PDA

View Full Version : 120 days till animal kingdom lodge

playdead88
01-22-2009, 08:09 PM
We have 120 days till we stay at the AKL for the 1st time - im so bummed since may hours aren't up and I can't really plan yet - i need a boost - tell me how much I'm gonna love the AKL - I want to hear everything!

DreamFinder2
01-22-2009, 10:18 PM
It's fantastic! We'd stay there more often, but my DW isn't fond of the WDW bus system, so we've been on the monorail as of late.

AKL is a fantastic resort, though. I really appreciated the cozy-ness and all the little nookes and crannies you can find. The upstairs bar/lounge is a great place to spend time, and we both loved Boma...the hummus is AMAZING!!!

Also, make sure you splurge and go for the savannah view if you can. Sitting out on the balcony in the morning w/ a cup of coffee watching a giraffe eat is a pretty cool way to start your day :cool:

You'll love it!

bkfree
01-23-2009, 10:58 AM
We( me, DH,DD8 and DS10) just returned from our first stay at AKL and LOVEDDDD it. It was everything we expected and more.
We so loved the theming and the many activites and places to hang out at the resort.
The CM were all so fantatic and fun. The rooms and resort was spotless and housekeeping phenomenal.
They upgraded us for free to a Savannah room and this added so much magic. Watching the giraffes, Ostriches, elands and zebras from our balacony was awesome and kept our kids thoroughly entertained.
We enjoyed the pool, the large hot tub and the close proximity of Mara for snacks and counter service meals. Refillable mugs paid for themselves over and over again.
Our last trip we stayed at Yacht Club and loved it and was a little apprehensive about how AKL would stand up to it. While we did love the location and theme of Yacht Club, AKL offered us much more activities and lots of kid activities and a one of a kind atmosphere. The buses were always there and the waits minimal.
We are already planning our next trip and it will be hard not to return to AKL. BUT, we made a pact as a family to stay somewhere new each time.

passholderryan
01-23-2009, 10:59 AM
My wife and I just stayed at AKL Villas Sunday night. This was our first time there, and it was incredible. My wife was a little bumed at first becasue she wanted a savanna view. That quickly changed when she saw the view of the pool. We both agreed that as nice as it would have been to see the animals, it would have been a little boring after an hour. With that said, we don't have any kids and are partiers. I could see with kids how that would probably be different. We were on the fifth floor overlooking the pool in a DVC room (last minute deal for $200). The resort was great. There are many viewing areas to see the animals and sightsee. It was cold when we were there, but still took advantage of the pool (83-84 degrees). We ate at a couple of the restraunts, which were great. The bus system was quick. Hotel staff was excellent. My wife and I go up about once a month and usually stay in the moderates. This was a first for the deluxe (with the exception of the Swan/Dolphin), and I hope to find another last minute deal with them. I'm not sure how the regular rooms compare (interior) to the DVC rooms, but the resort is great.