we were just looking at doing some things on the northern side of town early in the week.

NotaGeek
02-05-2009, 02:05 AM
Got our Grand Californian portion booked today - we're very excited about that.

Got the point on the beach - we're looking at hanging on the beach, not in the water! I've never been in LA where the water was warm enough for me to swim.

Is Santa Monica beach area okay for walking/relaxing near? Newport Beach isn't out of the question, we were just looking at doing some things on the northern side of town early in the week.
I love the Santa Monica Pier area ... tons of shopping and some good restaurants. There's a DoubleTree there that is a good deal if you can get in ... I actually just got and email from DoubleTree about their sale prices the other day ... check it out at their website. :thumbsup: